What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 v Storm @ AAMI Park

roofromoz

First Grade
Never won at AAMI Park. Haven't won in Melbourne since 2005. Only beaten them once in the last 18 meetings.

... so Melbourne by how much?

unKwn

Juniors
we should just go all out on this game and try everything. who gives a f**k about winning let's just try new things. were not gonna win regardless

TheFrog

Coach
Means that deadshit Hetherington should play
An absolute certainty. Only question is who he replaces. I'd also have RCG on the bench and start with the old fellows, Merrin and Tamou.

This Ciraldo is rumoured to have some ability as a coach. Time to show it. This team needs some discipline, especially early on. They were only too happy to give penalties away in NZ and the ref was more than happy to oblige. 8-0 before we even get our hands on the pill. This cannot happen again. Storm are slow starters. We've got to come out ready to play.

age.s

First Grade
If we looked halfway decent at any point in the last month I'd be confident. Storm are a long way off their best and have little to play for in theory. Were very lucky vs the Tits yesterday.

Unfortunately "a long way off our best" would be a very generous description of us at the moment.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Well, we have been abject against teams we were expected to account for comfortably (Manly, Canberra, GC, Newcastle) so maybe we will be brilliant against a team that should walk all over us, even with their injuries.

rem286

Juniors
Hit Billy hard early, try to stop Smith kicking from dummy half, assign an enforcer to tag Munster. Everything else will follow.

I would have Tamou and RCG start with Merrin in the back row. Let Kikau come on when they are tired and he is fresh, it is the most effective way to use him.

Hopefully we play a more settled game in the opening quarter and leave the razzle dazzle until we get into a groove. Throwing it around early in the tackle count, early in the game has seen a lot of early unforced errors or lack of metres gained, putting our defence under more pressure than it can obviously handle. Our defence has been under pressure very early in every game lately and I believe it has significantly increased the defensive errors, which in turn increases the frustration and then they think they have no option but to push the silly passes and plays that more often than not fail.

Back to simple footy boys.

I'm really looking forward to this game because my expectations are so low. We really shouldn't be winning but to be honest I have a feeling we could really get up for this with Maloney back. As others have said, if we just throw it around like we have nothing to lose, who the hell knows.

tripster

Juniors
Problem for us is that in most of our games we have given away leads. Storm’s defence is so good that we won’t get the opportunity to come back against them. If they gain a lead against us Smith will then just strangle us out of the game.

The other problem for us is that they are masters of slowing down the play the ball, and if Smith senses us getting on a roll in a set will deliberately hold down and give away a penalty rather than risk a set that might get out of the Storm’s control.

I think the best way to beat the Storm is to offload a lot and be unpredictable. Their defensive structure then quickly falls apart and they aren’t anywhere near as good if they have to continually scramble in defence. I think that is why the Warriors have a good record (comparatively) against them. It is of course high risk, because you hand over the ball if you get it wrong. Problem for us is that we aren’t playing well enough to throw the ball around to the extent that is probably required.

Dragons and Souths also showed this season that the Storm can be beaten with a forward dominated power game. However that also depends on a very high completion rate, and earning a lot of repeat sets to dominate possession and wear the Storm out. We aren’t good at completing high or earning repeat sets.

I’d love to get a win over them and ensure a home final. I also hate the Storm so so much. But unfortunately I just don’t see it happening. I think we will be waiting until Smith retires before our record against them improves.

Last edited:
Problem for us is that in most of our games we have given away leads. Storm’s defence is so good that we won’t get the opportunity to come back against them. If they gain a lead against us Smith will then just strangle us out of the game.

The other problem for us is that they are masters of slowing down the play the ball, and if Smith senses us getting on a roll in a set will deliberately hold down and give away a penalty rather than risk a set that might get out of the Storm’s control.

I think the best way to beat the Storm is to offload a lot and be unpredictable. Their defensive structure then quickly falls apart and they aren’t anywhere near as good if they have to continually scramble in defence. I think that is why the Warriors have a good record (comparatively) against them. It is of course high risk, because you hand over the ball if you get to wrong. Problem for us is that we aren’t playing well enough to through the ball around to the extent that is probably required.

Dragons and Souths also showed this season that the Storm can be beaten with a forward dominated power game. However that also depends on a very high completion rate, and earning a lot of repeat sets to dominate possession and wear the Storm out. We aren’t good at completing high or earning repeat sets.

I’d love to get a win over them and ensure a home final. I also hate the Storm so so much. But unfortunately I just don’t see it happening. I think we will be waiting until Smith retires before our record against them improves.

Agree we need to start fast and throw everything at them. We started to look most dangerous last week against NZ when we started offloaded and throwing it around. It also coincided with Mez ripping in.

Panfa

Juniors
The only way to beat storm is to move the ball around and rip in defence with aggresion our forwards need to play like they did at the start of the yr.I want to win this one and injure as many grubs along the way i wanna ruin melbournes season on friday night

kinghippo

Juniors
RCG has to start from the bench IMO. He looks twice the player off the bench, gives us some real punch & seems to play longer minutes.

Needs to earn his $$$ this week.
Kikau should as well, he is wasted tackling for the first 20, especially when we rarely see any ball.

franklin2323

Immortal
Never won at AAMI Park. Haven't won in Melbourne since 2005. Only beaten them once in the last 18 meetings.

... so Melbourne by how much?

Usually the games we have no chance in on paper we go well in... Hope they rest Munster and Smith