What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 Vs Dragons

Girds89

Bench
It's funny how many of the same posters who whine whenever they think a call goes against the Panthers are dead silent on this, or even support it.

It was a blatant shoulder charge. Hardly damaging, of course, but I'd be spitting bullets if Olam got away with this in the Grand Final for the Storm to score, and so would all the ref whiners.

Yep. It was soft and no force in it.. i think penalty wouldve been sufficient but had to be a penalty.

Honestly therell be a shoulder just just like it today and itll be a penalty.. the nrl has lost the plot

mxlegend99

Referee
It's funny how many of the same posters who whine whenever they think a call goes against the Panthers are dead silent on this, or even support it.

It was a blatant shoulder charge. Hardly damaging, of course, but I'd be spitting bullets if Olam got away with this in the Grand Final for the Storm to score, and so would all the ref whiners.
The difference is Olam is actually charging when he tackles and throws his weight into tackles. If he shoulder charged you that hit will actually hurt.

Nathan has just turned his bad shoulder away to make sure the collision was with his good one and braced for the impact. It's still normally a penalty although somehow the bunker decided it wasn't and he's certainly lucky in that regard. Would be dirty if it happened against us for sure.

But when his hit has no force and is on the ball it's really not worth a suspension so i wouldn't think he or anyone else should miss a game for that tackle. But i would fully expect they would as normally that's what happens.

mxlegend99

Referee
Photos of show a single frame and mean sweet f**k all
Rava is launching himself which is a big difference. Although that wasn't a shoulder charge either. Id rather run into Cleary bracing for impact than Rava putting a shot on. But his shot was legal IMO. Rava got ripped off. Amazing what a bad rep can do for a player being charged for nothing.

Whino

Bench
The NRL has made the whole what is shoulder charge and what isn't far too complicated. They are far too many inconsistencies.
Anyone that braces for impact shouldn't constitute a shoulder charge. If they make contact with the head or neck while awaiting impact, fair enough for it to be charged or penalised.
Anyone that launches into a tackle should be deemed a shoulder charge. Launches is the one that can cause damage.

John Hamblin

Juniors

I agree it was a shoulder charge but on the scale of force I would put it 5 out of 100. Wouldn't hurt a 10 year old!

Fangs

Coach
I could live with a week's suspension. But we know the MRC isn't consistent so take the win.

Move over Ponga...Nathan Cleary is officially the golden boy of the NRL.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Just because mistakes were made during the crackdown doesn't mean they have to continue to be made for all time.

You'd be one of the first to complain if that exact same passage of play had happened against us in a game and there was no penalty.

The_Frog

First Grade
You'd be one of the first to complain if that exact same passage of play had happened against us in a game and there was no penalty.
But it did. Nathan got knocked over after he'd kicked and there was no penalty. You come to expect this from Cummins.

I try to avoid complaining about poor calls against us because I know there are those in here who get their knickers in a twist, not naming names. In general, it does even out.

I did not complain when Munster wasn't cited for a hip drop on Leniu, because it was adequately explained why it wasn't a hip drop. Plenty did though.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
I agree it was a shoulder charge but on the scale of force I would put it 5 out of 100. Wouldn't hurt a 10 year old!
The MRC bloke went to the trouble of explaining what they look at in shoulder charges. Three of the four elements were not present in this instance.

Girds89

Bench
The MRC bloke went to the trouble of explaining what they look at in shoulder charges. Three of the four elements were not present in this instance.
Thats fine but they arent consistent at all..

If they were consistent id be fine with it..but they arent.

BxTom

Bench
Thats fine but they arent consistent at all..

If they were consistent id be fine with it..but they arent.
If they were cosistent they would have looked at the last pass for St George's second try - looked a mile forward.

Girds89

Bench
If they were cosistent they would have looked at the last pass for St George's second try - looked a mile forward.
Yeah look mate. Im the first to get cranky about the refs. Cant stand them.

But the video ref cant rule on forward passes so its left to on field ref and they have a very difficult job. The game is faster than ever and theres not two refs on there anymore.

I think the issue hook had and the majirity of nrl fans had with the nathan incident was that we scored off it and the bunker had all the time in the world to review it.

Tbh im happy for that not to be a penalty..it was soft and nothing in it.

But thats been a penalty since they brought the rule in.

Would anyone on here have been upset if it was blown a penalty? No!

The fact some panthers fans are saying it shouldve been a penalty says it all i think.

If the MRC stick to that im happy..but we all know itll be something different next week.

Latest posts