What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 - Rabbitohs vs Cowboys: Saturday 27th August 7:35pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Time to switch the focus to our second to last game of the Regular Season. We've said that every game from now on is bigger than the last and that certainly rings true this week as we take on the second placed Cowboys in a huge game at home. It is an absolute blockbuster! There's a lot riding on the game for both teams as we're both trying to secure a home final but it's important for us in particular as we are yet to be 100% safe in the 8. This is a must win this week, we really don't want to go into Round 25 absolutely needing to win. Must win on Saturday night.

That is no doubt going to be easier said than done against North Queensland. Who would have picked it at the start of the year but their resurgence has been absolutely insane. Tipped to collect the spoon, they're at the opposite end of the ladder and find themselves currently sitting in second place. I think they're there for a reason and they deserve it. Make no mistake, the Cowboys are the real deal this year, a genuine Premiership contender. That's why this game is going to be really tough for us and we're really up against it. Huge challenge that will once again, really show us where we're at. North Queensland just have so many guys in form all across the park and you could almost rattle off their whole team as guys we need to watch out for. However, I think Drinkwater, their halves, Nanai, and Taumalolo in particular are the ones we need to be really wary of. This game will once again be won in the middle. We lost that battle against Penrith last week so will be needing to stand up this week.

For us, as I said earlier, it's about stepping up those levels. We may have lost last week but it's the kind of loss that hopefully gives us a bit of confidence because we really did step up that level and almost got the result. But I also think the loss should see us come out really fired up to bounce back and right the wrongs of last week. We need to. With a spot in the 8 on the line, a home final on the line, we really need to get a result here. I'm sure the boys will know that. They'll know what needs to be better this week if we're to have any chance of beating the Cowboys. For me, the biggest thing is cutting the stupid stuff out of our game. That's what cost us last week it's as simple as that. If we want to beat North Queensland, you just can't afford to do that stuff, so we need to cut it out. Hold the ball, complete your sets, take our opportunities, execute and there needs to be 100% focus in defence, don't miss your assignment. We didn't do some of this against the Panthers and that's what cost us so we can't afford to make the same mistakes in an arguably bigger game, probably our biggest of the Season.

I can't wait but at the same time, I'm already very nervous and its only Monday!! This is the week we find out what our team is really made of. Will we stand up in the face of adversity and get the job done? Or will we fold under the pressure? Those 17 men out there in the mighty Red and Green will decide. Do us proud.

callmack1

Staff member
Tom Dearden ruptured his testicle last week (ouch), so will miss the game for them.

Certainly a big loss for the Cowboys.

Steenson123

Juniors
A MUST WIN encounter.
Cannot afford two consecutive home defeats at this stage of proceedings.
Let's hope the squad plays with greater urgency and intensity.
We should have put 30+ on Penrith but far too many errors and a big missed pick 6 which quite frankly turned the momentum to "Go Riff with a 14 point turnaround.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 24 against the Cowboys,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Nicholls
11. Koloamatangi
12. Arrow
13. Murray (C)

14. Cartwright
15. Havili
16. Burgess
17. Sele

Explains itself really, pretty much unchanged apart from a few predicted inclusions. Sadly, I just can't see JD picking Jaxson after what happened. We can't carry him low on confidence into a must-win game. Hopefully Thompson is good to go, and he'll come in.

I'd like to see Nicho start, I feel that's where he's best suited and it gives us HUGE impact off the bench with Sele there. Speaking of the bench, Tom will be back, and I think Cartwright is fit too. If he is, he should get the 14 in my opinion.

Going to be a very interesting and exciting team list Tuesday tomorrow!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well going off footage from Rabbitohs TV at training looks like all of Tom, Jed, Thompson and Nikorima should be available to select if JD wants too.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Line Up For Round 24 Against Cowboys: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/08/23/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-24-against-cowboys/

Yoohooo what a Team List Tuesday!! That has be to be the best side we've named all year and I am very happy with it! As close to full strength as you can get for a 22-man squad aside from Hosty which is so pleasing. Let's hope we can keep it that way.

Good to see Thompson come in for Paulo, I just don't think JD could possibly pick Jax after what happened last week sadly. Hopefully Izaac can come in and sure up that right edge even more.

The rest of the side is basically unchanged aside from Sele starting and the returns of Nikorima and Burgess on the bench. Two big ins! I'm surprised Cartwright wasn't selected but he's in the squad, so is fit, and he could find himself in there in a late change.

