What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 V Sharks

hindy111

Post Whore
Cartwright was meant to be a superstar.
Juniors always are over hyped. At Parra its all about D.Brown. Sure he looks promising but M.Moses is 24 and perhaps the best attacking half in game on form currently. New isn't always better.
Cleary just like D Brown where talked like the next Thurstons. Cleary is doing fine. He is composed and a good half but I see more a Mitchel Pearce level. But he is only 21. Who knows how much he will improve when he is 24. Look how much Moses has improved this season.

hindy111

Post Whore
Your forwards might be what is stopping Cleary looking good. Same goes for your strike out wide. I mean its serviceable but no freaks. Imagine feeding the ball to Teddy or Latrell rather then Edwards and Whare.

Pomoz

Bench
Your forwards might be what is stopping Cleary looking good. Same goes for your strike out wide. I mean its serviceable but no freaks. Imagine feeding the ball to Teddy or Latrell rather then Edwards and Whare.
I think you mean't backs. Go forward isn't a problem for us we roll up to the oppositions 20 no problem. Camping in the 20 and being clueless how to score is the issue.

franklin2323

Immortal
My point on origin was. If we get enough skill in the side then Cleary won't need to do carve sides up. In fact may help have gaps for him run through more often.

GongPanther

Referee
How many Hookers in the league are on a $1 mill a season? None? Great, so lets get back to Cleary being our half back for the rest of his current contract. And if he is deserving of, and depending on the market, may he sign and stay on for another 5 years be that as it may.

He is the future of our club going forwards, as are a few of our current squad.

OldPanther

Coach

There's a reason the club wants to replace RCG with Lenui.

TheFrog

Coach
If I could steal any player from another club, it wouldn't be Teddy or Latrell. It would be Josh Hodgson. I reckon he'd turn us into contenders.

hindy111

Post Whore
And Parra will take him.Hopefully just needs a seachange. Forms been average. I heard this Lenui is best forward to come through in 10yrs.

It’s not the forwards, we don’t have an issue getting down field. Spend more time in the opposition 20 than any other team.

Strike out wide could be an issue, but traditionally Cleary hasn’t been great at spreading the ball.

It's not so much they don't get the ball, it's more like they get in each other's way in attack. The structure breaks down. Like you said we look better when each is the sole dominant half. This is something said about teams before. Two dominant halves don't work which is why Luai/Burton are a good 5/8 for us.

Maloney won a premiership with a dominant half.

last years premiers had two dominant halves.

It can be done, you just have to be able to adapt to it.

OldPanther

Coach
It’s not the forwards, we don’t have an issue getting down field. Spend more time in the opposition 20 than any other team.

Strike out wide could be an issue, but traditionally Cleary hasn’t been great at spreading the ball.

Slow PTB though. Particularly Reg which hurts more than good metres help. We also make good metres due to our backs. Mansour, To'o and Edwards run over 100m a game.

TheFrog

Coach
Look how much Moses has improved this season.
Moses has had patches of seriously good form for at least the last four years. They've been interspersed with complete garbage. If he gets to play a finals game next month, it will be his first.

OldPanther

Coach
Doesn’t matter how we get down field, we do.

Execution is the problem.

The argument is our forwards aren't great and go forward was the response. Fact is our pack is holding us back for a different reason than metres gained. It's why our attack in the 20m sucks. Because our backs can't carry the pack there.

I was talking about his time at the roosters. He & Pearce combined fine. Good players can adapt.

I don’t buy this idea Maloney has held him back, but we’ll soon know.

Funny coincidence we get better when they are on their own. Ivan had Brooks Dally M halfback last year so there shouldn't be an issue.

OldPanther

Coach
Assuming you are correct and they do in fact want to replace RCG with Leniu, it would have to have something to do with bang for buck, wouldn't it?

Yeah he's a victim of his big deal. Also Lenui is pegged as a very special talent. Apparently unlike other young blokes coming up throughout the game.

The argument is our forwards aren't great and go forward was the response. Fact is our pack is holding us back for a different reason than metres gained. It's why our attack in the 20m sucks. Because our backs can't carry the pack there.

What’s the other reason? It’s only RCG that’s slow at play the balls. Once you’re in the final 20 it’s all about execution.

Funny coincidence we get better when they are on their own. Ivan had Brooks Dally M halfback last year so there shouldn't be an issue.

Single games here and there, that’s not a good sample.

There’s also been more games without Cleary than those without Maloney, so it’s actually a really small sample.

Last year Maloney missed 4 games, we won 1 and lost 3

This year he’s missed 2 games, we’ve won both.

So overall 3 wins & 3 losses. That’s no better than when they play together.

On the flip side

Last year without Cleary we won 5 and lost 2

this year we’ve won 3 and lost 0

So 8 wins & 2 losses

If anything it’s Cleary getting in Maloney’s way, not the other way around.

Last edited: