What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v The Bloody Bulldogs

With approximately 5 minutes to go a large group of Bulldogs fans on the hill sang a rousing rendition of ‘When the Saints go marching in’, which was genius level trolling. The abuse hurled at Dragons players by their own supporters can never be outdone.

The level of concentration required to make heads explode through the power of my will remains elusive.

BLM01

First Grade
Well after watching the game for the 1st time just now after being disappointed with the result and kicking stones a bit today and reading a lot of negative about our players my thoughts are we were not that far away,
defense in most parts was good, .. dogs to solid in defence..yeah
The score did not reflect the closeness of that game. We execute a bit better in moments we were in that game up to our eyeballs. One poor read for Xerris 2nd try and Lawries poor hit on Mann.
We will miss Suli but I am still buoyant for next week
Not sure what to make of Flannos incident, saw it in fast motion Chrichton head butted his mouth
but if he did it he did it, no escaping a bite.
I thought Hunt who was poor against the Pennies was busy and tried hard and was not that bad.

Veteran Dragon

Juniors
Gould is trying to buy a competition by buying all the Penrith players they can’t fit under their salary cap. When you think they must have spent their cap limit they are chasing or have signed another player other clubs were after.
Flanno is a premiership winning coach. He has improved what was a favourite for the wooden spoon to semi final contenders and yet besides signing Damien Cook for next year we can’t attract representative players to the club like the bulldogs keep doing under their dodgy salary cap. It is bloody frustrating!

Dragon David

First Grade
Gould is trying to buy a competition by buying all the Penrith players they can’t fit under their salary cap. When you think they must have spent their cap limit they are chasing or have signed another player other clubs were after.
Flanno is a premiership winning coach. He has improved what was a favourite for the wooden spoon to semi final contenders and yet besides signing Damien Cook for next year we can’t attract representative players to the club like the bulldogs keep doing under their dodgy salary cap. It is bloody frustrating!
It really is frustrating VD. I truly believe that if we could attract three decent players and not the second best, we would be a vastly better team and capable of making the top 4. If we were pulling in the players that the Bulldogs have been able to do (very questionable as to how they can fork out all that moolah and not exceed their salary cap) then wow.

It is crazy beyond belief that while we have money to spend we have only bought Cook and while I know that Flanno is wanting 2 middle forwards and an outside back, there is no guarantee that he will get the ones he wants and we might again be signing similar not so good guys as in previous years.

It seems very unfair that there are clubs who get goodies, while we don't. We could win the grand final if we could land some decent players that's what frustrates me.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well after watching the game for the 1st time just now after being disappointed with the result and kicking stones a bit today and reading a lot of negative about our players my thoughts are we were not that far away,
defense in most parts was good, .. dogs to solid in defence..yeah
The score did not reflect the closeness of that game. We execute a bit better in moments we were in that game up to our eyeballs. One poor read for Xerris 2nd try and Lawries poor hit on Mann.
We will miss Suli but I am still buoyant for next week
Not sure what to make of Flannos incident, saw it in fast motion Chrichton head butted his mouth
but if he did it he did it, no escaping a bite.
I thought Hunt who was poor against the Pennies was busy and tried hard and was not that bad.
Sorry BLM01, you meant the Bulldogs rather than the Pennies, I think??

justadragon

Bench
I definitely don’t read everyone’s posts!
I pick and choose who I want to read.
And I enjoy the forum just fine.
That choice is yours and by all means do what you want, I believe the forum should be all inclusive, I dont have to agree with what others write or their opinions, they are entitled to that as well. I even read "I'm Hornby's" posts to make sure that his hatred of Flanno is still his No1 priority in his life :) I find a lot of passion in posts , yes some key board warrior stuff, but hey its all good until it gets personal and derogatory.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
It really is frustrating VD. I truly believe that if we could attract three decent players and not the second best, we would be a vastly better team and capable of making the top 4. If we were pulling in the players that the Bulldogs have been able to do (very questionable as to how they can fork out all that moolah and not exceed their salary cap) then wow.

It is crazy beyond belief that while we have money to spend we have only bought Cook and while I know that Flanno is wanting 2 middle forwards and an outside back, there is no guarantee that he will get the ones he wants and we might again be signing similar not so good guys as in previous years.

It seems very unfair that there are clubs who get goodies, while we don't. We could win the grand final if we could land some decent players that's what frustrates me.
I would imagine Dave that there is a lot going on behind the scenes, or at least I'm hoping there is. My only concern is that we dont let our juniors go somewhere else. I guarantee you their managers will be fighting to get them on big bucks early and with these new teams coming in cashed up we will have a fight on our hands keeping them. It really pisses me off that the talent pool is at its worst atm and we are bringing in more clubs, disgraceful, all they will do is go on a poaching spree.

SGMax

Juniors

Monday Buzz: Stephen Crichton’s actions contributed to biting furore with Kyle Flanagan​

Kyle Flanagan’s season is on the line after being sent straight to the judiciary to face a biting allegation. But Stephen Crichton also has a case to answer, PHIL ROTHFIELD writes.

August 11, 2024 - 7:00PM

NRL: The Bulldogs are still in touch with the top 4 after a tough win against the Dragons but a Kyle Flanagan bite has overshadowed the victory.

NRL

Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
follow
The one thing missing on the NRL’s charge sheet from Kogarah Oval on Saturday night was a grading on Canterbury captain Stephen Crichton for sticking his nose into the mouth of an opponent.
Now I know Crichton is one of the most respected players in rugby league.
I know he plays so tough and so strong and is normally a clean player, but … let’s have a deeper dive into the story after watching a hundred replays.
St George Illawarra five-eighth Kyle Flanagan has been accused of biting the Bulldogs centre in an ugly aftermath to the Kogarah blockbuster, which Canterbury won 28-10.
Listening to the Fox League experts on Saturday night you would suggest he was guilty as charged.
“That was hard to watch and it’s hard evidence,” Mal Meninga said. “There’s no doubt that he’s bitten him.”

