What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 Game Day Thread: Eels v Knights

Noise

Coach
Have we ever produced a good performance for our 'leaders' in milestone games? Cayless, Hindy, Burt, Mannah - Im pretty sure we have lost most of their milestone games. Melbourne on the other hand...

Bazal

Post Whore
Have we ever produced a good performance for our 'leaders' in milestone games? Cayless, Hindy, Burt, Mannah - Im pretty sure we have lost most of their milestone games. Melbourne on the other hand...

Jesus this is getting out of hand....

How many of those leaders have had milestones in a team as good and as used to winning as Melbourne? FMD

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Smith produced that performance for himself. Like Cronin and Price did in 1986. In recent history, our leaders have been a rung or two below the absolute elite. Whatever you think about C Smith, he's almost the best ever.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah I was being a twat again :p

I think they do too. And I also think our boys respect Timmy a lot more than a certain Fijian-hating local resident would like to think, for example.

That said I would respect Mannah a lot more than Gallen as a player, I feel. One comes across as a pretty selfless and humble dude. The other comes across as being all about himself when it comes to footy.
I think no merkin is picked as captain unless he is in some way respected by his team mates. Mannah almost certainly isn't revered for his playing ability so it must be something else.

hindy111

Post Whore
The turning point was when Auva'a failed to take a simple kick and Jennings knocked it on the 20m line after they were found offside. Perenara has always hated us and is obviously a biased, incompetent arsehole. He contributed but didn't cost us the game.

What a terrible day overall.

Go the Eels.

Under 20s won and pushed into top 4 without 5 star players.
People need to realise we are in great shape for the future.Maybe for atleast 5 or 6 seasons atleast. Who remembers 2011 -2013. 3 yrs at bottom.
I am enjoying a team on its day capable of beating anyone. We are not a top 4 side at moment. But other then Storm are other side that much better? Our future is bright and it has been a good year. We may win pur last 4 and sneak i to 4th or 5th.
Is 4th any better? Going down to play the storm wont end well.

Clifferd

Coach
Sometimes, a team just plays shit. And its more likely to happen against a team at the bottom of the ladder. If we do it the next few weeks then we have real reason to jump up and down. And IMO, Newcastle are very much on the rise. I'd rather be a supporter of them ATM than the Dogs, Titans, Warriors Tigers or Souths.

Lol newy have beaten dragons, warriors and a very out of it Parra outfit. Not a good indicidation of a team on the rise but good on them

natheel

Coach
Newcastle's last away win was in Melbourne in round 24, 2015. The Storm were at full strength (albeit with Munster in for Slater) and lost 20-6. Here's how the rest of Melbourne's season unfolded: http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-2015/melbourne/summary.html

They did indeed 'not turn up' and in the long run it made f**k all difference. They went on to beat both eventual grand final teams in the next two weeks, before beating the minor premiers in Sydney the week after that (in week one of the finals).
Yep it woke them up and hopefully it does the same to us

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Lol newy have beaten dragons, warriors and a very out of it Parra outfit. Not a good indicidation of a team on the rise but good on them
Good young forward pack who are obviously improving, young halves and some real potential coming as well as a couple of solid first graders. No, you're wrong.

Clifferd

Coach
Good young forward pack who are obviously improving, young halves and some real potential coming as well as a couple of solid first graders. No, you're wrong.

Unfair comparison to say the tigers who have had a very tough run of games against your mob, manly, Penrith and manly again tomorrow yet they've been competitive in every single game

Dragons aren't exactly hot property ATM and warriors are the warriors

hindy111

Post Whore
agree .... melbourne don't "not turn up" .... they might be a little down occaisionally, but they still do what is required to win nearly all the time

we have a never ending history of being dumb complacent f**k sticks

So does 14 other clubs.
All teams have a bad game. That was our 2nd poor game in last 11.
We had been building nicely. If we can have 5 more good efforts we can perhaps make some noise in finals. Nrl teams are close. A few calls your way and bounce of ball sometimes is what separates a win or loss. We know on our day we are capable of beating anyone aslong as the bounce of ball and bit of luck goes our way.

If its 50/50 id say we can beat 4 of the other top 8 sides. But if luck and bounce of ball goes there way we arrnt good enough to win them.

To beat the 3 best teams in comp we need the luck to be going our way. These thing even out. Lets hope in finals we get that luck. But ypu got to be in it to win it and we more then likely will be:relaxed:

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Unfair comparison to say the tigers who have had a very tough run of games against your mob, manly, Penrith and manly again tomorrow yet they've been competitive in every single game

Dragons aren't exactly hot property ATM and warriors are the warriors
Well, unlike the Tigers, Newy beat us. Looking forward to life without Tedesco and Woods much?

Clifferd

Coach
Well, unlike the Tigers, Newy beat us. Looking forward to life without Tedesco and Woods much?

And we rolled Newy a few weeks back. Funny that

Woods is no loss and teddy we'll probably be better off without. Our attack ATM is pass it to Tedesco and hope for the best, atlesst next year should be more expansive