What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 V Sharks

Panfa

Juniors
1.EDWARDS 2.MANSOUR 3.WHARE 4.NADEN 5.T'OO 6.MALONEY 7.CLEARY 13.LEOTA 12.KIKAU 11.MARTIN 10.TAMOU 9.KENNY 8.FISHER HARRIS 14.EGAN 15.YEO 16.LENIU 17.CAMPBELL GILLARD thats my team to take on broncos we will need experience up there and a tough forward pack this is our most important game of the season by far we win this and we have 1 foot in the top 8.

betcats

Referee
Luai had a huge first starting game, I tend to think there’s a bit of recency bias going on here. 10 weeks ago Naden was the same, but since we’ve seen more about his game there’s more realistic opinions about him. (Although he’s still good, don’t get me wrong)

I dunno, I’m very skeptical with all Penrith juniors, seen so many burn brightly early and then plateau out.

Luai's was impressive for his running game, he just blew a team apart and has a nice touch with the grubbers, he did not display the kind of understanding for the game that Burton showed on Friday.

Im not knocking Luai at all he definitely should have a crack at the 6 jersey next year, but I just think Burton will prove to be too good to hold back or move to another spot.

1.EDWARDS 2.MANSOUR 3.WHARE 4.NADEN 5.T'OO 6.MALONEY 7.CLEARY 13.LEOTA 12.KIKAU 11.MARTIN 10.TAMOU 9.KENNY 8.FISHER HARRIS 14.EGAN 15.YEO 16.LENIU 17.CAMPBELL GILLARD thats my team to take on broncos we will need experience up there and a tough forward pack this is our most important game of the season by far we win this and we have 1 foot in the top 8.

Looks good.

The only tweak is swapping Yeo and Leota. Leota has proven over the last few weeks that he has great impact when coming off the bench.

Other than that, I’d go with this.

OldPanther

Coach
Nathan Cleary.

Clearys handled it well for his age as a teen, he was very composed, he didn't it own like Burton did. Burton has talents that Cleary just doesn't have, the natural skill and vision we talk about cleary lacking Burton has in spades, trust me.

Well Nathan has played finals every year of first grade and is essentially the current NSW halfback with a series win. If Burton is more naturally gifted oh boy.

betcats

Referee
Well Nathan has played finals every year of first grade and is essentially the current NSW halfback with a series win. If Burton is more naturally gifted oh boy.

Yeah but let’s be honest, he’s not the superstar people had him pegged for early on.

Geez us panther fans can get carried away. Don’t mean that as a dig, but I’ve seen this so many times before.

betcats

Referee

They are different players. Burton will turn out the type of half that could play 6 or 7 with ease, he looks to just be a complete natural.

This was written in Natnan’s first season after that amazing cross field kick to Peachey, and whilst he’s shown flashes of good games since, he hasn’t kicked in like I thought he would.

You’re talking about Burton like he’ll be a superstar, I’d be very careful about that @betcats

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/na...rs-thump-sydney-roosters-20160808-gqny68.html

Cleary is kicking on fine, he had a rough patch of form to start the year but overall he is doing well. Stands up under pressure better than most halves, the kid is 22. You are one of his harshest judges, he carves up the sharks and you are in here trying to move him to another position. He is on his way to being a genuine star halfback, I have little doubt about that now.

Cleary is kicking on fine, he had a rough patch of form to start the year but overall he is doing well. Stands up under pressure better than most halves, the kid is 22. You are one of his harshest judges, he carves up the sharks and you are in here trying to move him to another position. He is on his way to being a genuine star halfback, I have little doubt about that now.

“Kicked on” means improved, what part of Cleary’s game would you say has improved since 2016/17?

He’s the same solid halfback that debuted, his game hasn’t developed at all past what we saw early on.

No doubt he carved up the sharks, but it wasn’t through typical halfback play.

People seem to think when I criticise Cleary I’m saying he’s a bad footy player, nothing could be further from the truth. I think he’s a really good footy player, I just don’t think he’s a really good 7.

