What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 v Storm

Girds89

Bench
I am in favour of it as well but there are 2 reservations.

1. How will he defend 3 in? It's easy to mostly 'hide' on the wing and to an extent fullback. Not so much defending in the line.

2. He is an instinctive half which is sort of similar to Luai.

To counter my second point - Luai has to an extent learned how to play as the dominant/structured half and we also have Yeo often giving us structure at 1st receiver.

Yeah but he plays very direct which I like.

He's a very good ball player.

He will bring points.. whether he can bring enough to counter the defence is the issue

age.s

First Grade
We missed tito bringing the ball back.

I think ivan needs to tell bizza to pass the ball to edwards when they are targeting him like that so we have him on carry 1.

Tito carry 2. Tago or casey on 3 than Edwards again on 4 coming out of trouble.

Throws a bit of doubt into the defensive line too. Felt like Dyl was quite some distance off his winger as he brought it back. At full strength he's there within passing distance which might allow Bizza that extra half a foot of room he needs to break a tackle and get the set rolling.

So some observations from the ground.

Melbourne played the perfect anti-Pantherball game. They nullified it completely.

*Our back 3 were unusually impotent - most surprising was the way Storm handled To'o with ease.

*This led to our forwards being more tired and when our forwards tried - they were all bashed (except for Yeo).

* Storm targeted our short wingers/average high fullback very well. It is a clear weakness that somehow most teams fail to exploit - but the Storm did.

*Edwards was clearly hampered. He didn't have anywhere near the speed or power off of his legs. He really should not have played.

*The only reason we even got close to winning is Yeo. He was in everything good we did.

*Mitch Kenny is starting to become a bit of a penalty machine.

*Lindsay Smith had a very good all-round game but it is bad plays like getting stripped that turn games and lost us this one.

*Luai has basically been in passenger mode for the last 3 weeks. He better pull the finger out again.

*Nathan was unusually poor for most of the game before the injury. Some of his passing was really off. He knew it as he was remonstrating himself on the field.

*Trent tried too hard and didn't really have a good game.

*Casey is going to be hard to dislodge. Does nothing wrong and is a real danger in and around the ball.

*Again the Bench was weird

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head.
Agree with all of this except your point on Luai. I think he has been good to very good the last few weeks. That kick for the Tago try was *chef’s kiss*.

Michael Matral

Juniors
So some observations from the ground.

Melbourne played the perfect anti-Pantherball game. They nullified it completely.

*Our back 3 were unusually impotent - most surprising was the way Storm handled To'o with ease.

*This led to our forwards being more tired and when our forwards tried - they were all bashed (except for Yeo).

* Storm targeted our short wingers/average high fullback very well. It is a clear weakness that somehow most teams fail to exploit - but the Storm did.

*Edwards was clearly hampered. He didn't have anywhere near the speed or power off of his legs. He really should not have played.

*The only reason we even got close to winning is Yeo. He was in everything good we did.

*Mitch Kenny is starting to become a bit of a penalty machine.

*Lindsay Smith had a very good all-round game but it is bad plays like getting stripped that turn games and lost us this one.

*Luai has basically been in passenger mode for the last 3 weeks. He better pull the finger out again.

*Nathan was unusually poor for most of the game before the injury. Some of his passing was really off. He knew it as he was remonstrating himself on the field.

*Trent tried too hard and didn't really have a good game.

*Casey is going to be hard to dislodge. Does nothing wrong and is a real danger in and around the ball.

*Again the Bench was weird

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head.
Pretty accurate summary..I'll give Laui a pass mark as he's had some great moments

Luke Bowden

First Grade
It’s consistently been given a penalty the last two years. Was just dumb play. Really dumb play.
No it hasn’t.

late hits on the play makers have, but that wasn’t late. There have been far worst let go.

Klein knows it was a mistake, he tried to tell fish that he had time to make “reduce” the impact…. That’s not a thing, it’s either late or it’s not. The impact only affects the penalty.

hindy111

Post Whore
Has Mav “Showed” enough yet? Or are people still not convinced he can play footy?

He has a very nice pass. Know when to draw and pass far better then Martin or Sorenson I'd say. Just doesn't have the power game .
I think he showed a little last night. Prior I wasn't keen on him other then a back up

Sime_11

Juniors
coming to plan IMO - we needed a loss before the finals - let it hurt, we need a good hard look at ourselves.

Nathan will be put on ice and used sparingly before the finals - id be shocked if he's gone for the year, perhaps we see a Keary/Cronk scenario for our halves.

we showed glimpses of good Pantherball last night and Melbourne didnt have much of a response - im confident of beating them if we meet them in the finals.

our discipline is poor and will be addressed, i cant help but feel we are cruising abit waiting for finals, we'll be a different team come finals - we havent scene the best from this team this year yet, and when we do (hopefully on GF day) - its going to be glorious

bring on Canberra away next week :)

soc123_au

Staff member
Has Mav “Showed” enough yet? Or are people still not convinced he can play footy?
Yeah, I think you will be proven right on this one. He is building nicely, he certainly isn't a clone of his Dad, which I think is what most people were hoping for.