What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 Vs Broncos

Crush

Coach
First get the team up for the game. Then select the right 17; no favourites. Then manage a four forward bench properly giving all bench players at least 20min. The team I'd select is:
1. Dufty - on tilt, looking at his defence, confidence under the high ball and metres run.
2. Pereira - did enough last game to earn his place.
3. Lomax - this is his chance to earn the 3 jumper. Will be goal kicker.
4. Lafai - good in the first half, shocking in the second half. Last chance.
5. Pearson - now gets his chance to impress.
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. K Sims - with Lomax and Pearson should plug up the holes on the right.
13. Lawrie - Did a good job last game.

14. Robson - Bite the bullet Mary, I have no doubt this selection will be a winner
15. Graham
16. Timm
17. Host

Widdop to be let go and his and De Belin's salary used to bolster our squad with genuine top grade first graders.

Aitken, Ravalawa and Latimore to Canterbury Cup.
I'd like to see Ravalawa play at least 4 weeks before throwing him on the scrap heap. He's young and developing his craft, surely you don't drop him after one bad game?
Many still criticize Mary for dropping Mann after the poor game at fullback vs the sharks years ago and you want to do the same thing?
Cmon Possm.

possm

Coach
I'd like to see Ravalawa play at least 4 weeks before throwing him on the scrap heap. He's young and developing his craft, surely you don't drop him after one bad game?
Many still criticize Mary for dropping Mann after the poor game at fullback vs the sharks years ago and you want to do the same thing?
Cmon Possm.

We have what I have always thought to be our best winger in the club sitting on the scrap heap mainly because he was unable to play trials for personal reasons. Since then, he has played very well in ISP. Pearson should get his chance, I saw enough last game to indicate Ravalawa needs more work to be at first grade level.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
"I sort of don't get involved. Because obviously I put my time into coaching and Ian manages the salary cap and stuff. We're talking about it so [the media] obviously feel the same.

There's your answer right there. "sort of don't get involved" so, translation is yes he gets involved, probably on the who we need basis and then tells Millward to get that one.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Its funny people seem to be happy to give Ravalawa ( a relatively unknown) the benefit of the doubt to develop in first grade while we have a super star in waiting ie Lomax... and that's the opinion of Fittler whos coached him in U18 SOO as well as Johns, Gould etc, languishing in CC. Lomax showed enough at the end of last season to suggest he is ready for FG...even if we give him a spell from time to time and manage his progression. Our backline for the first 2 weeks has been pedestrian...Aitken is bash and barge, Lafai is good close the line and one on one, but not with great speed in the open and both wingers I thought clunky. Our kick chase near the opposition line last Thursday was terribel. Make no mistake there are a couple of clubs looking for centre replacements at the current time and will no doubt be sniffing around

getsmarty

Immortal
widdop_rc1_1300.jpg

DRAGONS

Why the Dragons won't sell out on new-look spine
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 22 Mar 2019, 06:07 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Captain Gareth Widdop is handling the ball as often at fullback as he used to at five-eighth as the Dragons adapt to a new attacking style with three leading playmakers.

While there have been questions raised about Widdop’s move to fullback after back-to-back losses, he has still been heavily involved and received the ball 20 times in the first half against Souths on Thursday night compared to 21 receipts by five-eighth Corey Norman.

Halfback Ben Hunt handled the ball 27 times in the first half and has increased his involvement this season after averaging 49 receipts of possession per game in 2018, while Widdop averaged 38.9 receipts per game last year.

The three playmakers worked together in the first half and Widdop set up Jordan Pereira's first try in the ninth minute, while Norman was responsible for the winger's second in the 20th minute.

Widdop received the ball 25 times in the second half after moving to five-eighth in the 61st minute when Paul McGregor injected Matt Dufty into the game at fullback in a re-shuffle which saw Norman shift to halfback, Hunt to hooker and Cameron McInnes to lock.

It is understood McGregor would be willing to allow Widdop to revert to five-eighth if the skipper was uncomfortable with the switch but the Dragons intend to persevere and believe the move offers them more creativity in attack.

normanc-190321083.jpg

Dragons five-eighth Corey Norman. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
This view is supported by St George Illawarra’s domination of the match at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium until props James Graham (29 min) and Paul Vaughan (32 min) were interchanged.

Souths coach Wayne Bennett already had his four interchange players – Liam Knight, Mark Nicholls, Ethan Lowe and Kyle Turner – on the field before Graham completed his first spell as the Rabbitohs were run off their feet and sapped of energy.

In contrast, McGregor’s only change had been Jeremy Latimore replacing rookie lock Blake Lawrie in the 21st minute.

The match was only the second time Lawrie had started at NRL level and he played 55 minutes in three stints, while prop Josh Kerr made his top-grade debut and received 17 minutes after replacing Vaughan just before halftime.

Luciano Leilua shared game time with fellow second-rower Jacob Host, who played two stints of 36 and 25 minutes, while Dufty was thrust into action for the final 19 minutes after the Dragons had conceded four consecutive tries.

McGregor will welcome the availability of Korbin Sims for next Thursday night’s trip to Brisbane after serving a two-match suspension, while Test forward Tyson Frizell is expected to return two weeks later following surgery for a ruptured testicle.

The NRL has asked the Dragons to provide details of a proposal seeking salary cap relief to replace de Belin, who has been stood down under the NRL’s “no-fault stand down” policy while he defends a sexual assault charge.

Widdop and McInnes blamed the second-half collapse on a drop off in completion rates from 83 per cent in the first half to 65 per cent in the second half as the home side was forced to make 150 tackles to 114 by the Rabbitohs.

Match Highlights: Dragons v Rabbitohs

“The spine is as good as the intent from the team,” McInnes said. “The best halfback, hookers and five-eighths in the game play great when their forwards are getting a roll on and winning possession.

“In the first half we did that so our spine was pretty good. In the second half we didn’t and our spine probably didn’t look that good.

“It’s only round two so If anyone out there is panicking you wouldn’t want to have them in your corner because we will get better, we will learn and that first half against a quality side, I think they would agree that we dominated them."

Widdop has not shied away from the fact that five-eighth is his preferred position but he starred for England at fullback in the 2017 World Cup and has already shown he will put the interests of the Dragons first by giving the club 12 months notice of his desire to play Super League in 2019.

“I am committed to the Dragons, I’m here for the rest of the year and I’m not going anywhere,” Widdop said.

“I will do what’s best for the team. I have played in the NRL for a long while now and I’ve played five-eighth. That’s my No.1 position but if Mary believes I am the best fit at fullback for this team I will go out there and do a job."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/24/why-the-dragons-wont-sell-out-on-new-look-spine/

Cmon Possm.
So Crush, if we draw a line through that sentiment, what about Lomax?
He only got 2 games before being thrown on the scrap heap.
The difference is that he played very well in those two games and still finds himself on the outer.
Ravalawa was a liability.

Frank Facer

First Grade
We are not the Roosters...but yes that would be nice to have an unlimited amount of money so that we could buy anyone.
I would be offloading Lafai and Aitken. Tapping Graham on the shoulder and telling him this is his last year. Add Widdop going and we could have 2.3 mil salary cap space. Take 350K off for Norman's contract next year and we would have 1.9 mil salary cap space to spend on players.

Crush

Coach
The difference is that he played very well in those two games and still finds himself on the outer.
Lomax should be in the team at starting centre. And he should be given at least half a season to settle into that position given his potential before making a call on him.
Ravalawa may have been a liability last week but you shouldn't drop a player after 40 min of poor footy.
He's raw and needs coaching. Take him back to training, show him video, coach him and set expectations that he has 4 weeks to correct these errors or he will be dropped but tell him that you fully expect him to be playing all year long and believe in his ability to improve.

LINESPEED

Juniors

Lomax, Dufty & Field’s treatment, along with the Spine debacle is all about Waterboy’s obsession with Aitken & Lafai - and the imperious righteousness of his judgements alone

Messed in the head this guy

possm

Coach
Any winger running outside Aitken is going to look bad especially with Mary's failed compressed defence structure and I'd say, instructions to Aitken to run in and cut of play. Last year Nightingale look poor outside Aitken and this year both Lomax and Ravalawa didn't go well either.

I'd say drop Aitken and replace him with Lomax with Pearson on the right wing. If Mary selects K Sims on the right edge and Host coming off the bench, I am sure you will see a big upgrade to the performance of our right edge. K Sims, Lomax and Pearson is the way to go.

Old Timer

Coach
Any winger running outside Aitken is going to look bad especially with Mary's failed compressed defence structure and I'd say, instructions to Aitken to run in and cut of play. Last year Nightingale look poor outside Aitken and this year both Lomax and Ravalawa didn't go well either.

I'd say drop Aitken and replace him with Lomax with Pearson on the right wing. If Mary selects K Sims on the right edge and Host coming off the bench, I am sure you will see a big upgrade to the performance of our right edge. K Sims, Lomax and Pearson is the way to go.
You keep making a wrong assumption re Host
Without him in the right it would have been considerably worse
Host is not part of the problem and should be left there in a starting right edge position.

possm

Coach
You keep making a wrong assumption re Host
Without him in the right it would have been considerably worse
Host is not part of the problem and should be left there in a starting right edge position.
I agree, Host has shown he is ready for first grade and let's hope he continues to progress each game. Many are suggesting K Sims should go to lock or to prop however, I'd say he should go to the right edge backrow position with Host on the bench in place of Leilua who is clearly not fit.

