What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 vs. Canberra Discussion + Voting

Chainshada

Juniors
You're right..Wallace is consistant, but he's not creative. He needs a creative halves partner, which he sure as hell doesn't have in Norman. He shows consistancy for half a season, idk if he get's criticized for how boring he plays, but suddenly he starts trying to throw longer passes..and they get intercepted..he tries to chip and chase..and kicks it right into the opposition's hands. Pair him up with Hunt (1 of his kicks sucked, but that's what happens when you're out of practice because you're stuck in a non-favoured position.) who has much more of a spark, and watch Wallace get us repeated sets when he plays the way he should.

Most of the time when I'm watching Norman..it's sh*t pass, sh*t kick, great run/break. He's a great ball runner but his defense sucks too much to have him at fullback. I'd love it if they moved Wallace to 6, Hunt to 7, kept Macca at 9 and moved Norman to the bench..bring him on when the forwards are tiring and watch him tear through the line.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I think the main reason the spotlight is so often thrown on Wallace before Norman is that Norman hasn't even had a whole season in the gig yet. Wallace has had several. To come up with some of the rookie mistakes he's been making over the last 5-6 games, I think it's justified that many are of the opinion that he should be playing for his contract with Brisbane over the back end of this season.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I think the main reason the spotlight is so often thrown on Wallace before Norman is that Norman hasn't even had a whole season in the gig yet. Wallace has had several. To come up with some of the rookie mistakes he's been making over the last 5-6 games, I think it's justified that many are of the opinion that he should be playing for his contract with Brisbane over the back end of this season.

I agree. Wallace has played for NSW ffs. Fans have every right to expect more out of him... My guess is his pay packet >> Norman's as well.

Big Pete

Referee
I sincerely doubt the 17 announced will be the final 17.

I expect Parker to return and for McGuire to come into the front row ahead of Civo who had his worst game in years against the Eels. I think he missed the most tackles with something like 9! It showed too, they were running circles around him out there.

But yeah, honestly, until the Broncos show differently I'm not going to bother speculating about this match. Right now, we're in a slump and I'm unsure how we're going to get out of it.

beads6

First Grade
I think our side is capable of a massive turn around but I just don't see it happening. We really are lacking spark. We really have all year. It'll be interesting what Hook comes up with. This is a real test for him.

JamesBrandy

Juniors
I just think we need more depth in attack...by the time the dummy half gets the ball to Wallace the defence is right on him....he needs to be standing 4 or 5 metres further back.

Chainshada

Juniors
One thing I noticed recently is that on 5th tackle..we repeatedly pass twice before the kick. Macca > Norman > Wallace, in the 1-2 seconds it takes for Norman to receive and pass to Wallace they're right on top of him.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
I just think we need more depth in attack...by the time the dummy half gets the ball to Wallace the defence is right on him....he needs to be standing 4 or 5 metres further back.

One thing I noticed recently is that on 5th tackle..we repeatedly pass twice before the kick. Macca > Norman > Wallace, in the 1-2 seconds it takes for Norman to receive and pass to Wallace they're right on top of him.

Yeah maybe this is something that needs to be looked at. The guy just seems to be getting nailed too easy these days?

unbreaK

Juniors
First off, I think Peter Wallace was almost the perfect compliment for Lockyer, he was consistent and solid almost every game along side Lockyer, he just didn't really do anything amazing. Now that Lockyer has moved on Peter Wallace has tried to step up and become the play maker while Corey Norman slides into the "Solid" role, which I think he has been for the most of the season.

It all comes back to Peter Wallace just not being good enough / fast enough to be a playmaking 7, I think our best option come next season (I don't think they'll change it up massively this late into the season) would be Wallace at 6 and Hunt at 7 with Norman perhaps playing in the left centre position and pushing Reed over to the wing (Who needs to work hard in the off season and get some more strength/speed).

My 2013 1-7

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Jharal Yow Yeh (Lachlan Maranta until Jharal recovers from his injury, if needed)
3. Justin Hodges
4. Corey Norman
5. Jack Reed
6. Peter Wallace
7. Ben Hunt

broncos2010

Juniors
Surely we have better options then 2 2nd rowers in the centres?

That said I think we will know if we are going to win or not in the first 5 mins the raiders are that type of team they either blow you away early or they get blown away.

Good thing its in canberra we have a better chance there.

