1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Round 3 Vs Broncos

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by getsmarty, Mar 22, 2019.

1. watatank

watatank Coach

ok, all I basically said was that Dufty will be fullback next week, which you have agreed with. so what are we discussing again?

2. Crush

Crush First Grade

Did you receive numerous head knocks during your football days?
    Because that would explain a lot.
    :joy:

3. Blood Shot Eyes

Blood Shot Eyes Bench

Yeah that was a joke.....about as funny as him and Fletcher

4. Lovemedragons

Lovemedragons Juniors

I know that Wayne Bennett or Anthony Siebold would almost certainly not have committed to a major selection decision publicly only 5 minutes after the game, they know better than to limit their options, it's an important call.

5. watatank

watatank Coach

McGregor says a lot of outrageous things but it's not unreasonable to say the backup fullback who played every game last year will replace the fullback we just lost to injury. Everyone knows he will be there so may as well say that with confidence.

6. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

7. possm

possm Coach

Sammy, I have heard that Widdop originally just requested a release. Then there was a meeting with Millward, Mary and the CEO which ended in agreement to serve out the 2019 season. Can you check this out for me?

8. Dragonsamy

Dragonsamy Bench

Possum
    He only ever asked for a release as from the end of this season.
    He wanted to stay and the club wanted him to stay

True_Believer likes this.
  9. possm

possm Coach

No Crush but thanks for your concern. I do have the regulation husband selective hearing though. Much to the many complaints from Mrs Possm.

ALSGI, Gareth67, Crush and 2 others like this.
  10. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

Whatever the case he , Widdop will be a big loss to the team . I just hope that his shoulder is indeed 100% when he finally returns - same goes for Tyson Fizzell - perhaps he could wear one of those protectors that the cricketers use , better safe than sorry .

Dragonsamy and getsmarty like this.
  11. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

[​IMG]

DRAGONS

Sims vows to fix the 'unacceptable' parts of game
    Author
    Joel Gould NRL.com Reporter
    Timestamp
    Sat 30 Mar 2019, 02:01 PM
    [​IMG]
    Dragons forward Korbin Sims ticked the redemption box, and now has his sights set on eradicating the "unacceptable" areas in his game after a triumphant return to Suncorp Stadium against his former club.

The 27-year-old walked out of the stadium on Thursday night after scoring a crucial try in the 25-24 win over the Brisbane Broncos all smiles, contrasting with the disconsolate figure he cut after the 48-18 loss to St George Illawarra in his last game for Brisbane in 2018.

Nothing went right for Sims in that semi-final defeat last September and to add insult to his injured pride he received a two-match suspension on the back of it for a dangerous tackle, so when he sang the team song on Thursday night for the first time with the Dragons it was also a redemption song.

Sims is far from satisfied with that and knows coach Paul McGregor does not want a repeat of the several penalties he gave away.

"[McGregor] gave me a clear focus of what I needed to do in the game and I did it the best that I could, but there are a fair few areas I need to improve on. I don't think I played well or to my own standards but you've got to start somewhere," Sims said after the win.

"I gave away two or three penalties which was unacceptable. There was a dropped ball close to the line and a stray pass here or there that I am not happy about.

Match Highlights: Broncos v Dragons

"I felt like I played a lot better than I did in my last game here at Suncorp. That was a very emotional game for me that last one, obviously being my last one for the Brisbane Broncos, and I didn't play to my potential in that game.

"It is nice to come out, obviously in the opposite side, and play well. It is good for the Dragons supporters to see.

"I spoke to my brother Tariq about spending time on the sideline at the start of the year because he's done it for two years in a row with suspension. I knew I had to bide my time and keep training well. Mary showed me a bit of faith by putting me straight back in the 17 and there are plenty of good things to come."

McGregor was impressed with the energy and impact of Sims and, while not pleased with the penalties, understood why he was wound up.

"It is always the way when you play against your old team. You want to play with passion and you want to make it personal," McGregor said.

"You've just got to handle the emotion side of it. Korbin did some really good things and unfortunately there was a couple of penalties that we need to clean up, but that is collectively with all of us."

So impressed was Dragons prop Paul Vaughan with Sims in his first game for the Red V that he sought him out after the game to tell him he was "a great inclusion".

"I sat down with Korbin after the game and had a beer with him, and I told him that his leg speed and powerful running is really going to help us this season, so I am looking forward to getting a nice combination with Korbin whether he is off the bench or starting," Vaughan told NRL.com.

