What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 V Souths

murraymob

Coach
Well instead of 6 agains he was giving penalties..but isolated everyone of them seemed reasonable.

I can imagine if we got smashed in penalties like that being angry. But i cant think of any wrong decisions really.
To 50 50 calls went our way lua caught the ball on the inside shoulder the passed that lead to a try .I have seen them disallowed .The mono try the pass before was line ball forward .Yes we got a few decisions that helped .But it’s our ability to continually compete in defence non stop that got us over the line

martielang

Bench
After 25min. Ave set distances

Souths 36m
Panthers 23m.

If that isn't on the middles who is it?

We were losing the forward battle and as such field position. Sorensen started it and TPJ finished with us on top

Souths were red hot, had all the momentum and pinned us deep in our area. Our backs and forwards were struggling to penetrate due to the speed and control of South’s line. Our middle didn’t fold despite the pressure and defensively were pretty tight all things considered. Any other team outside Melb are down by 20+ after that first 20 mins.

The_Frog

First Grade
After 25min. Ave set distances

Souths 36m
Panthers 23m.

If that isn't on the middles who is it?

We were losing the forward battle and as such field position. Sorensen started it and TPJ finished with us on top
This was when JFH was sorely missed.

martielang

Bench
I don’t think JFH makes much difference to that first 20 last night. We barely had the ball and were battered in the early plays of our sets so any forward that got the ball was smothered. To’o would’ve made a massive difference though.

And no I’m not saying Huth is as good as JFH.

Huth is better.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I don’t think JFH makes much difference to that first 20 last night. We barely had the ball and were battered in the early plays of our sets so any forward that got the ball was smothered. To’o would’ve made a massive difference though.

And no I’m not saying Huth is as good as JFH.

Huth is better.
Martie has found his new Katoa ♡♡♡

franklin2323

Immortal
They both lost State of Origin 3. But anything to try and belittle Nathans effect on the team and his results.

We have clearly improved the past 2 weeks with his return despite him holding back due to his shoulder.

Where have I belittled him or the team?

We have been 1st or 2nd every week since Round 7 last year. We have won 35 from 39 in that time. Sitting at roughly 90%

2 of those loses were with 6 or so out through Origin. So you could probably discount those games.

Leaves 35 out of 37. Both losses to Storm no one single player played every game so unlike Manly that can't win without Tom Turbo we are pretty consistant regardless of who is in the team

Crashtest

Juniors
Ivan is getting the end of year wobbles again

Yeah he is going terrible. Just won his 19th game, an equal Penrith record, from 22 starts this season. Will have the Penrith record for wins as of next round. Has beaten coaching greats Bennet 2 from 2, Robinson 2 from 2, Bellamy 1 from 2 this season as well. Has developed a fantastic team first culture, has the team believing in themselves and with a such a great attitude that allows for them to still come back from being outplayed and 12 points down to putting on 25 unanswered points.

Im surprised their are not calls or him to be sacked

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah he is going terrible. Just won his 19th game, an equal Penrith record, from 22 starts this season. Will have the Penrith record for wins as of next round. Has beaten coaching greats Bennet 2 from 2, Robinson 2 from 2, Bellamy 1 from 2 this season as well. Has developed a fantastic team first culture, has the team believing in themselves and with a such a great attitude that allows for them to still come back from being outplayed and 12 points down to putting on 25 unanswered points.

Im surprised their are not calls or him to be sacked
So you agree with Crichton getting moved to the wing?

tripster

Juniors
My observation (for what it is worth) of what was happening in the first 25 minutes, was that Souths have a larger and more powerful pack than us, who came out fired up. As the game wore on, our slightly smaller, but fitter and more agile pack wore them down.

Guys like Sorensen and Hopgood would never have been able to play successfully in the middle 2 seasons ago - with the wrestle and slower game, big forwards were able to catch their breath a lot more, and you needed big middles to win games. Number 13 in many teams (including our own - that being JFH's position for many seasons) was just another prop.

However, given the game has now sped up and there are far fewer opportunities to have a breather, cardiovascular endurance is even more important than it was in the past - slightly smaller, fitter and more agile guys are now the prototype middle forward. Teams struggle to maintain line speed over a game, and if you are quick, you can be gaining 7-8 metres before you even meet the opposition defence.

I think a big part of our success has been the fact that - for years - Phil Gould was saying that the number of interchanges were going to decrease to bring more fatigue into the game (he was ultimately wrong about that, but the NRL did do the same thing a slightly different way) and that Penrith were preparing for it in the type of players they developed and how they trained. That probably counted against us a few seasons ago, but when the six again was brought in, we were ahead of the curve. Ivan also realised ahead of other coaches the sort of players that were now going to be effective.

Coaches like Nathan Brown who went and signed the biggest forwards on the market have made a massive blunder. I think it is also no coincidence that Jason Taumalolo is having his worst season since debuting in first grade. I suspect we are going to see a lot of rebuilding in other clubs over the next 2-3 years, with the giant prop slowly fading out of the game.

Latest posts