What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 vs. Newcastle Knights Discussion + Voting

Snappy

Coach
Yeh I guess they did. It seem that most wingers trys these days are powering over from a few metres out rather then blistering pace down the sideline. So hard to stop those big guys from busting over.
Every time tonight it was one on one the broncos wingers never looked like stopping them.

renouf

Juniors
Anyone else think we just don't look strong (physically) enough to compete with the bigger teams?

Don't think a loss has hurt that much in a long time...

This is why I've said we need Sims or Setu on the bench, Sims might be useless at times, but hes a big lump who can still make yards against bigger forward packs.

We've got no hope with McGuire and Dodds, and unfortunately I don't think Henjak is going to wakeup before our season is finished.

Dingus

Juniors
to sum up from nrl.com

"as the Knights produced their best display of the season in front of a crowd of 16,668."

the balls and offloads the knights were throwing, to only concede 7 errors is a minor mirracle

kudos to them.

Plus 7 3 penalty count didn't help plus the quality vid ref decision to start.

not much the broncos could do with lack of possesion

they look gone, but as history shows, teams tend to bounce back after embarassing losses and last time we lost to knights there was 5 in a row.

i'm tipping back to back wins in the grind them out fashion

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
That'll be the final straw I think. Locky will run on against the Warriors. We can't risk another loss. we were lucky not to slip out of the 8 on percentages.

3. Corey Parker
2. Sam Thaiday (despite consistent handling errors)
1. Andrew Mcullough (really surprised me tonight)

hattori hanzo

Juniors
Things are looking pretty shaky now. :( I can't believe some of those trys by the knights, 2 kicks and 1000 sets of hands in one play. Broncos really should have shut 2 of those trys down in the first half and the story may have been different. I Think Maguire has LOD/ Morley disease any tackle above the waist gets pulled up and if he doesn't let go as soon as they touch the ground pulled up again. Hard done by IMO. I gotta say I love Maguire and Dodds aggression in defence.

3. McCullough - finally stood up which was pleasingprobably should have played the 80 we looked out of sorts when he went off. How many times did they fall for the dummy:lol:

2. Tronc - Solid, goodmeters, great offloads

1. Hoffman - solid game great support play

Broncos fan!

Juniors
This is why I've said we need Sims or Setu on the bench, Sims might be useless at times, but hes a big lump who can still make yards against bigger forward packs.

We've got no hope with McGuire and Dodds, and unfortunately I don't think Henjak is going to wakeup before our season is finished.

McGuire must stay on the bench. His and Anderson's work off the bench is fantastic most of the time.

Plus we don't need Setu, he would just make our defence even worse. Plus he is gone for the rest of the season injured anyway I'm pretty sure.

Broncs4ever

Juniors
Another ref that needs the sack - some of those calls were disgusting and blatent, I would go so far as to say biased. I've lost count of the number of games I have watched this year when ref calls seem to favor one side over the other. Last nights bad ref calls lead to the knights lift and our loss in confidence and ultimately the game. The way we started we had that game won.. Great game Macca.

jaycee_17th

Juniors
I'm not ready to give up on them yet, the refs has given the knights too much leeway/confidence thats why they were able to play that sort of game while they were being critical of the Broncs esp of McGuire. Refs were ruthless. They never hesitated blowing their whistle even on the 5th. It has taken its toll on the boys obviously. And the penalty against gidley when should've been a penalty try or atleast a sin bin. He wouldn't have scored that next try. A huge turn around that was imo

3. Andrew McCullough
2. Gillett
1. Hoffman

Perth Knights

Juniors
Nah, we've felt it long before here. The refs couldn't even count to 6 last week.

But yeah, these decisions seem to come and go with every side. Things should bounce back...I hope.

Some of the calls against the Bronco's last night were harsh, but none more so than the disallowed try early in the first half. If Gidley didn't run into the player (can't recall who it was) then I am sure the Bronco's would have scored the first try. To only award a penalty, with no sin binning of Gidley was confusing.

Anyway, we copped rough calls last week against the Warriors, particularly in forward pass rulings. So what comes around goes around as they say. Notwithstanding the 50/50 calls, you guys really did not play well enough to win last night. Good luck next week with the Warriors!!

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
Guys Peter Wallace has been pretty ordinary without Locky, he should be stepping up more, his kicking game last night was rubbish, what do you guys think.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Guys Peter Wallace has been pretty ordinary without Locky, he should be stepping up more, his kicking game last night was rubbish, what do you guys think.

Agreed, he has been really disappointing. He just hasn't been the same since breaking his ankle last year.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Agree, but unfortunately we don't have any other option tbh. Didn't help that Norman had a shocker.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Corey Norman simply isn't quite there yet and should not remain in the top 17. Defensively he is terrible and he needs to go away and work on his strength and positional play before he can play in role in the most pivotal part of our season. Playing TEO in the front row is ridiculous, we lack size and opposition are rolling through our middle far to easily. As for Wallace, well Pete is a damn good player but his kicking game at times is disgraceful. We took the pressure of the Knights when they were faultering through directionless kicking and a simple lack of aggression in defence.

The most disappointing facet of the Broncos play is once again, as has been far too often in his time in Brisbane, Code Hoppers habit of going missing far too often. Apart from dummy half runs out of our own 20, I.F simply does not involve himself enough for someone of his stature in the game. The guys impact on a game can be massive, but he is simply far too lazy for me. Walking in the goal square for GWS will suit you far more !

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I think a lot of people are forgetting Norman is only 18. Next year I hope Henjak moves him up to QLD Cup. He is definitely ready for it IMO and I think it would do him wonders in getting him ready for the #6 in one or two years when Locky retires.

Latest posts