What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 Vs Dragons

Whino

Bench
I personally think we just wait with cleary till last game of the regular season.

History shows that his kind of injury has an extremley high liklihood of reoccurence so all attempts to minimise risk should be taken.

Less time on the field means less chance of reinjury.

Given 2 or 3 is basically wrapped up, i domt see the point putting him at further risk..

We know nath is the utmost professional. He prepares like no other and takes his rehab very serious. I read some of his strength lifts have gone up whilst in rehab!!! And he will be able to maintain his fitness so thats not an issue..

All things like kicking and passing he will be able to practice at a game standard in training..

So id say just give him 50 or 60 mins in last game of season to blow out the cobwebs. Him and luai know each others games perfectly so will be no issue him slipping back in.

Than come finals if we happen to be up by a significant margin with 20 or so to go id be looking at getting him off.

Need to manage his injury and reduce risk as much as possible. Cause if we can get to the big one we need him there.

Just my opinion. I dont think there will be issues with him slipping back into the team. Other than tpj all the guys know how nath plays.

Cleary should be wrapped in cotton wool. We may only get a couple of games out of him.

franklin2323

Immortal
It matters when you @franklin2323 brag about our depth and us being so much better than other teams. That's the shit that makes people think we're smug.

I'm just looking at it from a realistic perspective and trying to see it how neutrals would. I can never have a neutral opinion. But i can try to be as unbiased as possible when looking at our form.

The Roosters beat Parra with 8 or so out
Storm are beating everyone with guys out
We are going through this weak part of the draw fine with guys out.

That is just how it is this year. Very average comp the bottom 10 or so sides the top sides can phone it in and beat. Especially when a bottom side has a few guys out

As for the rest of the post.

We have had the same spine for the past 2 seasons. While not playing/training for us. Luai/Cleary/Api and Yeo were doing ball work for NSW.

The 2 guys out for Personal reasons can still train- JFH with side from Monday.
The guys suspended again are training with the side all week and has been all year.

Where it hurts will be if we had a stack of guys coming back from injury. Even now Cleary is training with the side so should only take a week or 2.

It is much easier to keep it going for 6 weeks than 6 months

Fangs

Coach
Am I the only one not worried about Api not playing? The only concern I have with him is that he has a lack of match fitness since the start of the origin period. Including this round he'd have had 2 or 3 and a bit matches leading into the Souths game.

I think Cleary will play.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I'd rest Nathan untll at least after the souffs game. We are playing them again week 1 and it would be moronic to give them a 80 min free shot at destroying his shoulder (and our season)

betcats

Referee
Definitely shouldnt rush Nathan back but at the same time if it is possible it would be nice to get him some minutes before the finals, dont want him coming in rusty

betcats

Referee
I'd rest Nathan untll at least after the souffs game. We are playing them again week 1 and it would be moronic to give them a 80 min free shot at destroying his shoulder (and our season)

fair point but every team is going to target that shoulder, losing him mid finals game would probably be worse than going into the finals without him

franklin2323

Immortal
fair point but every team is going to target that shoulder, losing him mid finals game would probably be worse than going into the finals without him

That is where this period comes in handy. Getting used to getting the job done. Burton will still be in the side and we won some games with May at 7.

Realistically you could do what Cronk did in 2019 where he just hid and just did the basics. You could probably do that for 4 games or so.

Fangs

Coach

Definitely shouldnt rush Nathan back but at the same time if it is possible it would be nice to get him some minutes before the finals, dont want him coming in rusty

The answer lies someone between these statements. You don't want him injured and you don't want him rusty.

Its important to start our 'run' at the correct time and with we have a few outs again this weekend. I think it will be enough to see Cleary selected.

betcats

Referee
The answer lies someone between these statements. You don't want him injured and you don't want him rusty.

Its important to start our 'run' at the correct time and with we have a few outs again this weekend. I think it will be enough to see Cleary selected.

Yeah when he comes back i'd be looking to get him limited minutes, have a plan to get him off before fulltime if possible for games before and even during the finals. Worth carrying Tago on the bench so we can shift Burton in those circumstances. Maybe even start him on the bench to avoid the more intense first 20 mins.

Whatever we do we are going to need some luck to get him through the season i think. He is a tough kid and no doubt diligent with the rehab and strengthening work he is doing but there is only so far that will get him, if he cops a bad hit we are in trouble.

franklin2323

Immortal

With these cases you count back. The aim is to be there GF day. How many games games can he be hidden for? That's when you play him

maple_69

Bench
Assuming we have TPJ, Api, Capewell, Leniu and Fish back next weekend it’d be tempting to set the team the challenge to beat Souths without the best player in the world. That pack could flatten Souths and not give them a look in.

It’d be bloody demoralising being two weeks out from the finals knowing you’re going to have to beat a side that just beat you without their best player and if you can’t manage that you’ll have to beat Melbourne in a prelim and then have a third crack at Penrith.

age.s

First Grade
The other advantage of letting Nath rest longer is it gives more time for the Luai/Burton combo to gel. No matter what we do, there's a reasonable chance we end up with that combo in our season's key matches so having them be more comfortable with their alternate roles is a good idea.

Alintheeast

Juniors
I think the assumption is that time will heal all wounds, but I wonder if Nathan’s shoulder reached a point where it can not get any better without surgery. Therefore waiting for a later game is pointless and it needs to be tested. I can’t imagine Hook or Bennett saying go easy on Nath. Also no matter what happens Penrith have a season to finish and finals to play and need to adjust for in and outs. Not worried to much the halves will be playing behind best pack in comp by round 24.

age.s

First Grade
I think the assumption is that time will heal all wounds, but I wonder if Nathan’s shoulder reached a point where it can not get any better without surgery. Therefore waiting for a later game is pointless and it needs to be tested. I can’t imagine Hook or Bennett saying go easy on Nath. Also no matter what happens Penrith have a season to finish and finals to play and need to adjust for in and outs. Not worried to much the halves will be playing behind best pack in comp by round 24.
I think it's more that the more game time you give it, the more likely it is he'll injure it. Every game is a dice roll, so you're better off only rolling 4 times instead of 7.

Original Name

Juniors
It will soon if it hasn't already. There's a limit where you can't get better until you have surgery.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think it's more that the more game time you give it, the more likely it is he'll injure it. Every game is a dice roll, so you're better off only rolling 4 times instead of 7.

This. He won't be 100% and it takes the wrong hit and it is season over for him.

WestyLife

First Grade

giphy.gif