What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Melbourne

Girds89

Bench
Damn bit of a personal snipe there.

Its been obvious for some time that luke had done a course of some sort.

He has talked in the past about things which allude to the fact hes done coaching with kids.

All ill say is coaching at park footy level has nothing to do with coaching an elite level nrl team.

The tactics are different... the game plans are a million times more complex.

Coaching young feelas is about doing the basics..

For example at training, if you are doing kicking training with your 15 or 16 year old halves... you arent thinking about how a midfield bomb gives your defenders 2 secs extra to get down field...

Your looking at how they are sticking them, enauring they aremt getting tavkled on the 4th... making sure they are set up in a good position to kick.... encouraging them to have a quick look where the back 3 are and picking out a spot...

Thats park footy...

Nrl is extremely extremely different.... a whole game plan goes into a kicking game...

All week your coaches are looking at how strong the back 3 are at returning... do you wamt one winger taking the 2nd cary in particular.... is the fb gonna get tired if we kick to him(latrell etc)... is a particular bloke weaker under the high ball..

If you have a bloke like talakai or olam on one side to take the 2md carry do you want to kick away from them...

These are just a fraction of the things that are thought about and planned for..

That stuff doesnt happen in park footy..coaches aren't watching videos all weel of next weeks opponent.

They are worried about just their 6 or 7 getting a good kick away that maybe finds a bit of space and ensuring theres a good kick chase by the team..

The high bomb tactic has worked really well for penrith over the last 3 or so years. It clearly allows our defensive line to get set... pin a team in a corner and really aim up.

But theres no doubt in my mind nathan is a better kicker when he doesnt play to a game plan... when he plays eyes up footy in regards to his kicking is when he is at his best...

He has a complete arsenal of kicks but sometimes just does the mid field bombs as its part of the defensive game plan..

WestyLife

First Grade
This should not be seen as a critisism.

It is a tactic that works for us and is hard to pull apart.

Exactly. It's machine like grinding that isn't flashy but teams struggle to keep up with for 80 mins. It's why we often aren't scoring 50+ like some teams yet are the Reigning B2B premiers.

Munky

Coach
Exactly. It's machine like grinding that isn't flashy but teams struggle to keep up with for 80 mins. It's why we often aren't scoring 50+ like some teams yet are the Reigning B2B premiers.

To my eyes the grind breaks down in the second half this year.

Two reasons IMO. Sorro no longer chipping away at the middles with his footwork in the fifteen minures after half time and Luke giving up easy metres when defending.

Except against Melbourne a few weeks back...

I don't have an agenda I just don't think Luke is NRL standard in 2023.

WestyLife

First Grade
To my eyes the grind breaks down in the second half this year.

Two reasons IMO. Sorro no longer chipping away at the middles with his footwork in the fifteen minures after half time and Luke giving up easy metres when defending.

Except against Melbourne a few weeks back...

I don't have an agenda I just don't think Luke is NRL standard in 2023.

It's a commonly held opinion. Like I said mick Ennis mentioned it and he's an extremely experienced first grade hooker.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Mate its pretty obvious youve done some coaching course in the last 2 years now you think you are wayne bennett coaching kids haha.

The high bomb tactic has been spoken about over and over and over again by commentators on 9 and fox and how it gives our defence time to swamp the wingers or db..

I can assure you you are wrong hahha..and i didn't need to listen to all the former players and coaches on fox or 9 to know that...

Its obvious.

Please enlighten us in all your wisdom why nathan does mid field bombs than??? Cause he only trys the floaters every so often?? Probs 90% of his midfield bombs are just stock high kicks wingers catch easy....

A grass kick would be harder to take judging the bounce and unpredictability of the ball along the ground... but he rarely does that... why???

Because the ball in the air as a bomb gives the defence roughly an extra 2 seconds or so to get down the other end... that means they can be 15m or so further downfield...

It’s a clear tactic. I mean if memory serves me correct ive even heard ivan talk about it in a pre game a few years back.
Yeah, some coaching “course” of “Kids”.

If you’re not interested that’s completely fine, but you don’t need to carry on like a some sort of guru who has clearly learnt everything they know from watching TV.

There is so much more to a good kicking game than roosting a ball high and chasers having an “extra” 2 seconds.

anyway, you know boats, so I look forward to more of your insightful comments. Maybe I’ll learn something……… hahaha

Chins get the wins

First Grade

If you’re not interested that’s completely fine, but you don’t need to carry on like a some sort of guru who has clearly learnt everything they know from watching TV.

There is so much more to a good kicking game than roosting a ball high and chasers having an “extra” 2 seconds.

anyway, you know boats, so I look forward to more of your insightful comments. Maybe I’ll learn something……… hahaha
I'm a shipwright if we want to talk boats haha

Girds89

Bench

How do you know what i do or dont know haha... you wouldnt have a clue.

Well you still are yet to explain how that the high bomb tactic isnt used to get our defensive line set and extra time for defenders down that end...

You blatantly denied that was the case and ensured me that i was wrong...

yet haven't come up with anything that shows that isnt the game plan... which is pretty much widely been talked about by not only commentators but our own players and coach haha

Get on your high horse about people being arrogant but you dish it out yourself haha.

I know theres soo much more to a good kicking game hahah. Hence why ive been the most critical person of nathans kicking game on these forums at times...

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Mate its pretty obvious youve done some coaching course in the last 2 years now you think you are wayne bennett coaching kids haha.

