What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 Vs the Donkeys

Flashstep

Juniors
Reynolds is on like 800k at the Tigers so even if we got him at 400k it would be a pretty poor deal, he’s not even a hooker sure he has a lot of heart but there’s a reason why he can’t even get a look in over a 34yo Marshall and Luke Brooks

Abacus

Juniors
Reynolds is on like 800k at the Tigers so even if we got him at 400k it would be a pretty poor deal, he’s not even a hooker sure he has a lot of heart but there’s a reason why he can’t even get a look in over a 34yo Marshall and Luke Brooks
A former origin-winning 5/8 is poor value at $400k? Really?!
When the comparison halves are Api, Segs & Luke (I can't believe anyone is actually suggesting Luke!), the hooking options are pretty slim. So you need to consider players with compatible skill sets.
Would you be able to expound the reason for his non-selection at Tigers?

Kilkenny

Coach
A former origin-winning 5/8 is poor value at $400k? Really?!
When the comparison halves are Api, Segs & Luke (I can't believe anyone is actually suggesting Luke!), the hooking options are pretty slim. So you need to consider players with compatible skill sets.
Would you be able to expound the reason for his non-selection at Tigers?

Josh Reynolds is not a hooker, last played SOO in 2014, has played a handful of NRL games in the last two seasons and his body has been failing him so yes I would suggest we can spend the 400K much more wisely elsewhere.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Didn't watch the game, but I still think we will make the 8. Whether it is deserved or not, we have the Cowboys and Knights with nothing to play for, and I think those two wins will do it. I can't see any of the Sharks, Broncos, or Tigers winning all their remaining matches (of course, the Sharks and the Tigers play each other, so that helps).

franklin2323

Immortal
Still not sure re; Blake. Even if we were paying slight overs, not sure we find a better replacement. I think his defensive qualities get overlooked too often. Sure his attack is a bit limited but our whole squad has gone backwards & is looking limited this year under Cleary.

I'd agree if centre was our only issue. Same too DWZ we need 4 or 5 quality guys so need to clear space somehow.

Aside from Kikau which is injury and playing too long. No one is playing worse just we don't have the fitness or a few key guys we did to cover.

2016 we went well. Since 2017 there is maybe 4 or 5 games that I would say we played well and would beat most sides.

The rest of the time we have been a rabble outside of the last 20 mins that continued even when Gus took over.

For me no coach can win the comp with the squad we have. So the sooner that is fixed the better

Kilkenny

Coach
Didn't watch the game, but I still think we will make the 8. Whether it is deserved or not, we have the Cowboys and Knights with nothing to play for, and I think those two wins will do it. I can't see any of the Sharks, Broncos, or Tigers winning all their remaining matches (of course, the Sharks and the Tigers play each other, so that helps).

We could win 2 of our last 3 and scrape into the top 8 but having said that we are just as capable of losing all three of our remaining games.

We can roll up the field as good as any other team in the comp but in just about all other facets of the game we are ordinary and that is probably being kind.

TheFrog

Coach
Now Dwz n Blake weren't released because they were bad players but because someone gave them more then they worth..
Both were mid-contract. You can't just offer mid-contract players big money unless the club they are contracted to wants to release them.

Abacus

Juniors
Josh Reynolds is not a hooker, last played SOO in 2014, has played a handful of NRL games in the last two seasons and his body has been failing him so yes I would suggest we can spend the 400K much more wisely elsewhere.
He's had a hamstring injury, shoulder injury and an MCL since start of 2018 - the last 2 were contact injuries which can happen to any player (Yeo & Egan currently have shoulder injuries). So I'm not sure the "body is failing him" argument is justified once you scratch the surface. You don't think Reynolds skill set can transition to hooker?

So are you saying you're happy with our current hooker options and spend the $400k on other areas or do you think there is another hooker option we should be focused on?

Or another couple of promising juniors or CC players?

Pomoz

Bench
Pomoz you are making too much sense..Thanks
Now Dwz n Blake weren't released because they were bad players but because someone gave them more then they worth..
Also do you think Barrett has something to offer our attack,I for one always had question mark on the credential of Wallace as our attackin coach 20 seconds into retirement..
Wallace didn't make sense, its like putting Ronaldo in charge of coaching goal keepers. As for TB, can he be worse than what we have now?

franklin2323

Immortal
He's had a hamstring injury, shoulder injury and an MCL since start of 2018 - the last 2 were contact injuries which can happen to any player (Yeo & Egan currently have shoulder injuries). So I'm not sure the "body is failing him" argument is justified once you scratch the surface. You don't think Reynolds skill set can transition to hooker?

