What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 v Storm @ AAMI Park

Kev07

Juniors
Last one, is May the answer at hookerfir now? Katoa was better then he has been lately but still isn’t quite getting it right. May is solid, can pass, tackle and run and usually reads the fake well.
Katoa seems to gas pretty quickly & then his mistakes seem to creep in from fatigue. May has been doing the job well especially defensively when opposition forwards come into the game for their second stint. Has ability to tackle the big forwards one on one also,especially coming back from an ACL injury and no pre season.
Will be better and fitter with pre season next year,he is class.

Fangs

Coach
Maybe I just didn't see it, or maybe it was because he was playing reduced minutes. But Katoa didn't appear to display this level of ineptitude earlier in the season. I still think he has something to offer but he isn't screaming to be picked this weekend.

Interesting to note that prominent figures like Alexander had Egan ahead of Katoa in the pre-season.

martielang

Bench
I've been a big fan of Katoa for a while so I probably am being biased but I dare say if Egan had set up the short side try like Katoa did against the Storm, everyone would of been raving about his performance & his one error would of been lost in the shuffle. He had a couple of poor games & was rightly dropped but he also seems to have a bit of a target on his back for whatever reason.

Maybe i'm just reading more into it then what's there.

franklin2323

Immortal
Maybe I just didn't see it, or maybe it was because he was playing reduced minutes. But Katoa didn't appear to display this level of ineptitude earlier in the season. I still think he has something to offer but he isn't screaming to be picked this weekend.

Interesting to note that prominent figures like Alexander had Egan ahead of Katoa in the pre-season.

I noticed May on early but the joys of having 40% possession is hookers have less chance to stuff up

Fangs

Coach
I noticed May on early but the joys of having 40% possession is hookers have less chance to stuff up

Good point.

He appears to just try too hard. We all cried out for another hooker other than Wallace with more speed, a kicking game, some creativity etc.

I think Ciraldo/Gus are pushing for that and it just isn't working. He is capable of plenty but for now needs to keep things simple. We can't reinvent the wheel at this stage of the season.

Off-season 2018 Katoa and Egan will get to train as the number one hooker at the club.

betcats

Referee
I've been a big fan of Katoa for a while so I probably am being biased but I dare say if Egan had set up the short side try like Katoa did against the Storm, everyone would of been raving about his performance & his one error would of been lost in the shuffle. He had a couple of poor games & was rightly dropped but he also seems to have a bit of a target on his back for whatever reason.

Maybe i'm just reading more into it then what's there.

Ive talked Katoa up as a better option then Egan this year every time it has come up. As the one who started this Katoa/May hooking chat in this thread I don't really know what the problem is. His mistakes come from trying to be to fancy, it works for him sometimes and other times it f**ks us.

Theres nothing wrong with suggesting May might be a better option for given the teams form and what we need.

Like I said Katoa had two runs for 5m, if you aren't running out of dummy half your service better be perfect.

martielang

Bench
Ive talked Katoa up as a better option then Egan this year every time it has come up. As the one who started this Katoa/May hooking chat in this thread I don't really know what the problem is. His mistakes come from trying to be to fancy, it works for him sometimes and other times it f**ks us.

Theres nothing wrong with suggesting May might be a better option for given the teams form and what we need.

Like I said Katoa had two runs for 5m, if you aren't running out of dummy half your service better be perfect.

Was talking in general terms, not specifically at you.

mxlegend99

Referee
Very interesting points made by Gus here
I dont like it.

Seems the more we reach out to refs the harder they f**k us. That first half against Storm was the worst I can recall in recent history for us.

If it had kept going in the second half we couldn't have won that game. It's damn near impossible to ein a game if the referees have it in for you. Its too easy to blow a few pedantic penalties late in the tackle count, give a warning and bin someone.

Then to give the illusion of a fair game give a few quick square up penalties to the opposition on zero and first tackle for next to no benefit.

Fangs

Coach
Classic move really. Just trying to flex some muscle going into the finals. Dropping some numbers.

Regardless of his performance on 100% I think the refs will quiet down this weekend. Which I believe works heavily in our favour as the most penalised and most sin binned team in the competition.