The high bomb tactic has been spoken about over and over and over again by commentators on 9 and fox and how it gives our defence time to swamp the wingers or db..

I can assure you you are wrong hahha..and i didn't need to listen to all the former players and coaches on fox or 9 to know that...

Its obvious.

Please enlighten us in all your wisdom why nathan does mid field bombs than??? Cause he only trys the floaters every so often?? Probs 90% of his midfield bombs are just stock high kicks wingers catch easy....

How do you know what i do or dont know haha... you wouldnt have a clue.
Well you still are yet to explain how that the high bomb tactic isnt used to get our defensive line set and extra time for defenders down that end...

You blatantly denied that was the case and ensured me that i was wrong...

yet haven't come up with anything that shows that isnt the game plan... which is pretty much widely been talked about by not only commentators but our own players and coach haha

Get on your high horse about people being arrogant but you dish it out yourself haha.

I know theres soo much more to a good kicking game hahah. Hence why ive been the most critical person of nathans kicking game on these forums at times...

I can tell by the way that you talk. You talk like a classic footy fan, who watches heaps of footy and talks to his mates about games and stuff, which is completely fine. Keep loving your footy, being critical of things and voicing your opinion. It’s all good.

I’ve already explained the basics of what Nathan is always trying to achieve when he kicks in general play, which essentially one of two out comes, I’m not going to go through it again.

Kilkenny

Coach
Surely Garner comes into the side at centre for this game ?

At least he has experience playing the position, where in particular defence is key.

Garner in for Luke, straight into the centres, Hosking into the bench. Salmon can play dummy half for 10 minutes if Kenny needs a spell.

Girds89

Bench
I can tell by the way that you talk. You talk like a classic footy fan, who watches heaps of footy and talks to his mates about games and stuff, which is completely fine. Keep loving your footy, being critical of things and voicing your opinion. It’s all good.

I’ve already explained the basics of what Nathan is always trying to achieve when he kicks in general play, which essentially one of two out comes, I’m not going to go through it again.

I can tell by the way you talk youve coached some kids..

Your explanation for what nathan is trying to achieve as a kicker is kid level coaching stuff... you said something along the lines of below...

"Either the back three catching it on the 10-20 or it hitting the grass is what tactical kicking is all about...the height of the kick makes very little difference"....

Basically your saying tactical kicking is literally just kicking it haha.

As i stated in my earlier post... thats not tactical kicking. Thats just kicking...

Tactics is... what side do we want to pin them on....who is the weaker catcher.... who do we not want taking the first hit up after a catch... do we want to be kicking it to the fb to tire him out... are we struggling to get out of our end and should we kick on the third... Have they got a player struggling or injured are we going at them... has a player dropped a bomb and his confidence is down.. is big nelson on one side and we dont want him having a carry or we do...

Thats a snippet of tactics that goes through a kickers head before they kick... every kick..

Nathans not just doing the high bombs to wherever and giving himself a pat on the back and saying that was a great tactical kick haha.

The high bomb ploy is used to give the defense an extra bit of time to get down the other end.. teams know nathan is a great kicker.. unless he kicks really early in the count it makes it hard to find open grass on a long direct kick cause the back three are back to stop the threat of a 40/20 etc...

Cause the back 3 are back its almost impossible to find the grass as players can move the short 15m distance between them to catch a kick...

Hence he puts the bombs up. The hang time gives the defence extra time to get down there with a solid defensive line.

It really is basic stuff but there is a ploy behind it..

Im really not sure how 99% of people and commentators and the players have said this bit you dont get it..

Anyway. Up the panthers tonight.. i hope you enjoy the game. 2 points here with bromcs without reynolds is huge..

Munky

Coach
I've never set foot in a professional kitchen and sure as f**k not a chef.

I have however consumed enough professionally made food to establish whether or not said food is good or bad. Not only that but notice the trends of what works in the current market.

I don't see how the same can't apply to sport. We recognise the pattern of what makes a player and thus a team successful.

The same way a dumpster fire of a restaurant in its opening period can come good as they find their place in the market. The same applies to footballers. The chances are just really low. It's to the credit to the Panthers coaching staff that a pure plodder like Mitch Kenny can become a reasonable first grader.

FFS the analytics department of nerds took over pro sport when they realised cold hard statistics beats intuition 90% of the time. Pretty sure those blokes never put the studs on in their lives. It's recognising causation that is the talent not identifying correlation. Andrew Webster if the Panthers doco is to be believed is heavily into analytics given his few words spoken.

Apologies, I'm semi drunk on the train so rambling.

Girds89

Bench
I've never set foot in a professional kitchen and sure as f**k not a chef.

I have however consumed enough professionally made food to establish whether or not said food is good or bad. Not only that but notice the trends of what works in the current market.

I don't see how the same can't apply to sport. We recognise the pattern of what makes a player and thus a team successful.

The same way a dumpster fire of a restaurant in its opening period can come good as they find their place in the market. The same applies to footballers. The chances are just really low. It's to the credit to the Panthers coaching staff that a pure plodder like Mitch Kenny can become a reasonable first grader.

FFS the analytics department of nerds took over pro sport when they realised cold hard statistics beats intuition 90% of the time. Pretty sure those blokes never put the studs on in their lives. It's recognising causation that is the talent not identifying correlation. Andrew Webster if the Panthers doco is to be believed is heavily into analytics given his few words spoken.

Apologies, I'm semi drunk on the train so rambling.
Train bound to penny park i hope