Leilua is doing a good job at lock and we young props Kerr and Timm to bring through. Of course K Sims could be used as a prop for a short time during a game while Host is on the field until the youngsters Kerr and Timm get their match fitness up and thus play longer minutes.

Unlike Mary, I like a four forward bench mainly because he relies very heavily on out forward pack being dominant. So my forwards at the moment would be:

Kerr
McInnes
Vaughan
T Sims
K Sims
Lawrie

Robson
Graham
Timm
Host

Frank Facer

First Grade
Its funny people seem to be happy to give Ravalawa ( a relatively unknown) the benefit of the doubt to develop in first grade while we have a super star in waiting ie Lomax... and that's the opinion of Fittler whos coached him in U18 SOO as well as Johns, Gould etc, languishing in CC. Lomax showed enough at the end of last season to suggest he is ready for FG...even if we give him a spell from time to time and manage his progression. Our backline for the first 2 weeks has been pedestrian...Aitken is bash and barge, Lafai is good close the line and one on one, but not with great speed in the open and both wingers I thought clunky. Our kick chase near the opposition line last Thursday was terribel. Make no mistake there are a couple of clubs looking for centre replacements at the current time and will no doubt be sniffing around
Almost everyone on this forum wants Lomax in our starting team ahead of Aitken and if not Aitken, then ahead of Lafai.

Anyone playing outside of Aitken is on a hiding to nothing.

getsmarty

Immortal
Korbin Sims to take field for St George Illawarra Dragons against Brisbane
Dragons Den
r0_0_6500_4333_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

New colours: Korbin Sims is set to play for the Dragons in Thursday NRL clash against Brisbane. Picture: Grant Trouville
When Korbin Sims arrived in Wollongong, brother Tariq warned he would need to be patient.

After all, he was coming into a forward pack already boasting Tyson Frizell, Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Tariq as representative star power.

But having served his two-week suspension from the Broncos' elimination final loss to the Dragons back in September, Sims comes now in with a greater sense of expectation.

St George Illawarra's new-look spine has come under heavy fire after consecutive losses, but Sims will instantly be the man most likely to properly fill the void left by Frizell and de Belin's absence, a combined 291 games. And he's probably the most like-for-like player to de Belin, who trained with the Dragons on Monday but has been stood down by the NRL while facing rape charges from a night out in December.

Josh Kerr, who made his NRL debut against Souths and Blake Lawrie, who has played just 16 career games have had to try and fill the void left.

At 27, Sims has now played 120 NRL games since making his debut in 2013 and is intent on making an impact against his former club Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday night.

"I think that's what I bring," Sims said.

"I'm still young, but I've got experience behind me, so hopefully that helps in any way, shape or form.

"I know when I was coming into first grade, the older guys help me a lot.

"Obviously we're a pretty young pack, but we've got plenty of desire and hunger about us that we'll be able to bounce back soon."

Tevita Pangai Junior was particularly damaging, scoring a try in Brisbane's impressive win over North Queensland on Friday, while debutant Thomas Flegler made his mark with 196 run metres.

The Dragons' offloading and ball movement worried the Rabbitohs big men in the first half on Thursday, but Souths then overwhelmed them, winning 34-18.

Sims had played in the Dragons two trial games, but has cooled his heels as penance for a dangerous tackle on Lawrie in the Broncos' crushing 48-18 elimination final loss.

"I'm just more excited, not so much to play against the Broncos, but to be playing footy in general," Sims said.

"I didn't want to leave Brisbane, but professionally it wasn't going to work for me to stay up there.

"Obiously I wasn't going to get re-signed, so it made it easier that Gerringong is only half an hour from where I'm living, my home town and my older brother (Tariq) being here as well."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...er-sims-is-ready-to-fire-for-dragons/?cs=3713

Almost everyone on this forum wants Lomax in our starting team ahead of Aitken and if not Aitken, then ahead of Lafai.

Anyone playing outside of Aitken is on a hiding to nothing.
Nightingale found that out the hard way.
2017 playing outside Lafai 16 tries 2018 playing outside Aitkin very few and an inglorious exit for one of the club's true champs.

epDragon62

First Grade
Lomax should be in the team at starting centre. And he should be given at least half a season to settle into that position given his potential before making a call on him.
Ravalawa may have been a liability last week but you shouldn't drop a player after 40 min of poor footy.
He's raw and needs coaching. Take him back to training, show him video, coach him and set expectations that he has 4 weeks to correct these errors or he will be dropped but tell him that you fully expect him to be playing all year long and believe in his ability to improve.
I’d do that and let him build confidence in ISP, Pearson with Lomax inside him at centre is a no brainer. Rava has time to break in...