Chainshada

Juniors
Corey Parker and Jack Reed remain in the mix to be late additions to Brisbane's NRL side to play Canberra at the weekend after completing a tough training session on Thursday morning.
Neither representative player was named in coach Anthony Griffin's squad earlier in the week with Parker still receiving treatment for a knee injury and Reed close to a comeback from a broken leg.
Reed, who played for England against Australia in last year's Four Nations series, trained with the aid of a special leg guard and looks a real chance of being a late addition to the side.
Parker got through the session, but will still need to pass a late medical test before a decision is made on his comeback.
Both players would be a welcome addition with Brisbane under fire following two disappointing losses to Gold Coast and Parramatta in successive weeks.
Attitude was the word on every player's lips on Thursday as they were grilled about their 42-22 loss which left Griffin angry and upset that they failed to bounce back from the loss to the Titans.
"We need to build the hunger and aggressiveness back in our game," admitted young utility Alex Glenn.
"We haven't been too proud of our performances the last couple of weeks which have not been up to our playing ability.
"We've got something to play for and to earn a bit of pride back for the club this weekend."
Glenn said attitude was a big part of the problem which has the Broncos walking the finals tight rope with several other clubs.
"I guess we just went a bit soft on ourselves," he said.
"Physically we were strong but mentally we weren't prepared to stay in the grind in the last few weeks."

Hoping Parker makes a return, I'd rather wait a week or 2 more for Reed.

Big Pete

Referee
Both would be huge inclusions.

Reed if only because it'd allow Glenn to return to the backrow where we have sorely missed his defence on the fringe. Gillett was exposed as a massive shirt grabber.

Corey for his work in the middle. Sorely missed that on Monday and I'm sure his injury severely impacted on his game against the Titans.

Big Pete

Referee
Well it looks like Reed will go right centre according to the Courier Mail with Te'o shifting to the bench.

I guess it's an improvement but I think we dearly miss Glenn in the backrow offensively & defensively

beads6

First Grade
Well it looks like Reed will go right centre according to the Courier Mail with Te'o shifting to the bench.

I guess it's an improvement but I think we dearly miss Glenn in the backrow offensively & defensively

I'd be surprised if Reed plays right side.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
That should gee us up a bit. Reed has been desperately missed in the outside backs. Te'o to the bench is a dumb idea imo.

Behold

Juniors
Agree we are missing Glenn in the forwards but he is the better of him and Te'o at playing centre. Wouldn't mind seeing Beale shift to centre and Whitchurch onto the wing. Glenn into the backrow. If Parker is back I struggle to justify Gillett being in the 17. I think we need Dodds on the bench his defence in the centre is great and we need to start getting quality rather than quantity minutes from both Hannant and McGuire. We look absolutely stuffed most of the time and Griffin needs to start using his bench more rather than getting tiny minutes from the fringe players. If they get picked in the team they have to be trusted to do the job. We can't keep competing at 15 v 17 each week.

Big Pete

Referee

I wouldn't be.

Hook has played him there in the past and I can see him accommodating Glenn.

I'd much rather Reed went left, Te'o stayed right and Glenn went to the centres but I can't see that happening.

Behold

Juniors

He debuted on the right and I think it is actually his preferred position but he plays on the left because of Hodgo. Will be good to see the rednuts playing alongside each other. (not that I am that excited to see Wallace in the team this week)

Leagueaddict

Juniors
http://www.nrl.com/TelstraPremiership/MatchCentre/tabid/10999/Default.aspx#matchid=2462&tab=Preview

Watch Out Raiders: Brisbane really missed Josh Hoffman’s thrust from the back last week, particularly on kick returns. Hoffman is a wind-up dynamo who has made more kick-return runs (131) and metres (1458) than any player. Plus he ranks second for overall running metres (average 154) and third in the league for total runs (316). Hoffman starred in Brisbane’s victory over the Raiders the last time they met (see below), running 26 times for 245 metres. Meanwhile Canberra’s Sam Williams and Josh McCrone are just 48 per cent accurate at kicking away from opponents in 2012 (the third-worst rate in the comp).

Corey Norman is another Bronco with fond memories of playing the Raiders – he scored two tries, made a try assist and two line-breaks at their most recent match-up.

Danger Sign: Any time the Broncos head right. The Raiders have leaked 45 tries on the right edge, nine more than the next most conceded by Parramatta. Brisbane hammered the region to the last time they met Canberra, with Sam Thaiday, Matt Gillett and Ben Hannant all crossing for tries from close range.

Clearly improvement is needed – not just modest improvement but quantum-leap stuff. When on song the Raiders are no popgun attacking outfit (average 21 points per game). It may seem incredible, given the Bulldogs’ stellar form, but the Raiders have actually scored more tries from line-breaks than any side (36, one more than the ’Dogs).

Also, the Broncos’ kickers need to get deeper when receiving the ball or else charge-downs will continue to hurt them. The Broncos have conceded one charge-down per game in 2012.

Fingers, toes, eyebrows crossed! Come on Broncos!!!

Latest posts