What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Melbourne

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I can tell by the way you talk youve coached some kids..

Your explanation for what nathan is trying to achieve as a kicker is kid level coaching stuff... you said something along the lines of below...

"Either the back three catching it on the 10-20 or it hitting the grass is what tactical kicking is all about...the height of the kick makes very little difference"....

Basically your saying tactical kicking is literally just kicking it haha.

As i stated in my earlier post... thats not tactical kicking. Thats just kicking...

Tactics is... what side do we want to pin them on....who is the weaker catcher.... who do we not want taking the first hit up after a catch... do we want to be kicking it to the fb to tire him out... are we struggling to get out of our end and should we kick on the third... Have they got a player struggling or injured are we going at them... has a player dropped a bomb and his confidence is down.. is big nelson on one side and we dont want him having a carry or we do...

Thats a snippet of tactics that goes through a kickers head before they kick... every kick..

Nathans not just doing the high bombs to wherever and giving himself a pat on the back and saying that was a great tactical kick haha.

The high bomb ploy is used to give the defense an extra bit of time to get down the other end.. teams know nathan is a great kicker.. unless he kicks really early in the count it makes it hard to find open grass on a long direct kick cause the back three are back to stop the threat of a 40/20 etc...

Cause the back 3 are back its almost impossible to find the grass as players can move the short 15m distance between them to catch a kick...

Hence he puts the bombs up. The hang time gives the defence extra time to get down there with a solid defensive line.

It really is basic stuff but there is a ploy behind it..

Im really not sure how 99% of people and commentators and the players have said this bit you dont get it..

Anyway. Up the panthers tonight.. i hope you enjoy the game. 2 points here with bromcs without reynolds is huge..
Keep enjoying your footy Tiger.

Kilkenny

Coach
I've never set foot in a professional kitchen and sure as f**k not a chef.

I have however consumed enough professionally made food to establish whether or not said food is good or bad. Not only that but notice the trends of what works in the current market.

I don't see how the same can't apply to sport. We recognise the pattern of what makes a player and thus a team successful.

The same way a dumpster fire of a restaurant in its opening period can come good as they find their place in the market. The same applies to footballers. The chances are just really low. It's to the credit to the Panthers coaching staff that a pure plodder like Mitch Kenny can become a reasonable first grader.

FFS the analytics department of nerds took over pro sport when they realised cold hard statistics beats intuition 90% of the time. Pretty sure those blokes never put the studs on in their lives. It's recognising causation that is the talent not identifying correlation. Andrew Webster if the Panthers doco is to be believed is heavily into analytics given his few words spoken.

Apologies, I'm semi drunk on the train so rambling.
Mitch Kenny has never been a plodder in my opinion. Hard as nails, contributes massively in our system, maybe old style dummy halve, not flashy, no running game, but you just know Mitch will do the job required. Unsung hero is Mitch.

MugaB

Coach
Surely Garner comes into the side at centre for this game ?

At least he has experience playing the position, where in particular defence is key.

Garner in for Luke, straight into the centres, Hosking into the bench. Salmon can play dummy half for 10 minutes if Kenny needs a spell.
Garner was a centre in a wooden spoon team,
I dont know why everyone thinks thats an asset, hosking is an awesome defender one in, im fairly sure he can defend just as good one out

age.s

First Grade
FFS the analytics department of nerds took over pro sport when they realised cold hard statistics beats intuition 90% of the time. Pretty sure those blokes never put the studs on in their lives. It's recognising causation that is the talent not identifying correlation. Andrew Webster if the Panthers doco is to be believed is heavily into analytics given his few words spoken.
So as a data management professional I'm better qualified to dissect the game than all you meatheads?

I like where this is going...

Fangs

Coach
Jim Beam is disgusting. Bourbon in general just a bad drink.

Scotch all the way.

snickers007

Juniors
2 send offs already this week. Haven't seen the Titans so can't comment, but I really hope we keep our tackles down tonight.

Don't give the idiots in yellow any opportunity to ruin a good game of footy.

Munky

Coach
Let's face we only enjoy the taste of beer and spirits because we associate it with getting shit faced.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

Fangs

Coach
Let's face we only enjoy the taste of beer and spirits because we associate it with getting shit faced.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

What is this nonsense.

Has any panthers fan tasted a single malt? Bloody terrific stuff especially after 5.

Latest posts