What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 v Warriors

John Tanious

Juniors
Lawrie offers Block zero

Expected some flair today due to new rules but was prepared for the old same boring dragons footy under McNo-idea

In summary I got what I expected and will probably cancel my Kayo account after cancelling my fox sports subscription. I'm not spending a cent more on boring Dragons footy as all the top footy played is free to air on 9 with proper coached teams
I was told he was one of the best trainers during the off season, and he was looking good for a regular starting position. Staff have a high opinion of Lawrie

I think we are in a hole, where we are harvesting the accumulation of bad efforts all round the park. Today even on the rare occasion that a forward dominated in a run, they got up to play slowly. I think a perfect example was the Dufty dropped ball for the first try ... check how long the Warriors had to kick that ball, no pressure art all. The whole team is lacking energy and punch unfortunately.

mickeylane

Bench
Was Norman playing today?
Unfortunately our halves are the biggest problems - I look at the combination of Brown and Moses at The Eels and it’s daylight between our pairing and there’s.. so much indecision- so much lack of initiative.. like it’s really amateur hr.. and I really like both players but they are terrible.. I think Clune and to a degree Sailor would be afresh pairing . I still feel hunt at 9 and Mciness to lock would be the moves to make this team click into some sort of gear..

Old Timer

Coach
My real take aways from today are around the following bubbles that have burst if people are fair dinkum
  • Flanno & Shep have any tangible input.
  • Sims Bros Inc.
  • Dusty is the answer at 1 or winning the scrimmage at training as career coach put it.
  • Williame is anything more than a Superleague hac
  • Lawrie is a 1st grade prop that makes a difference.
  • Graham has any more games in him.
  • Our halves are ever going to combine.
  • Our halves would be sought after by any other team
  • That our wingers are actually a real big problem compared to other issues because without them today it would have been even uglier.
  • We practise kicking at training.
Need to add a few more bubbles that burst
  • We have a dominant forward pack.
  • Our off season purchases were good.
  • The players like Robson, Leilua, Garrick that left our club were not going to make it.
  • Mc Fookknuckle is a good bloke.
  • Our fitness department have any idea how to prepare a team for Rd 1 of a season or a restarted season.
  • The Yoga guy is necessary.
  • That the club will do anything to remove career coach as he said it all in the presser "I'm 3 games into a 2 year contract"
  • That Mc Fookknuckle is capable of telling the truth or even remembering what he has said he will do.

rasaint

Juniors
We are all feeling down and out of sorts.

Couple of points in general:

Blake Lawrie is courageous but never has been an effective NRL standard prop. No horse power. Yet signed long term.
Jackson Ford don’t get your hopes up with him. Limited capacity at NRL level.
James Graham has reduced to almost no impact. Living off decade back reputation. Trudging around looking angry. Once a Titan of a player.
Zac Lomax very good goal kicker but unremarkable player who doesn’t threaten opposition at all. Signed on big $$$ for a very long time.Good grief.
Cory Norman now simply lacks any zip. We paid way overs for a chap whose best years were gone by year 1 on our cap.
We are operating on a $600k loss on cap due to 2nd year of no JDB. The NRL is punishing our club and fans for alleged actions of a chap that still may be judged not guilty in court.
Generally the club can not identify effective players on the up. Don’t know who our scouts are.Look at Canberra. They are identifying top overseas players. Replace good players with very good players ( Leilua goes and Scott joins. ) Rapana back. All fit in cap. Good management.
Coach McGregor has been there too long now.

2020 is a lost cause and our players don’t appear to want to compete.

Dragon David

First Grade
We are all feeling down and out of sorts.

Couple of points in general:

Blake Lawrie is courageous but never has been an effective NRL standard prop. No horse power. Yet signed long term.
Jackson Ford don’t get your hopes up with him. Limited capacity at NRL level.
James Graham has reduced to almost no impact. Living off decade back reputation. Trudging around looking angry. Once a Titan of a player.
Zac Lomax very good goal kicker but unremarkable player who doesn’t threaten opposition at all. Signed on big $$$ for a very long time.Good grief.
Cory Norman now simply lacks any zip. We paid way overs for a chap whose best years were gone by year 1 on our cap.
We are operating on a $600k loss on cap due to 2nd year of no JDB. The NRL is punishing our club and fans for alleged actions of a chap that still may be judged not guilty in court.
Generally the club can not identify effective players on the up. Don’t know who our scouts are.Look at Canberra. They are identifying top overseas players. Replace good players with very good players ( Leilua goes and Scott joins. ) Rapana back. All fit in cap. Good management.
Coach McGregor has been there too long now.

2020 is a lost cause and our players don’t appear to want to compete.

Well said rasaint. In general then, we do not have the players to compete and several of them on long term deals and on high salaries. They are just a bunch of park footballers going through the motions for a coach who is not liked.

Yes and the big thing that you mentioned rasaint is the long term signing of Lomax who I think is the best goal kicker we have but only so so as a player in the squad. This is a real worry and although we have some youngsters coming up, there is no guarantee that they will be any good in first grade when we all thought that Dufty, Field, Lomax etc had the goods.

A complete review of the players is needed.

We are run by bad administrators who have little concern for the results we have had in the past and present

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Firstly, well played Warriors and goodwill to you. IMO your participation saved the season. Rugby League has proven once again that it will play on through adversity,

But we are a badly coached side.

Our apparent game plan included running and dying with the ball short of the goal line. It was supposed to counter our shit kicking game, Note to coach, how about you improve the kicking game?