And then Cooper Cronk, after watching countless replays: “That is damning evidence.”
A trial by media.
Fair enough, both are paid to have their on-the-spot opinions on live television.

They don’t get the benefit of sleeping on it.
Yet we have a player who can’t defend himself because of NRL rules around their judiciary.
Now look at the video again …
Seriously, what is Flanagan supposed to do?
He is lying on the ground with a 99kg man on top, forcing his face into the Dragons playmaker.
Canterbury forward Jacob Preston and centre Stephen Crichton tackle St George Illawarra five-eighth Kyle Flanagan. Picture: Fox League

Canterbury forward Jacob Preston and centre Stephen Crichton tackle St George Illawarra five-eighth Kyle Flanagan. Picture: Fox League
Preston and Crichton complete the tackle on Flanagan. Picture: Fox League

Preston and Crichton complete the tackle on Flanagan. Picture: Fox League
As Preston releases from the tackle, Crichton continues, moving towards Flanagan's face as the Dragons No.6 fights him off. Picture: Fox League

As Preston releases from the tackle, Crichton continues, moving towards Flanagan's face as the Dragons No.6 fights him off. Picture: Fox League
Certainly, a new technique in slowing down the play the ball.
Crichton’s nose goes into Flanagan’s mouth. Clear as day.
It’s not Flanagan’s fault, it’s Crichton’s.
At no stage does Flanagan lift or move his head towards Crichton’s nose or snap at it.
It just happened to be there.
Possession is gold these days and, with one arm locked around the football, Flanagan tried in vain to push Crichton away from his face.
Crichton gets to his feet and his nose is bleeding, no doubt as a result of Flanagan’s teeth.
But what would you do if someone shoved their nose into your mouth in these days of Covid, various influenza strains and the horrible viruses that are getting around?
Crichton rubs his face on Flanagan's, pressing his nose against his mouth.

Crichton rubs his face on Flanagan's, pressing his nose against his mouth.
The moment of impact between Flanagan and Crichton.

The moment of impact between Flanagan and Crichton.
I’d be disgusted.
So we’re off to Moore Park for a huge judiciary case on Monday night.
Judging by previous suspensions for this offence, Flanagan is facing three to six weeks.
I do not believe, on this occasion, that it is a fair outcome.
Hopefully the old folk on the judiciary will recognise that it was Crichton’s actions that actually caused the incident.
Disclaimer: Yes, I’m a friend of Shane Flanagan, which will no doubt be mentioned in online comments. However, I would be writing exactly the same about any other player.

BLM01

First Grade
Usually agree with pretty much everything you post but I don't know how you could watch the Bulldogs game and come out of it thinking Hunt was anything but woefully bad.
Watched with out emotion of the moment
Difference of opinion I suppose but he created chances more than prior weeks this year
I call him out when fully deserves it like Penrith game
No they did not come off but I have been looking for someone to create holes for eons
I said he was part of the execution mistakes but so were others around him and said he was not that bad but I suppose not that good either
I also said he had a bad read for Xerri try 2
One kick unluckily bounced too long half 2
Back to the team effort it was there for almost 80 and Hunt was in everything good and wrong
We get that right I see a better side coming

Sorry BLM01, you meant the Bulldogs rather than the Pennies, I think??
No

Dragon David

First Grade
I would imagine Dave that there is a lot going on behind the scenes, or at least I'm hoping there is. My only concern is that we dont let our juniors go somewhere else. I guarantee you their managers will be fighting to get them on big bucks early and with these new teams coming in cashed up we will have a fight on our hands keeping them. It really pisses me off that the talent pool is at its worst atm and we are bringing in more clubs, disgraceful, all they will do is go on a poaching spree.
We have really got to get a move on in securing those decent players Flanno is after and also to make sure we secure the services of the good youngsters who will one day be in big demand all before they are snapped up. This NRL bringing in another 3 clubs is going to really put more of a drain on the players market. More clubs poaching, more clubs getting, less good players available etc.

Well I figure that once there are 20 teams in the comp, the NRL most probably would be seeking more money from the TV channels and pay TV costs will rise and there will be more ads. Games will probably be split 2 on Thursday and Friday nights and 3 on both Saturdays and Sundays, not that all this has got anything to do with this Round 23 thread, so I am going to copy it and post in the signings thread.

Cheers, all done.

sammymills

Juniors
There wasnt much in this game after half time. We managed to mount pressure and do a lot of good things but couldnt execute, we lacked patience. There were a few sets where we managed to pin them and stop their run metres but as usual Burton would get them out of trouble. It makes such a difference having a bloke that can boot a ball 60-70m on the fly. Him and Cleary are the only ones who can do this week-in-week out in the comp.

In a positive i thought Sloans kick returns were better than usual.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
There wasnt much in this game after half time. We managed to mount pressure and do a lot of good things but couldnt execute, we lacked patience. There were a few sets where we managed to pin them and stop their run metres but as usual Burton would get them out of trouble. It makes such a difference having a bloke that can boot a ball 60-70m on the fly. Him and Cleary are the only ones who can do this week-in-week out in the comp.

In a positive i thought Sloans kick returns were better than usual.
Yeah, his returns actually reminded me of when he first came into FG and would actually try evade defenders when returning the footy. Only dropped for one game but it clearly sparked something in him

Latest posts