What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 v The Storm

The good things is I don’t think we can play worse than we did against the chocolate soldiers.
Probably not worth arguing but I do think we can play worse. Anzac Day was worse, second halves against manly, Dogs and Cowboys were all worse. Panthers are just so good and got the rub of the green to start the match. Hunts kicking game surely can’t get worse though.

If the players have any pride they will show some resolve in this match but they are getting beat. Just another year of Storm playing for a premiership and us just existing in the comp.

I’ll be watching but my expectations are even lower this week.

since77

Juniors
Storm beat Eels 32-14. We are a better team than the Eels. We should be aiming to do a lot better than that.
The Eels to their credit were actually pretty good most of the first half against Melbourne. Had two momentum changing against the run of play tries scored against them and they crumbled after that - much like the Dragons would have.

TheRev

First Grade
The Eels arent a dud side though.. bit like the Broncos.. the g.final side is still in there.. and if you let them play their style of footy they can score points fast... I spose at times we are like that also..

But I cant really explain why we have won more games than those 2 clubs.. seems like a psychological thing... but tbf those sides have lost a lot of close games... we honestly havent.. we either win big and strong.. or we get a pasting.... I dont really know the answer.. other than we cant get ourselves up for every round.. I mean noone can but we are probably running @ 90%, 60%, 90%, 60%.. and it just depends who we play on the week... but the Top4 sides are probably more like 80-95% each week. Flanno has to sort of bring us up for a big game and out-energise our opponent, but its rare that we can do that 2 weeks straight.

Ultimately I think its raw roster quality that is our limiter.. squeezing too much out of the lemon was the best quote I heard from Flanno all year, it just sort of popped out after a loss.. and I think its spot on.

Victoire

Juniors
The Eels arent a dud side though.. bit like the Broncos.. the g.final side is still in there.. and if you let them play their style of footy they can score points fast... I spose at times we are like that also..

But I cant really explain why we have won more games than those 2 clubs.. seems like a psychological thing... but tbf those sides have lost a lot of close games... we honestly havent.. we either win big and strong.. or we get a pasting.... I dont really know the answer.. other than we cant get ourselves up for every round.. I mean noone can but we are probably running @ 90%, 60%, 90%, 60%.. and it just depends who we play on the week... but the Top4 sides are probably more like 80-95% each week. Flanno has to sort of bring us up for a big game and out-energise our opponent, but its rare that we can do that 2 weeks straight.

Ultimately I think its raw roster quality that is our limiter.. squeezing too much out of the lemon was the best quote I heard from Flanno all year, it just sort of popped out after a loss.. and I think its spot on.
100% that is it. The team have been conditioned to shitness for years now, after the McGregor and Griffin eras. They are transitioning from that mindset, and can now be considered a team of "confidence players". That is, capable of good, to great, to excellent performances. When things go their way they can really click into gear and enjoy strong wins. On the flipside, however, when things don't go their way, the confidence vanishes and they tend to crumble, and suffer big losses. Little things like Suli getting KO'd in the Roosters game, losing Bird in that Dogs game, or even losing the toss and running into a gale against Penrith.

The hope is that we can continue the transition from confidence team, to confident team. We're running out of time (although it's not out of the question) to do that this season but, often, it's not something that occurs quickly. At the start of the year Flanagan admitted he was taking a longer view than just 2024, which was his suggestion that the journey to becoming a confident team is a long one

rasaint

Juniors
I try not to get angry and despondent posting on the forum. I am a very long term supporter but my chin is dropping a bit.

Any player that starts gets an NRL game has to be congratulated and will have shown ability. Most of us have been park players and that level of ability was it.

Generally, since 2018, we haven’t been able to attract higher class players other than Jayden Sua, with maybe Frank Molo, Moses Suli lower but ok. Other recruited players do their best and at times pull a good game but just cannot consistently compete. I don’t know why exactly we fail at recruitment but it’s probably a range of issues. I don’t want to say this or that board member or recruitment or coaching staff etc is to blame as I simply don’t know. Also, hyped juniors which made NRL level recently were pretty ordinary in that competition in the wash up and or left the club.

My point is regardless of the coach ( of course that is reasonably important) you have to have a good smattering of top class players. Unfortunately, our roster is simply weak for NRL level. They try hard and do compete on occasion but that is the extent. I believe that Shane Flanagan is doing his best with what he has but now I cannot see us even winning a match from here.

Latest posts