What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Melbourne

Shame that this won’t be at full strength either side. We need a good hit out with a likely contender before the finals. Maybe that might come with our final regular season game with the Cowboys

Fangs

Coach
Good luck to Hosking.

Not the most difficult assignment as their starting centres are out but it's still a test. Interesting that he is ahead of Garner who has done the job in the past.

soc123_au

Staff member
It’s really got nothing to do with the NFL, it’s not the best option 90%, it’s the best option depending on the circumstances.

I truely don’t understand why you keep saying that.
Smash the receiver as he catches. Effectively a 5 tackle set.

Fangs

Coach
I think Cleary had to change as it was becoming too obvious.

With that said the opposition can pretty much do nothing about it if you execute it well. You nail the guy catching the ball but it relies on a good chase in case it bounces. The shit teams are terrible with that and concede metres regularly.

I think you'll see plenty of bombs come finals time. Keep your powder dry.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Smash the receiver as he catches. Effectively a 5 tackle set.
That’s no more effective than a ball hitting grass inside the 20.

Either the back three catching the ball on their 10-20 or the ball hitting the grass inside the 20 is what tactical kicking is about.
The height of the kick really makes very little difference.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
It won us a GF and Nathan a CC medal. Do try keep up
Nathan’s kicking did yes. It’s not “NFL” style kicking is my point.

NFL punters kick for “Hang time”, Nathan does not. He kicks what ever kick he needs to achieve either, a catch between the 10 or 20 or Ball on the grass inside the twenty.

It’s kicking in general play 101 and its coached everywhere.

Nathan and Jerome just happen to be very good kickers.

Munky

Coach
I just looked at the Storm team for tomorrow.

The backline outside of Munster is reserve grade level.

Good to see Penrith 2021 PF finals legend George Jennings getting a game.

MugaB

Coach
Yeah Garner should be on the bench instead of Salmon. No disrespect to Salmon but Garner offers more impact and could easily replace Hosking in the centres if Hosking gets gassed.
Are we doing this again?
Garner was a centre in a wooden spoon team, he was pretty average in defence at the begining of the year, and you want to put him in at centre against the storm.. fmd... hosking all day sir!!!!

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Are we doing this again?
Garner was a centre in a wooden spoon team, he was pretty average in defence at the begining of the year, and you want to put him in at centre against the storm.. fmd... hosking all day sir!!!!
I think Hosking is too big to defend at centre. Especially if the opposing centre is quick

Iamback

Coach
He should definitely be looking for 40/20's though.

I can see Lord Peter getting rid of the 7 tackle set from inside the attacking 20 or 30. Would improve the game without a doubt

Even a knock on is 7 tackles, So those kicks even if they are contested are likely 7 tackles

maple_69

Bench
if the Storm don’t put up a fight here I think we need to rest the whole 17 over the next couple games and use Parra and the Cows as proper warm up games with the full squad. Build it up over 3 games, earn the week off and then our season really starts for the final 2 games.