Match: Broncos v Dragons

Round 3 - Thursday 28th March

Full Time
    [​IMG]
    Home Team

Broncos

Scored 24 points
    [​IMG]
    Away Team

Dragons

Scored 25 points

Venue: Suncorp Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
    • Fox League
    • LIVE PASS
    "He's going to make a great impact for the team with his power and leg speed."

For his part, Sims vowed not to let Vaughan down.

"I am really excited about what this pack can do this year and Paul is going to be the front-runner leading the way," Sims said.

"I want to play on the back of that and get some good go-forward for the side. He starts it, and I will come on and try and keep it going."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/30/sims-vows-to-fix-the-unacceptable-parts-of-game/

Gareth67 likes this.
  12. True_Believer

True_Believer Juniors

Initial discussions weren't around a specific date - just sometime in the future. It was about sussing out where both parties were at. Gareth didn't want to leave immediately but did want to work with the club to set a date that both parties were happy with. The media release escalated the situation and forced a resolution. Had it not come out, I suspect he would have seen his contract out.

As samy has said, neither party wanted the immediate release. Staying for 2019 was a given. Past that was up for discussion.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Dragonsamy, getsmarty and TruSaint like this.
  13. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG First Grade

Writing about Isaako’s failed field goal attempt, did anyone notice Boyd interfere with Host as he scrambled out of dummy half to put pressure on the kicker?

It was a sly, bastard move from Darius and was annoying because nobody picked it up.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  14. Brutalitops

Brutalitops Juniors

Unfortunately that kind of bullshit happens just about every field goal attempt in the NRL

One thing I did notice was, during Norman's kick, McCullough was rushing out of the line and he stopped running suddenly because the ref warned him he was offside and if he gets in the play he will concede a penalty. I have never seen that happen before.

15. slippery5

slippery5 Juniors

Tyson's dad was unstoppable & daylight ahead of anyone his age as a junior, occasionally played up in school & club footy, I recall he used to wear this "ball" protective underwear. Maybe he should check if his dad still has them in his draw somewhere !!!!!

Gareth67 and denis preston like this.
  16. Warabrook saint

Warabrook saint Juniors

Lookin after their interests.....it didn't help'em

Gareth67 and Dragonsamy like this.
  17. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

18. redandwhite4evr

redandwhite4evr Juniors

Credit where it's due- Mary must have had the forwards chained up in small cages during the week and fed on raw meat. Even mild mannered Host looked angry and aggressive. Korbin Sims looked ready to cannibalise someone. Meanwhile Ben Hunt at last looked like a one million dollar player. BUT... can someone hypnotise him and convince him that he is going to be playing the Broncs every week- otherwise I fear we will see a regression to the mean of mediocrity he produces most weeks.

Also, I never thought I'd be using this phrase but ..in fairness to Mary... SGI have copped some pretty ordinary decisions both on and off the field in recent weeks. First the forward pass to Burgess resulting in a Souths try (which didn't change the outcome of the match) and then the blatant Broncos strip on Ravalawa- which cost us a try and almost the match.

Meanwhile, Greenberg's rejection of the Dragons request for financial assistance to replace De Belin is simply adding insult to injury. These are retrospective penalties being visited on the Dragons by the NRL I am now hoping that the Dragons grow a pair and join De Belin in pursuing the NRL thru the courts and that the NRL gets the kicking they deserve for unfairly punishing not only De Belin but a club and its thousands of passionate members and supporters.

A few thoughts on the Canterbury Cup game against the top of the table Panthers. SGI played well and were unlucky to lose after finishing one player down due to injury. Luc played again and was a colossus at times with the ball in hand. But, as Jimmy Smith noted, the Dragons have to work out how to use him. Very often he was thrown the ball at first receiver like it was an under 8 game. He is not a middle forward- but he should not be positioning himself there if that's the case.

Field continues to frustrate me. He ran elusively to create three on two situations, threw two outstanding bullet passes onto the chests of outside backs for tries and looked an attacking 5/8 of absolute quality. However, his goal kicking was abysmal and he took a couple of poor sixth tackle options including one where he ran and was rag dolled into touch.

HIs halves partner Adam Clune also frustrates me - but it's because he's such a talented footballer who apparently won't commit to full time footie.

Don't be fooled by Maranta's three tries- he just had to flop over the line and I could have scored them. Pearson took a spectacular intercept and looked fast over the 80 metres he had to run. He was strong bringing the ball back as well so we can probably say that we have at least three wingers who can cope with the physical demands of NRL.

Steven Marsters again showed quality. He has the Matt Gidley/Mark Gasnier back of the hand flick to his winger which produced a try.

In the forwards, apart from Luc and Robson none really stood out. Jackson Ford has a high work rate but looks 10-15 kgs too light for NRL.