What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 vs Roosters

denis preston

First Grade
I guess with the juniors we have to trust a bloke that has a proven record in developing them. IMO Amone has played parts of 8 games ? Until last week you would not have noticed him at all. Takes games & experience to develop confidence to try the things he did against the Panthers. Sullivan like Amone is now starting from the bench to ease him in gently. Slone I hope gets game time in him this year still but one things for sure Hook would be cursing that there is no Reserve grade to help him bring them on.

kit66

Bench
I always try to tip the Dragons no matter what but with all our missing troops, our lack of quality depth, Norman going out of his way to lose us games ( what will it be this week - missed tackles, kicking out on the full, intercept passes ? maybe he'll try something new ) and our downward spiral in defence, I can't see us getting a win here. Our rightful place on the ladder is 12th or 13th and it seems we're hell bent on achieving that.

Dragons by 1

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I guess with the juniors we have to trust a bloke that has a proven record in developing them. IMO Amone has played parts of 8 games ? Until last week you would not have noticed him at all. Takes games & experience to develop confidence to try the things he did against the Panthers. Sullivan like Amone is now starting from the bench to ease him in gently. Slone I hope gets game time in him this year still but one things for sure Hook would be cursing that there is no Reserve grade to help him bring them on.
Yeah it’s a big loss for sure. They could learn things from first grade and be given pointers to work on in reserves when they drop back.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I’d say Norman is only there under sufferance due to injuries, experience & kicking. McGuire & Dufty don’t have any kicking game & you probably can’t expect Amone to do it all.
No doubt the roosters will be keen to get at Amone but he looks like he’s a player that won’t go into his shell. Hopefully any undue illegalities from them is picked up at the time & not afterwards or three tackles later.
Amone also come on late when the Panthers were tired, I guess he doesn’t want to throw Sullivan/Amone to the wolves just yet against a well oiled machine like the Rorters. He obviously doesn’t rate Clune at all anymore and thinks he is basically no better than those two with less upside. I tend to agree at this stage. He is more just protecting players imo. If Sullivan goes ok and Norman had a Barry Sullivan may start vs NQ imo.

Trifili13

Juniors
While we would all like explanations why certain players are chosen and others not, it can set a nasty precedent and come back to bite the coach. Imagine if he comes out this week and says Sloan has had a taste this year of first grade and will better for it for next year but I don't think he is ready for week to week football that's why I haven't chosen him and then next week he chooses him. It sends mixed messages to the player, opposition and fans.

I also read fans saying why doesn't the club tell the fans what players or positions we are chasing. Firstly, if the club said we are after a hooker for next year, how would that make the incumbent feel that he is not wanted. Also drives up the price as agents know you are after a certain player/position. I am happy if they do their work behind closed doors.

blacksafake

First Grade
While we would all like explanations why certain players are chosen and others not, it can set a nasty precedent and come back to bite the coach. Imagine if he comes out this week and says Sloan has had a taste this year of first grade and will better for it for next year but I don't think he is ready for week to week football that's why I haven't chosen him and then next week he chooses him. It sends mixed messages to the player, opposition and fans.

I also read fans saying why doesn't the club tell the fans what players or positions we are chasing. Firstly, if the club said we are after a hooker for next year, how would that make the incumbent feel that he is not wanted. Also drives up the price as agents know you are after a certain player/position. I am happy if they do their work behind closed doors.
Too much logic in this 😁
Anyway I’d like to think Hook is in communication with the young ones re where they’re at, at this point in time.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Amone also come on late when the Panthers were tired, I guess he doesn’t want to throw Sullivan/Amone to the wolves just yet against a well oiled machine like the Rorters. He obviously doesn’t rate Clune at all anymore and thinks he is basically no better than those two with less upside. I tend to agree at this stage. He is more just protecting players imo. If Sullivan goes ok and Norman had a Barry Sullivan may start vs NQ imo.
Yes, well it didn’t work with the more experienced Bird playing five eighth against Easts on Anzac Day, so believe you could be right regarding sheilding the youngsters early in the game.

Trifili13

Juniors
Too much logic in this 😁
Anyway I’d like to think Hook is in communication with the young ones re where they’re at, at this point in time.
I must be on the wrong forum or follow the wrong club then. Logic and the Dragon's have been polar opposites in the past decade.😎
Now I think you are being too logical, but hopefully Hook is in fact sitting down with all players and especially the younger ones and telling them where they are at and what they need to do to become proper first graders.

Dragon David

First Grade
I must be on the wrong forum or follow the wrong club then. Logic and the Dragon's have been polar opposites in the past decade.😎
Now I think you are being too logical, but hopefully Hook is in fact sitting down with all players and especially the younger ones and telling them where they are at and what they need to do to become proper first graders.
I feel we are reading too much into what Hook is doing with the juniors. He has been an above the 50% rate in his previous stints at other clubs and must know how to bring up the young ones to become better players as they mature. We have got to trust his judgement and all good things hopefully will materialise in the next couple of years. We have to play a patience game and I'm sure Hook can sense our impatience because of what has happened this year under his tutelage. It has been a year to forget as far as he, the club and we are concerned.

A win against the Roosters, which I am hoping will happen, will go a long way in raising Hook's credibility as a coach. A loss and Hook will continue to seek answers and we continue to wonder.

Dragon David

First Grade
I hope Sloan bulks up somewhat in the off season as he is the future at fullback. Extra muscle bulk will assist his capabilities in that position. He is still a kid really, but will learn fast once a fixture at the back
Here is an excerpt from a write up in the SMH in June 2021 about Sloan.

"Sloan will be given time to grow into his new role in every sense. His quest to bulk up beyond his current 84-kilogram frame was hindered by a broken jaw suffered early in the year, preventing him from eating solids for several weeks.

“They put some pins in me because it was my chin and my jaw, I broke it in two places,” he said."

This together with maturity is what Hook has set his goals for Sloan to achieve. He would definitely have been speaking to Sloan about this and just to be patient and good things will come.

Trifili13

Juniors
Here is an excerpt from a write up in the SMH in June 2021 about Sloan.

"Sloan will be given time to grow into his new role in every sense. His quest to bulk up beyond his current 84-kilogram frame was hindered by a broken jaw suffered early in the year, preventing him from eating solids for several weeks.

“They put some pins in me because it was my chin and my jaw, I broke it in two places,” he said."

This together with maturity is what Hook has set his goals for Sloan to achieve. He would definitely have been speaking to Sloan about this and just to be patient and good things will come.
Working from home all I have done is eat and no exercise in the past 9 months and put on 5kgs. Maybe our juniors should do the same.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Is no Sloan due to him being a development player? Now that we have most of the squad back he may not be eligible.
A lot of Griffin’s selections this year have been vexing, Kerr at second row didn’t work & has stopped his development, even Ellis is starting above him this week. Persisting with Beale at Centre & playing Bird at fullback was never going to work. And continuing to pick Norman even though he lets in more tries than he creates. Very frustrating season, we can only hope Griffin has learned some lessons & the same errors aren’t made next year.

redv13

Bench
A lot of Griffin’s selections this year have been vexing, Kerr at second row didn’t work & has stopped his development, even Ellis is starting above him this week. Persisting with Beale at Centre & playing Bird at fullback was never going to work. And continuing to pick Norman even though he lets in more tries than he creates. Very frustrating season, we can only hope Griffin has learned some lessons & the same errors aren’t made next year.
I think you’ll find 2022 will be a lot better with the in’s and out’s of the roster. You’ll fall in love with Griffin again no doubt next year. Been an absolute nightmare of circumstances this season ( some self inflicted by the players ) and hardly fair to crucify Griffin this season