Anyway, that led to playing on the back foot from the outset, Our forwards actually invited the opposition to take control. And our goal line defence came to grief.

Our attacking game plan was obvious after a few minutes. Our players have lost the ability to think for themselves,

No energy.

Worried that we're heading for a wooden spoon. Only chance to avoid this is to piss off McGregor

getsmarty

Immortal
Under-fire Paul McGregor admits Dragons ‘looked like strangers’ in Warriors shutout
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

3d159ed5e76563b49181c24cf91b3ac5

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under pressure with his side 0-3.Source: AAP
Paul McGregor has brushed off conjecture over his own future, but called out his players following a disappointing 18-0 shutout against the Warriors.
The Dragons struggled with their kicking game and failed to pressure a Warriors side that was weakened by a number of injuries to key forwards.

“It (my future) has been raised consistently,” McGregor admitted.

“I’m three games into a two-year contract. I’ve got good staff. I’ve made a lot of changes. I’ve got good people around me.

“I’ve got a football team that I believe in. We’ve just got to go out and play well.”

However McGregor admitted his side were not up to scratch when it came to the effort areas and lacked cohesion at Central Coast Stadium.

“Attitude is a by-product of belief and today at times they looked like strangers out there,” McGregor said.

“We didn’t do anything at speed and a couple of the tries they scored needed to be defended and they weren't. Your defence is all about your attitude.

“We were on the backfoot most of the day.

“There is no secrets here we have to be better.

“Credit to the opposition, but that is no excuse for us. We needed to beat them and we didn’t.”

McGregor said he would wait to review the match, but forecast potential changes given the disappointing display from the team who are now 0-3.

“There is no reserve grade game so how do the players in waiting get an opportunity? And that’s through players not performing on game day,” McGregor said.

“If we feel the right adjustment to the team needs to be done then there will be changes. If we don’t then we won’t. But it will certainly be a discussion point early in the week.”

McGregor admitted his side were out-enthused by the Warriors, who completed an amazing 45 from 47 sets.

“It’s got to come from within,” McGregor said.

“Belief is a by-product of success too and we’ve lost a few games and we are coming off not a great year, so we’ve got to find that.

“Passion is getting the players excited. It is being ready for the contest. It is about being in the moment and going after it, so that comes down to the individual.

“It is a 20 week competition and each week eats away pretty quickly.

“It is about performing now and certainly not thinking you can catch it up later because it is not there and today wasn’t good enough.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...3/news-story/a9658435f7d3d609d4c3a3e8ed513f73

Under-fire Paul McGregor admits Dragons ‘looked like strangers’ in Warriors shutout
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

Paul McGregor has brushed off conjecture over his own future, but called out his players following a disappointing 18-0 shutout against the Warriors.
The Dragons struggled with their kicking game and failed to pressure a Warriors side that was weakened by a number of injuries to key forwards.

“I’m three games into a two-year contract. I’ve got good staff. I’ve made a lot of changes. I’ve got good people around me.

“I’ve got a football team that I believe in. We’ve just got to go out and play well.”

However McGregor admitted his side were not up to scratch when it came to the effort areas and lacked cohesion at Central Coast Stadium.

“Attitude is a by-product of belief and today at times they looked like strangers out there,” McGregor said.

“We didn’t do anything at speed and a couple of the tries they scored needed to be defended and they weren't. Your defence is all about your attitude.

“Credit to the opposition, but that is no excuse for us. We needed to beat them and we didn’t.”

McGregor said he would wait to review the match, but forecast potential changes given the disappointing display from the team who are now 0-3.

“There is no reserve grade game so how do the players in waiting get an opportunity? And that’s through players not performing on game day,” McGregor said.

“If we feel the right adjustment to the team needs to be done then there will be changes. If we don’t then we won’t. But it will certainly be a discussion point early in the week.”

McGregor admitted his side were out-enthused by the Warriors, who completed an amazing 45 from 47 sets.

“Belief is a by-product of success too and we’ve lost a few games and we are coming off not a great year, so we’ve got to find that.

“Passion is getting the players excited. It is being ready for the contest. It is about being in the moment and going after it, so that comes down to the individual.

“It is about performing now and certainly not thinking you can catch it up later because it is not there and today wasn’t good enough.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...3/news-story/a9658435f7d3d609d4c3a3e8ed513f73

Thanks for posting this.

I’ve watched it a few times now and my impression is that he’s feeling isolated.

There’s no hope in anything he said. Everything was forlorn and negative. There was just no excuse I guess.

Unfortunately our halves are the biggest problems - I look at the combination of Brown and Moses at The Eels and it’s daylight between our pairing and there’s.. so much indecision- so much lack of initiative.. like it’s really amateur hr.. and I really like both players but they are terrible.. I think Clune and to a degree Sailor would be afresh pairing . I still feel hunt at 9 and Mciness to lock would be the moves to make this team click into some sort of gear..
It's no fluke Norman has been playing for teams that are at the bottom of the ladder for years...

NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

Stating the obvious doesn't help our cause McGregor.
You have had plenty of opportunity to build a competitive and cohesive unit and have simply failed.
Admit it and resign.
At least you will depart saving face.
By staying on, you will go down in the club's history as the worse coach we have ever had.

hewi

Bench
From the SMH, You have to be kidding

Assistant Dean Young sat on the sidelines watching the horror show and looms as the likely stop-gap solution if the Dragons' front office did move on McGregor

Latest posts