What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 V Souths

Just finished watching the game. For the last 59 minutes our defence made it look like the Bunnies were running in quick-sand, but geez the Bunnies got the rough end of the stick with the refereeing. It seems like the p!asked him off around that scuffle after the Naden drop-ball, because after that he was looking for things to penalise them for.

Kilkenny

Coach
I don’t think I’ve watched a replay since we beat the Bunnies in Dubbo. Unusual for me, but it just doesn’t feel the same when you are restricted to watching games on TV. Almost always watched home games again simply because watching it live is an entirely different experience. I’m gonna watch Friday nights game again shortly, build up to watching Man Utd v Southhampton PL game at 9.30. Even given the Bunnies started fast on Friday night, got out to 12-0, I remained optimistic and thought there were positive signs. Did really well I thought. I was really pleased, a performance to really build on.

Panther79

Juniors
I don’t think I’ve watched a replay since we beat the Bunnies in Dubbo. Unusual for me, but it just doesn’t feel the same when you are restricted to watching games on TV. Almost always watched home games again simply because watching it live is an entirely different experience. I’m gonna watch Friday nights game again shortly, build up to watching Man Utd v Southhampton PL game at 9.30. Even given the Bunnies started fast on Friday night, got out to 12-0, I remained optimistic and thought there were positive signs. Did really well I thought. I was really pleased, a performance to really build on.
Same here, we had no ball and no field position so I was happy with being only 12-0 down and elated at 12-10 going into HT. Knew once we got our share we would steam roll them. Can't even remember a scoring chance they had in the second half.

The Realist

Juniors
Yep. This happened 👍

Good call. LOL at all the - but we should have kept Mansour crew. What for? His vulnerabilities are stark and well organised teams like Melbourne (and a Nathan Cleary Panthers) can take advantage of them to the point that it is fatal for his team.

He could run for 250 metres and make 12 tackle breaks but all of that is worthless if his errors lead to multiple tries.

martielang

Bench
Good call. LOL at all the - but we should have kept Mansour crew. What for? His vulnerabilities are stark and well organised teams like Melbourne (and a Nathan Cleary Panthers) can take advantage of them to the point that it is fatal for his team.

He could run for 250 metres and make 12 tackle breaks but all of that is worthless if his errors lead to multiple tries.

I must of missed where that happened last year?

betcats

Referee
When cleary hits those bombs sweet he can give anyone nightmares. Sauce was a clear target in both games we played souths. Either with kicks or trying to get him to rush in defensively and it has worked both times. I don't know who they have that can come in for him he's probably still the best option they have but you can bet everything you have we will go after him again in a couple weeks if he is there and coaches like Bellamy and Hasler will do the same if they have to play souths. I dont want to bag him overly much but he's had this in his game for all of his career, his metres and kick returns used to more than make up for it but I really don't think it does anymore. Carrying him into a finals game against a top four side just gives them a really obvious place to attack.

soc123_au

Staff member

I'll take my medicine in regards to being pissed Sauce got flicked. The club called it correctly. I still felt sorry for him on Friday though. Sentimentality is a funny thing. I cant imagine Wayne playing him next time we meet.

snickers007

Juniors
NRL.com reporting that Sauce is done for the season with knee injury.

Shame for all involved. Not sure who they bring in to replace him - but hopefully they're just as shaky under the high ball.

I'll take my medicine in regards to being pissed Sauce got flicked. The club called it correctly. I still felt sorry for him on Friday though. Sentimentality is a funny thing. I cant imagine Wayne playing him next time we meet.
A small part of me felt sorry for him. But the ruthless part me thought, “well, Souths want to take the risk so fair game”.

It was rather majestic to watch how Cleary dismantled him so effectively and so easily.

However, it was good to see him and the Panther boys having friendly banter afterwards. No doubt Sauce would’ve said to Cleary, “you got me twice ya Bastard!”

And I agree re Wayne. He would be crazy to put Mansour on the wing for the first week of the finals. Physically and psychologically, I don’t think he’ll recover in time for what would be another Cleary aerial onslaught.

EDIT: just saw your post @snickers007 . That’s a shame for them….and for us 😉

Last edited:

forby

Juniors
From News Ltd Matt Logue - “The former Panthers flyer was left battered and bruised as his ex-club physically went after him.”
I think this is an offensive comment . Besides who was the one who got penalised for a couple of facials?

DinkyDi

Juniors
From News Ltd Matt Logue - “The former Panthers flyer was left battered and bruised as his ex-club physically went after him.”
I think this is an offensive comment . Besides who was the one who got penalised for a couple of facials?
Well Nathan did, he targeted Mansour with kicks, in which he failed to defused.

Girds89

Bench
I personally think we shot ourselves in the foot a bit with the tactic to exploit sauce.

Dont get me wrong, it was a smart tactic.. just wouldve preferred them to hold off on using it till week one of the finals when it truly matters.

Now sauce wont be there and both paulo and johnson are much more reliable under the high ball.

We couldve done the same thing but to alex johnson and lured them into a sense of security re, sauce.

I personally think we shot ourselves in the foot a bit with the tactic to exploit sauce.

Dont get me wrong, it was a smart tactic.. just wouldve preferred them to hold off on using it till week one of the finals when it truly matters.

Now sauce wont be there and both paulo and johnson are much more reliable under the high ball.

We couldve done the same thing but to alex johnson and lured them into a sense of security re, sauce.
I get what you’re saying. However, with Wayne’s reputation, they should’ve thought twice about sending Sauce out there on Friday night, knowing that Cleary would be inclined to utilise the same tactic as what was applied with tremendous success in Dubbo.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I get what you’re saying. However, with Wayne’s reputation, they should’ve thought twice about sending Sauce out there on Friday night, knowing that Cleary would be inclined to utilise the same tactic as what was applied with tremendous success in Dubbo.

Souths are now carrying some pretty big scary scars from the Penrith and Storm losses this year.

Both teams live inside Souffs players, and supporters heads rent free. 🤣