What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 v Knights

WestyLife

First Grade
From the time. If they saw centre attributes in Burton who we knew could kick, certainly in someone same size that can't kick

Yeah they wanted him to be a centre because they had a halves combo. That link doesn't say anything about playing centre was due to his size excluding him from half.

soc123_au

Staff member
Maybe so but aside from Burton. Can you think of a tall 6 in the comp?
Not off the top of my head currently. GI went alright at 6 and he has a few inches on Burto. Laurie Daley would be a similar size as well going back a bit further. It's not the norm, but I doubt that aspect even really crossed Ivan's mind. Luai had done his time and was good enough to secure the spot. If Burton and Luai swapped ages I'd say the jersey would have gone the other way and Luai would have had to go elsewhere to get a shot.

Iamback

Coach
Not off the top of my head currently. GI went alright at 6 and he has a few inches on Burto. Laurie Daley would be a similar size as well going back a bit further. It's not the norm, but I doubt that aspect even really crossed Ivan's mind. Luai had done his time and was good enough to secure the spot. If Burton and Luai swapped ages I'd say the jersey would have gone the other way and Luai would have had to go elsewhere to get a shot.

I am not so sure. Ivan ran with May at 7 when Nathan did his shoulder that was Naden and Critta in the side. So there was no shortage of kicking targets.

Either way is a good problem trying to fit everyone in

As somebody who saw Fittler play when he was 17 in NSW Cup and when he made his debut at 18, I can say that, in my view, McLean is not as advanced as Freddy. Freddy was playing for Australia and NSW at 18 years of age. He was marking future immortal Mal Meninga in the grand final at 18 years of age. He stood out as a player as soon as he started playing. He was exceptional.

McLean is a good player, but lets not saddle him with the "good as Freddy" tag just yet. Good start, keep it going.
Not arguing about era's but I never said "as good as".

I said as "advanced as Fittler", meaning maturity and size.

We all know comparing era's is going to cause arguments as noone will ever know for sure.

I've been watching the Panthers since 1967, yes, the start, and this young fella is one of the best for his young age.

But none of the young ones in our club have been, so far, as good as Brandy, no matter what era.

martielang

Bench
Actually thought yesterday when we had some real momentum with the ball it was strange he didn't bring Toelau on. Even pre-half time he could've opened it up for us.

Kilkenny

Coach
I thought it was a spirited contest and the Knights gave it there all with there season on the line.

In a hard fought contest it was obviously pleasing to come away with the two points, no obvious injuries and no suspensions.

Short turn around this week, the Eels off a win, expecting another tough game on Friday night.

I thought Iongi had a solid debut so pleased for him.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
As far as the MP goes yesterday was a massive missed opportunity to boost the for and against.

That was a blow out for the taking but the team turned up pretty unenthusiastic.

Never mind the actual facts that Newcastle played their best game of the season.

Listening to Ivan's presser he was pretty happy with the way Penrith played.

Kilkenny

Coach
Never mind the actual facts that Newcastle played their best game of the season.

Listening to Ivan's presser he was pretty happy with the way Penrith played.
Certainly didn’t seem to be any lack of enthusiasm from either side from what I saw.

We probably could have and perhaps should have put the game away much earlier than we did but I’m not surprised Ivan was reasonably happy.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Ivan can't workout a plan to effectively play with a full 17. Having someone to cover injuries is cool but you are handicapping yourself by not using them
Our game plan allows us to carry someone whose primary role is injury cover.

That’s not handy capping it’s great coaching and a credit to our high performance team.