Just super stoked with that team! Very strong! Is it Saturday night yet??

callmack1

Staff member
Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
My Match Preview this week I puts lots of effort into it and you get it a few days early this week in the lead up to this blockbuster here it is............

Well here we are round 24 is nearly upon us we are getting down to the pointy end. What a massive game for us at home this will be against the Cowboys for us we are trying to guarantee a spot in the 8 so it is a must win for us to build some momentum back after that narrow loss last week. And for the Cowboys they’re flying high up in 2nd place and they’ll be desperate to win to try lock down that 2nd spot so they get a home final in week 1 of finals. For us though being our last home game and a Saturday Night we need a good home crowd so cmon Bunnies members and fans if you’re ummimg and aaahhiiinngg about going just get out there and urge the boys home it lifts the boys when we get a strong turn out at home we all need to play our part. I will be there with Dad and coming home with voice running on empty.

Looking at team news for us we get Thompson back who comes in for Paulo, Tom Burgess comes back in as well a massive in for us boy have we missed him of late. We see Sele starting again and DSF dropping out. Nikorima also comes in back from that groin injury into that 14 jersey. Looking at the Cowboys they are without Dearden which sees Drinkwater go to halfback and Hammer goes to FB. I think Tom Gilbert was out last week so they welcome him back as well.

Looking ahead to the battle the Cowboys are 2nd for a reason they have strike all over the park in Holmes, Drinky, Townsend, Hammer in space is lightning but their pack has been enormous this year Robson, Cotter has been an utter standout a machine, Nanai in his rookie year he’s been brilliant a standout gonna be a star of our game, they have Taumalolo, McLean, Gilbert and they’ve also good Luciano Leilua now who is a massive threat on the edge. So for us we need to match them in the middle we need to at least come off even with them in that forward battle if we can’t win the battle. Our pack must start strong and fast which will allow our spine to do their thing. Another key area is the offloads we must stop these otherwise it could really hurt us. Our biggest thing that needs to be on though is our completion rates we can’t afford any silly loose errors we must limit them otherwise the Cowboys will punish us. Same with our discipline we need to be right on the ball with that too. But most of all we have to want it more than them we will have to dig deep and I know the boys can do it! And in attack we must be patient not trying to score off every play we must build pressure kick to corners, get repeat sets and make the Cowboys work tire them out.

Cometh Saturday Night ok not long until the players make their way onto Accor Stadium great to see such a strong turnout tonight so much red and green in the stands as our 7th placed South Sydney Rabbitohs take on the 2nd placed North Queensland Cowboys. A win tonight for your Rabbitohs is crucial as it would guarantee us a spot in the top 8. Let’s make sure we get that South Sydney Chant and plenty of cheering up and going for the full 80mins and lets make sure everyone watching at home knows this is a South Sydney home game!!!

Ok as we look down the tunnel here at Accor Stadium we can see the North Queensland boys starting to make their way down the tunnel.................. Rabbitohs Members and Rabbitohs Supporters please give a warm South Sydney welcome to the North Queensland Cowboys.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.........................

OK RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND RABBITOHS SUPPORTERS ITS TIME TO GET ON YOUR FFEEETTTTTTT....... MAKE PLENTY OF NOISE FOR YOUR BOYS SHOW THE COLOURS CLAP YOUR HANDS STAMP YOUR FEET SCREAM YOUR LUNGS OUT!!!

HERE THEY COME YOUR SOUTH SYDNEY RRAAABBBBBIIIITTTTOOOOHHHHSSSSSSS!!! LETS GO RABBITOHS!!!

My prediction Rabbitohs 26 Cowboys 18 (Souths by 8) we will triumph and lock down a place in this years finals series!!! And when we do let’s all saviour the moment!!!

SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP

P.S. GET EM ONSIDE GERRY HAVE A LOOK BBBBOOOOOOOO THEY ARE ALL IN FRONT OF YOU

SECOND EFFORT GERRY LOOKS THATS CROWDING BBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! PULL YOUR WHISTLE OUT OF YOUR ARSE!!

HIGH TACKLE SUTTON THATS HIGH WHERE IS THE PENALTY

LATE CONTACT ON THE KICKER BBBBOOOOOOOOOOO

WHERE IS OUR SIX AGAIN BBBOOOOOOOOOO

FORWARD PASS TOUCHIE THATS FORWARD HAVE A LOOK