So are you saying you're happy with our current hooker options and spend the $400k on other areas or do you think there is another hooker option we should be focused on?

I rate most of our juniors as the saviours going forward but Hooker is one spot we don't have any quality.

Kilkenny

Coach

If I were involved in recruitment I wouldn’t pursue Josh Reynolds let’s just agree to disagree on his signing.

It cannot be denied the three dummy halves we have used this year haven’t quite been good enough for us.

Katoa is out of favour and will not be resigned so that leaves us with Kenny & Egan. Given our limited funds unless RCG is moved on, my priority would be recruiting outside backs/another front rower in preference to hooker. Not ideal I agree just priorities.

I do think Wade Egan has the skill set to be a very good NRL dummy half but either through coaching or game plan hasn’t yet been able to go to that next level.

Of the off contract & available hooker options Api Koroisau would be the pick of the bunch he is solid in all areas and would be the only one worth considering.

panther.mike

Juniors
It seems like we [the panthers] have been just making up the numbers for the last 10/15 years and we have the same old complaints, when will our club change? Shit attitude and shit culture.

It seems like we [the panthers] have been just making up the numbers for the last 10/15 years and we have the same old complaints, when will our club change? Shit attitude and shit culture.

Hmmmm

we’re not there yet, but the club has improved a fair way in the last 10 years. I understand the frustration that we haven’t broken through, but it’s not as bad as you’re making out.

Big Mick

Referee
We NEED to make a play for Ramien. A guy of exceptional talent who can be nurtured. A risk,yes, but I'm not satisfied with our current centre options. If we could have a pairing in 2020 of Crichton/Ramien with Naden pushed to wing to compete with Mansour then I'd be more comfortable.

As for Reynolds...he isn't a hooker. He can't pass left with a spiral pass. He would just stand and pass and not engage. We already have that.

Unless it's a game-changer at hooker I'd try and manufacture solution. With Burton emerging as a five-eight option next year...maybe we test out Luai or Dean Blore in the off-season at hooker. Tell Luai to try and use his speed and kicking game at that position.

I would suggest putting Cleary there....but no way that happens.

franklin2323

Immortal
We NEED to make a play for Ramien. A guy of exceptional talent who can be nurtured. A risk,yes, but I'm not satisfied with our current centre options. If we could have a pairing in 2020 of Crichton/Ramien with Naden pushed to wing to compete with Mansour then I'd be more comfortable.

As for Reynolds...he isn't a hooker. He can't pass left with a spiral pass. He would just stand and pass and not engage. We already have that.

Unless it's a game-changer at hooker I'd try and manufacture solution. With Burton emerging as a five-eight option next year...maybe we test out Luai or Dean Blore in the off-season at hooker. Tell Luai to try and use his speed and kicking game at that position.

I would suggest putting Cleary there....but no way that happens.

I would like Luai to move but can't see it happening. We have a guy playing hooker today in NSW Cup that moved from half in Flegg. Hopefully he keeps improving and can fill that hole

Whino

Bench
I can't believe things are that dire that we need to think Josh Reynolds would be a solution to our hooking woes.
If we are to get someone in lets make sure its a full time hooker with experience, a good passing game and preferably a bit of speed in the legs.

OldPanther

Coach
I can't believe things are that dire that we need to think Josh Reynolds would be a solution to our hooking woes.
If we are to get someone in lets make sure its a full time hooker with experience, a good passing game and preferably a bit of speed in the legs.

There are none. We could get Luke from Warriors or maybe McCullough from the Broncos.

Whino

Bench
I would take both to be honest. Are they options? As in available?

Koroisau has been told he can go because Manly want to hang on to Manase Fainu and Manly need the money for future upgrades for the Trbojevic brothers.
Seggy has a deal on the table to stay at the Broncos but someone said recently for business purposes he may have to come back to Sydney.

Whether we are seriously linked to either I don't know.

Latest posts