What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 Vs Broncos

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor frustrated as St George Illawarra Dragons look to replace Jack de Belin
  • Local Sport
    r0_569_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Dragons coach Paul McGregor speaks to the media. Picture: AAP Image

• Paul McGregor admits he is frustrated by the lack of clarity around St George Illawarra's desire to replace suspended forward Jack de Belin.

De Belin has been stood down indefinitely by the NRL under their new "no-fault" stand down policy after he was charged with the aggravated sexual assault of a 19-year-old woman in Wollongong in December. He has pleaded not guilty.

De Belin will not be able to play until April 16 at the earliest, when he will learn if the NRL's new hard-line policy on player behaviour withstands legal scrutiny in the Federal Court.

The Dragons were also without Tyson Frizell in their loss to South Sydney at Kogarah on Thursday night, with the representative forward unavailable for at least another fortnight after suffering a ruptured testicle in the opening round defeat to North Queensland.

St George Illawarra have also been missing Leeson Ah Mau who joined the Warriors in the off-season. His replacement, new signing Korbin Sims, is yet to feature in the red V after serving a two-match suspension.

So with the Dragons essentially down three forwards and with only 29 players on their 30-man roster - including de Belin - St George Illawarra lack depth in their forwards due to their absentees.

Dragons coach McGregor said he was frustrated with the NRL in the club's attempts to replace de Belin and was not sure what the hold up was from the NRL's end. The governing body can offer salary cap relief to clubs who apply should one of their players be stood down under the new 'no-fault' policy.

McGregor indicated the Dragons were yet to identify any suitable players to replace de Belin, with that responsibility falling to the club's director of rugby league pathways Ian Millward.

"That'll be up to Ian to see what's available once we find out what we can do. So first of all we've got to know the situation and have a good understanding of it. And then Ian will go to work," McGregor said.

"I sort of don't get involved. Because obviously I put my time into coaching and Ian manages the salary cap and stuff. We're talking about it so [the media] obviously feel the same.

"We've got a position open in our squad. We've only got 29 [players] including Jack.

"We're down two Origin players and we lost Leeson and replaced him with Korbin. He hasn't played yet either so we're really down three quality forwards... so we can work our way out of it, there's no doubt about that.

"Because we've shown enough in the first two games against two good teams. We just haven't done it for long enough. And that's the most important thing."

McGregor also rejected speculation that the club should cut ties with Gareth Widdop immediately, with the Dragons captain to leave St George Illawarra at the end of the season to play in the UK Super League.

The Dragons face tricky away trips to Brisbane and Newcastle in the next fortnight before they return to Kogarah to host Canterbury.
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...-as-dragons-look-to-replace-de-belin/?cs=1633

Frank Facer

First Grade
Which journeyman are we signing...???????????????
Someone on Zero Tackle said that we may be doing a swap with Canterbury of Rhyse Martin for Robson. I don't like that idea. I want us to keep Robson and I don't want us to sign Martin.

I think we should be looking at signing a good prop, if possible.

Crush

Coach
We generally do pretty well against Broncos and from memory have a decent record playing up there?
Should be a cracker of a game.
We need a win.

kit66

Bench
You're forgetting the effects that a short turnaround and playing in the heat had on both us and the Cows.
There's a lot of nervous energy expended in round 1 by all involved as well and the Broncos as usual were given an advantage in an 8 day turnaround.
Our forwards will be bolstered by K.Sims playing with his brother against his old team. Our starting pack has actually played really well and made great metres, it's only our bench that's let us down and some ridiculous re-shuffling during the match. A bench of Latimore, K Sims, Dufty and I don't know Leilua or Kerr ( or give Timm a run ) might serve us a little better. And don't take off a Prop to bring Dufty on maybe a good idea.
We're not done, most of the team that wooped Bris in the finals are still there. We're still a chance against a big, yes but still a very young and inexperienced pack and a halves combo that's just as likely to fail as they are to fire.

possm

Coach
You're forgetting the effects that a short turnaround and playing in the heat had on both us and the Cows.
There's a lot of nervous energy expended in round 1 by all involved as well and the Broncos as usual were given an advantage in an 8 day turnaround.
Our forwards will be bolstered by K.Sims playing with his brother against his old team. Our starting pack has actually played really well and made great metres, it's only our bench that's let us down and some ridiculous re-shuffling during the match. A bench of Latimore, K Sims, Dufty and I don't know Leilua or Kerr ( or give Timm a run ) might serve us a little better. And don't take off a Prop to bring Dufty on maybe a good idea.
We're not done, most of the team that wooped Bris in the finals are still there. We're still a chance against a big, yes but still a very young and inexperienced pack and a halves combo that's just as likely to fail as they are to fire.

First get the team up for the game. Then select the right 17; no favourites. Then manage a four forward bench properly giving all bench players at least 20min. The team I'd select is:
1. Dufty - on tilt, looking at his defence, confidence under the high ball and metres run.
2. Pereira - did enough last game to earn his place.
3. Lomax - this is his chance to earn the 3 jumper. Will be goal kicker.
4. Lafai - good in the first half, shocking in the second half. Last chance.
5. Pearson - now gets his chance to impress.
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. K Sims - with Lomax and Pearson should plug up the holes on the right.
13. Lawrie - Did a good job last game.

14. Robson - Bite the bullet Mary, I have no doubt this selection will be a winner
15. Graham
16. Timm
17. Host

Widdop to be let go and his and De Belin's salary used to bolster our squad with genuine top grade first graders.

Aitken, Ravalawa and Latimore to Canterbury Cup.