What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 vs Broncos - Gameday

oldmancraigy

Coach
Nathan Brown ran more than 200m again. Is there a legitimate reason why he will not play origin in 2018 ?

Jake Trbojevic?Surely he has the inside running on the 13 jersey.
No reason Brown couldn't be a middle guy off the bench I suppose, but I feel like his impact is greater over a full game than in a shorter stint.
Ah heck with that, put 'em both in!!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I thought Pritchard was pretty good, his runs were pretty good. Making around 10 metres a run.

And Mannah was great. Has the best stats after Brown last night for our forwards. His work rate was as good as Alvaro.

Vave is a worry defensively. I wouldn't go with him in our top 17.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I suspect BA may drop King for Pritchard.

Also last night, pretty sure Brown finished the game at dummy half, surely King had the capacity to finish the game ?

Gronk

Staff member
I suspect BA may drop King for Pritchard.

Also last night, pretty sure Brown finished the game at dummy half, surely King had the capacity to finish the game ?

Unless he's going to change to a hooker rotation, then how could he ? Has Kaysa played 80m much before ? How solid is that knee anyway ?

TBH King as his best and Kaysa at his, I think I like King.

eel01s

Bench
What an amazing game. That first 20 minutes was incredible. Edwards really put it to the Broncos and they just couldn't keep up.

Semi was untouchable and looked a million dollars. Sure we leaked a few soft tries but the game was never in doubt.

Only downer was listening to Kevvie Walters dribbling about the Broncos comeback.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Moses was the reason for the KE ball being so successful. It was a great play and ball from Edwards but Moses running behind him like he has been doing since being with us was the selling point of that play.

Now when they study tape of us they will have to plan for both........if they can.

It was a great tactic, something i think we haven't seen a lot of from our coaching staff at that level.
We run that play every week. It's just that few opposition centres are so dumb that they ignore the short runner. It's the winger's job to jam the sweeping half. The centre needs to cover the 'decoy'. If he doesn't, that happens.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Unless he's going to change to a hooker rotation, then how could he ? Has Kaysa played 80m much before ? How solid is that knee anyway ?

TBH King as his best and Kaysa at his, I think I like King.

Pritchard has pretty much been the sole hooker in our top 17 apart from a couple of weeks when smith was on the bench. Also King didn't finish the game last night, brown played some dummy half I think.

I doubt BA will risk Pritchard if he is 100%!!

I just reckon BA prefers what Pritchard brings (aggressive defence / Work rate) over what King brings.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nathan Brown ran more than 200m again. Is there a legitimate reason why he will not play origin in 2018 ?
Because his impact comes through high involvement rather than tackle breaks or metres per carry. Given Origin teams are full of stars there is less need of high involvement players. The challenge is getting every merkin enough minutes and enough ball.

I'm not saying Brown isn't a star, but his particular strength (long minutes and frequent runs) isn't so valuable at Origin level.

He wouldn't be out of place in Origin though. If we're winning at Origin time he will probably get picked but he shouldn't be an automatic selection like Fifita and Klemmer.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I have a suspicion Peni was injured Poo. BA loves Peni. Theres no way he would have been omitted if healthy. Frank was poor again. Agree with Gower. His best performance of the season.
Best forward pack though, imo, would have Frank, Gower and Vave out replaed by Scott, Mau and Peni. Sorry. No room for Kaysa but enormous comfort having him available just in case. Am loving Kings work.
I thought Fritchard was good. Great go forward, and his defence was solid until the head knock.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Pritchard has pretty much been the sole hooker in our top 17 apart from a couple of weeks when smith was on the bench. Also King didn't finish the game last night, brown played some dummy half I think.

I doubt BA will risk Pritchard if he is 100%!!

I just reckon BA prefers what Pritchard brings (aggressive defence / Work rate) over what King brings.

When did King come off?
I confess I may have missed it due to being euphoric, but I thought he played all 80?

Kaysa is made of glass. Played 80 minutes just 3 times in 15 games. There may be any number of reasons as to why he didn't play the full 80 in 80% of his games, but surely it is risky picking just one hooker when he is a 2 in 10 chance of finishing the game??

King has been much better for mine, better service from dummy half, less volatile in defence. He has also played the full 80m 5 games straight. Kaysa is yet to manage the full 80 five times in his life.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Moses was the reason for the KE ball being so successful. It was a great play and ball from Edwards but Moses running behind him like he has been doing since being with us was the selling point of that play.

Now when they study tape of us they will have to plan for both........if they can.

It was a great tactic, something i think we haven't seen a lot of from our coaching staff at that level.

We've used that play since 2015, just on the LHS rather than the right.

Eelpout

Juniors
King's a good dummy half but his effort under fatigue is pretty poor. Kritchard would be a welcome addition to our bench.

He is class with the ball, though last night was the first time out of his eight games that his defence was noticeably questionable. I'd be giving Kaysa around 30 minutes; maybe bringing him on around the 25th minute mark if everything was to go to plan.

Latest posts