What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 vs Tigers.

Old Timer

Coach
Why is it separate? I mean, if the refs didn't give those soft penalties away, then the tigers wouldn't have had those opportunities. That fact we kept them out shows we had a different attitude tonight.
Go back and have a real close look at the first 6 penalties and then be honest in your appraisal as to of they were soft.
IMO 4 of the 6 were warranted with the big question being why no penalties in the same time period against Tigpies especially the Packet on LL incident.
Yes we kept them out but as Benji said walking off at half time "they couldn't have been worse" so was it also a case of their failure to compleat?

Old Timer

Coach
Individual efforts like 5 forwards running over 100metres?
Individual efforts like preventing all but 1 of their forwards running 100m?
Individual efforts like the luc bust and offload to Mann who drew defenders and put JP over?
Individual efforts like holding them scoreless through another 6-0 penalty count to start the game?
The Tigpies played tonight like they have all year, great Defense, lots of effort but lacking execution. Damn right we need to improve, but the attitude and commitment was there.
No doubt you love a stat or 2.
I just looked at the game again and the distinct lack of cohesive team work means we are totally reliant on individual skill and determination to score tries which in the end is what you have to do.
There is no sign of great attacking raids with interchange passing nor is there any evidence of forwards attacking in unison and offloading.
We are a very predictable team with moments of individual brilliance or determination.
FMD watching Manly being smashed was great but when they attacked they were great to watch and much more enjoyable to look at than our plodfest although the LL bust and subsequent try to JP was excellent but not a permanent feature of our play to date but here's hoping we do see some more of that.
Re the Tigpies Benji said it all walking to the shed "we couldn't have been worse" so with that in mind how good were we?
Good enough to win yes but a cohesive and fluent team effort that will make the good team worry well I'll leave that to you to answer.

True_Believer

Juniors
Go back and have a real close look at the first 6 penalties and then be honest in your appraisal as to of they were soft.
IMO 4 of the 6 were warranted with the big question being why no penalties in the same time period against Tigpies especially the Packet on LL incident.
Yes we kept them out but as Benji said walking off at half time "they couldn't have been worse" so was it also a case of their failure to compleat?

I was referring to "soft" in the context of the game. I'm not saying they weren't warranted (in a fairly reffed game) - however, as you said, for the Tigers to get away with identical or worse infringements for almost the first 30 minutes, I'd say our's were soft.

6 penalties in the first 26 minutes to the Tigers. Then they cop 4 in 6 minutes with no warnings. It was a completely one sided affair - just as it was the week before.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Re the Tigpies Benji said it all walking to the shed "we couldn't have been worse" so with that in mind how good were we?
We couldn't have been worse against Parra, but does that take anything away from their win? Just because we were awful doesn't mean they didn't deserve the two points that night.

You don't need to be world beaters every week, you just need to be better than the side you play on the day.

You lift when you play a good team, but against a bad team you run the risk of complacency - and having them drag you down to your level and beat you with experience.

True_Believer

Juniors
We couldn't have been worse against Parra, but does that take anything away from their win? Just because we were awful doesn't mean they didn't deserve the two points that night.

You don't need to be world beaters every week, you just need to be better than the side you play on the day.

You lift when you play a good team, but against a bad team you run the risk of complacency - and having them drag you down to your level and beat you with experience.

Come on Muzby!!! You know this isn't the case!!! We should be perfect week in week out!!!

True_Believer

Juniors

Actually, I watched the first half again last night and can honestly say that I felt 3 of the penalties weren't warranted. I mean seriously, that second Mann penalty? I don't think the players could have gotten off him any quicker. That was definitely soft. There appears to be some sort of vendetta against us at the moment. Not sure what is driving that.

Old Timer

Coach
Actually, I watched the first half again last night and can honestly say that I felt 3 of the penalties weren't warranted. I mean seriously, that second Mann penalty? I don't think the players could have gotten off him any quicker. That was definitely soft. There appears to be some sort of vendetta against us at the moment. Not sure what is driving that.
I think others explained it well in that, we don't know how to wrestle and really dominate the ruck and therefore we are penalised because of that.
If our players managed to get the player on his back very quickly then it wouldn't be as bad but I think we fail to do that and the attacking players are more on their side trying to get up quickly and we fail to get off with the flurry of legs and arms drawing the penalty.

True_Believer

Juniors
I think others explained it well in that, we don't know how to wrestle and really dominate the ruck and therefore we are penalised because of that.
If our players managed to get the player on his back very quickly then it wouldn't be as bad but I think we fail to do that and the attacking players are more on their side trying to get up quickly and we fail to get off with the flurry of legs and arms drawing the penalty.

Yeah I had written up a big spiel about this in another thread. And the more I look through the last 2-3 months, it gets more and more obvious that we aren't dominating in that area and that is part of the reason for the slide.

However, that Mann one defies belief. The Tigers player got tackled and we rolled off almost immediately - but Mann gets penalised. He's actually already up and running back to marker when the ref blows the whistle. I can't see anything to indicate he did anything wrong.

Gareth67

First Grade
Big things for Luc , great to see him score that try , the way he broke through the defense full of intent and purpose .
He looked like a 1st grade rugby league player no longer an nervous ISP graduate .

Last edited:

Latest posts