OldPanther

Coach
They are different players. Burton will turn out the type of half that could play 6 or 7 with ease, he looks to just be a complete natural.

“Kicked on” means improved, what part of Cleary’s game would you say has improved since 2016/17?

He’s the same solid halfback that debuted, his game hasn’t developed at all past what we saw early on.

People seem to think when I criticise Cleary I’m saying he’s a bad footy player, nothing could be further from the truth. I think he’s a really good footy player, I just don’t think he’s a really good 7.

I think Maloney being there is helping and hurting at the same time. He'll learn a lot from Jimmy but Players from multiple clubs have said before that he likes to be in control. It's not a surprise Nathan and Jimmy both look better when they are in the team by themselves.

betcats

Referee

"it wasn't through typical halfback play'

Halfbacks don't run the ball now? They don't pile on pressure by forcing repeat sets and finding good field position? They don't initiate plays for their teammates and generally get the team around the park? lol I just find that comment ridiculous, he played a classic halfbacks game on Friday night.

OldPanther

Coach

Halfbacks don't run the ball now? They don't pile on pressure by forcing repeat sets and finding good field position? They don't initiate plays for their teammates and generally get the team around the park? lol I just find that comment ridiculous, he played a classic halfbacks game on Friday night.

Those runs never happen if he's at 9. His try was well infield from the play the ball and his line break was one pass wide of the ruck with Woods covering where the hooker would scoot and Fifita over committingto the player on Nathan's outside. The gap cam from Brailey not covering his spot outside Woods. Nathan doesn't have the acceleration to hit that gap from hooker. Also his pass for Edwards second try was perfect.

betcats

Referee
Those runs never happen if he's at 9. His try was well infield from the play the ball and his line break was one pass wide of the ruck with Woods covering where the hooker would scoot and Fifita over committingto the player on Nathan's outside. The gap cam from Brailey not covering his spot outside Woods. Nathan doesn't have the acceleration to hit that gap from hooker. Also his pass for Edwards second try was perfect.

I agree with a lot of what you said(I think he could potentially be a great hooker) but I don't see the two breaks he made as typical hooker play by any means, it was just eyes up footy which has been one of his biggest weaknesses so far. But you take those two runs out of his game on Friday and he still played brilliantly. Any good half should be able to spot some lazy defence and take advantage.

OldPanther

Coach
I agree with a lot of what you said(I think he could potentially be a great hooker) but I don't see the two breaks he made as typical hooker play by any means, it was just eyes up footy which has been one of his biggest weaknesses so far. But you take those two runs out of his game on Friday and he still played brilliantly. Any good half should be able to spot some lazy defence and take advantage.

The only way I could see it is if the club gets desperate trying to fit Luai and Burton with Cleary. Though that isn't a bad sounding spine by any means if a little inexperienced.

I think Maloney being there is helping and hurting at the same time. He'll learn a lot from Jimmy but Players from multiple clubs have said before that he likes to be in control. It's not a surprise Nathan and Jimmy both look better when they are in the team by themselves.

That’s a possibility, but you can’t simultaneously argue he’s kicked on & Maloney has impeded his development.

I was saying his best plays, ie. the parts where he carved the sharks up, weren’t traditional halfback plays.

Yes, halfbacks run ball, but it’s Cleary’s best attacking attribute. Not many 7’s are like that.

Sincere question you missed though, what part of Cleary’s game would you say has improved since 2016/17?

Those exact runs don’t happen, no one is saying that.

I’m saying exploiting tired forwards in the middle of the field is what good hookers do. That style of play suits him.

Not all halves have the ability to take advantage of the tired forwards, they might spot it, but running through the gap is a whole other matter.

I'm not arguing he's kicked on. I'm saying he's being impeded although should(you'd hope) learn some valuable lessons from Maloney.

I know you aren’t, I’m saying in general. The two things are quite exclusive of each other.

If he has been impeded then 2020 should be a breakout year.

I’d still at the least prefer to see him stand a bit wider in a traditional 5/8’s role so he could use that running game a bit more.

Latest posts