What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Eels

Chins get the wins

First Grade
NEWS FLASH!!!
Due to the Panthers' overwhelming success over the past 4 years, their supporters are now nit-picking and looking for things to complain about.
I could go back to pointing out his terrible defensive reads and pissweak contact? But some just won't face facts

betcats

Referee
Mav backrow and Kepaoa at 17 seems a no brainer, especially if Huth is out. If you can’t trust your back up back row to actually play back row, why is he playing first grade at all.

we need 2 backrowers. If kepoa is on the bench who is the other? Henry or Lindsay.

betcats

Referee
I am not saying we don't carry a 2nd prop but Patea is the one if that guy is getting 15-20 mins. Smith and Henry need to pump out big minutes or they offer nothing off the bench

Patea looks good but he’s not offering more than Lindsay or Henry even in a short stint.

Iamback

Coach
Patea looks good but he’s not offering more than Lindsay or Henry even in a short stint.

He is ave 9m per run.

Smith and Henry 7m

He is ave 2 tackle breaks a game with that.

Smith and Henry are about 1

He is ave 71m a game from 14mins a game

Henry is 79m from 40mins

Smith 81 from 50 mins

So on a per min basis Patea over both, Clearly there is more to the game but if you are taking minutes off a prop to give to Toletau then the needs from that 2nd middle changes

I know nothing about coaching league. But I have half an idea about leadership and blaming others for a loss shows a lack of accountability and gives the weak minded players an excuse for the loss. They missed double the amount of tackles. Made less metres, tackle breaks and line breaks. They had the advantage of 6 extra penalties, a man in the sin bin, our 2nd rower off after 8 minutes, our starting prop off after 20 minutes and our hooker on HIA. They had home ground advantage. They still lost.

For me, it shows a lack of mental resolve and inexperience. Barrett will never improve as a coach/leader until he learns to own the losses. Bellamy or Bennett would have said "we got what we deserved, we didn't tackle well enough". Ok, how do we improve?

One things for sure, Ivan will be reading the riot act to some of our players, even though we won. Leota was dreadful, a penalty machine with 77 metres and 20 tackles. Come on Moses, you are bludging right now. Liam was out of control, doing his angry man impression. I love his aggression, but not if it means he is going to get sent off, sin binned or give away multiple penalties.

McLean's inexperience was shown up a few times and Toleau over-played his hand with some dreadful dummy half passes. That said I think those two and Patea show a lot of promise, they weren't overawed by the hostile atmosphere and the fact we were behind for 74 minutes of the game.

The good stuff came from some of our young blokes and the usual troopers, Yeo and Too. Lindsay Smith and MG2 put in good shifts. Smith is a quality player and has improved this year. Laurie was excellent and his ball playing gives me hope that he can be the Luai replacement next year. He reads the game pretty well and is much quicker than people think and is fearless in contact.

Our halves were very effective, and did what was needed when it mattered. Cleary has ice in his veins. He just doesn't panic and delivers just as well in the last minute as the first. Actually you could argue he gets better when the pressure is on and starts to focus more.

One last thing, I want Yeo (because he is captain) to nail Turuva's boot to the wing so he can't keep running in for a tackle or intercept. He is the leading cause of line breaks and tries at the Panthers, he really needs to get that out of his game.
Beautiful read, I agree 100% with everything you said especially with McLean. Too young to be playing every NRL game and next year Talagi will also be the same. Straight from SG ball. We need Laurie in the 13 some how though.

I could go back to pointing out his terrible defensive reads and pissweak contact? But some just won't face facts
But your track record makes you the Rhyno of the Panthers forum. When someone2 picks against us I am alway confident we will prevail. Similarly when you write off a player you can almost start measuring them for an Origin jumper then and there….

Fangs

Coach
But your track record makes you the Rhyno of the Panthers forum. When someone2 picks against us I am alway confident we will prevail. Similarly when you write off a player you can almost start measuring them for an Origin jumper then and there….

Thats pretty insulting imo.

Rhyno is around 5% and that is being generous. Umina gets a few more right. I don't rate being wrong about things that's like a weather man.

Whino

Bench
Not our best performance last night. At times woeful.
Still, we played a large part of game with a two-man bench.
Played a man down late in the game.
Showed the Eels some compassion by resting the best FB in the game. And resting the best prop in the game. Aka their Daddy.

We were behind for 74 minutes.
I could go on.

To sum up
We were still good enough to beat a bunch of bums. Just shows you how shit they are. :)

Not our best performance last night. At times woeful.
Still, we played a large part of game with a two-man bench.
Played a man down late in the game.
Showed the Eels some compassion by resting the best FB in the game. And resting the best prop in the game. Aka their Daddy.

We were behind for 74 minutes.
I could go on.

To sum up
We were still good enough to beat a bunch of bums. Just shows you how shit they are. :)
I think it shows just how difficult it is to get up an every week and just how miraculous the 2022 and 2023 were. Every week the opposition come at us as defending premiers, so every week we are playing teams playing their GF.

Over the last few years we have been up just about every week. This year there are weeks when we are flat against ‘lesser’ opposition; sometimes class gets us home (last night, Dolphins etc) but we have lost a few.

be interesting to see how the team comes out next week. I think they will be firing.

He is ave 9m per run.

Smith and Henry 7m

He is ave 2 tackle breaks a game with that.

Smith and Henry are about 1

He is ave 71m a game from 14mins a game

Henry is 79m from 40mins

Smith 81 from 50 mins

So on a per min basis Patea over both, Clearly there is more to the game but if you are taking minutes off a prop to give to Toletau then the needs from that 2nd middle changes
It looks like he's being groomed for the Spencer role.

If you recall a few years back, Spencer would last about 5 or 6 minutes and he was gassed. He had no idea how to pace himself.

Young Patea seems to handle 20 to 25 minutes quite well already. Might just need angry pills.

Whino

Bench
I think it shows just how difficult it is to get up an every week and just how miraculous the 2022 and 2023 were. Every week the opposition come at us as defending premiers, so every week we are playing teams playing their GF.

Over the last few years we have been up just about every week. This year there are weeks when we are flat against ‘lesser’ opposition; sometimes class gets us home (last night, Dolphins etc) but we have lost a few.

be interesting to see how the team comes out next week. I think they will be firing.

We have been the hunted for the past few years. Every team wants to knock us off. No team can be on every week.
I think we reached our Apogee in 2022. It is remarkable we are 2nd this year after missing our best player for most of the year.

At times we do play at our oppositions level, then lift when in trouble.

It looks like we may be down a few next week It wouldn't surprise me though if we were to blow the Storm off the park next week . This team has a habit of rising to the challenge.

Latest posts