What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 vs Storm

martielang

Bench
Melbourne slowed down our ruck that effectively, neither Hooker ever had a chance to run or be effective.

What would of Luai at Hooker done last night that would of made a difference? What could of either Hooker done differently? Egan threw a poor pass & other then that I can’t think of either making an error. Melbourne completely swamped us.

Kev07

Juniors
Melbourne slowed down our ruck that effectively, neither Hooker ever had a chance to run or be effective.

What would of Luai at Hooker done last night that would of made a difference? What could of either Hooker done differently? Egan threw a poor pass & other then that I can’t think of either making an error. Melbourne completely swamped us.
Katoa has run a total of 5 meters in his 2 games
Egan has run a total of 26 meters in his 3 games

mxlegend99

Referee
We definitely lack at hooker. Although not sure how we fix it considering it looked impossible to get the ball to our halves before the defence got there.

The second we were in the opposition 20 we had no time with the ball. Storm knew how to shut down our attack and did it perfectly. Their defensive line was too fast for us.

I think one issue is we have very little help for our halves in such situations. And our guys seem terrible at hanging onto short quick passes. Probably in part the conditions. But when Cleary and Jimmy have no time with the ball. Who takes pressure off them now?

Edwards isnt close to that yet. We no longer have Peachey. We haven't had Kikau who can create space. Katoa and Egan swapping doesnt change much either. Luai needs to be on the bench to give us another attacking option.

Last night you would have hooked Dyl after he cost us the second try. Thrown Luai at fullback and hoped he could do something. Not that it changes the result. After we were down by 12 we were never coming back against Storm. The team knew it and phoned it in for the rest of the game.

TheFrog

Coach
The only redeeming point I made (either in this thread, or the other) was when in the 1st half, the Storm were continually cuffing our players (holding down at the collar) yet the Fox crew never picked it up at the time for that entire half.

And also,as I usually say, how is it that defensive sides are right on top of us one pass from the ruck, yet when the opposition attack, we are at least 15 yards away. I'm I'm missing some obvious point here?
These sorts of things, and the push in the back try, are the sorts of things someone from the club should be having a chat with Annesley about.

One other thing- the more short dropouts I see, the more I think it should be a minimum of 20 metres. The team that has made an error or been caught in their own in-goal can kick it 10 metres or 60+ metres and the team receiving has to cover that entire area, whereas the kicking team can have huge numbers contest the ball if the kick is short. 10 metres minimum favours the infringing team too much.

Last edited:

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
One other thing- the more short dropouts I see, the more I think it should be a minimum of 20 metres. The team that has made an error or been caught in their own in-goal can kick it 10 metres or 60+ metres and the team receiving has to cover that entire area, whereas the kicking team can have huge numbers contest the ball if the kick is short. 10 metres minimum favours the infringing team too much.

I disagree. It makes the contest more interesting and rewards actually thinking about what you are doing.

Fangs

Coach
About what I expected last night.

We tailed off late when the game was over. Otherwise we just hung around and basically gave then the game early.

Not much from the halves, though Maloney looked somewhat dangerous and tried things. No idea how Cleary creates points for us in 2019.

Onto next week.

murraymob

Coach

our hookers never run anyway No different to Clearys last time as coach

Fangs

Coach
Does anyone know if Nathan Cleary actually graduated from our halves academy?

Think its time he goes back to his studies. Hooker academy for me.

Heard Luai played a decent game in reggies, but the moment he was moved to hooker looked very ineffective. Easily fixed I think.

mxlegend99

Referee
our hookers never run anyway No different to Clearys last time as coach
Last time he was here James Segeyaro got the Dally M hooker of the year ahead of Cam Smith.

James Segeyaro averaged ~65m per game in the 4 years he was with us.
Robbie Farah averaged 56m per game for Tigers last year.

Egan averaged 18m last year. Averaging 8m this year.
Sione Katoa had 82m for his game in 2015 under Ivan. Has averaged 20m a game under Griffin.

Ivan likes his hookers running. The problem is our current hookers just aren't that good

Pomoz

Bench
Cleary, Edwards, Mansour and Whare look really out of form. Our back line is very pedestrian right now.

I thought our defence was good until it run out of steam in the second half. They couldn't score if Edwards didn't keep dropping the ball. At 20 -2, they had scored one try off a legitimate attacking move and two tries where they just picked the ball up and walked across the line. They weren't finding gaps, our forwards were holding their own.

The Melbourne line speed is either the fastest in the NRL or they moved early each time. The camera angles at Bathurst make it impossible to see if that is the case, only somebody at the game could tell, but we had no space inside their 20m zone.

I though Egan went OK, but I don't understand why his running game is cut back so much when he plays in first grade. If the coach is telling him not to run, then he should f*ck off and the let the lad play his natural game. Or maybe the plan is to bore the opposition to death and so we don't want any flare.

Fangs

Coach
I thought our defence was good until it run out of steam in the second half. They couldn't score if Edwards didn't keep dropping the ball. At 20 -2, they had scored one try off a legitimate attacking move and two tries where they just picked the ball up and walked across the line. They weren't finding gaps, our forwards were holding their own.

That was part of the reason I didn't feel so bad after the game. Falling away during the last 15 was frustrating + Edwards performance. But it was about on par with what Penrith is capable of dishing up right now.

Long season ahead.

pandas

Juniors
Luai needs to be in the team. He looks so much more dangerous in attack and will make things happen. Almost everything Nathan does looks premeditated and he doesn’t seem to be able to adjust when circumstances don’t suit his plays. Of course he’s still very young and will get better but how many years are we gonna say that about this team?

I hope you're Ivan's account. For the sake of our season.

Ha.

You’d need to introduce Nathan to hooker slowly, 20 mins a game for a while. It’s not going to happen sadly.

He has the attributes of a hooker. Strong defender, strong runner of the ball. You don’t need as much vision at 9 either, it’s obviously mostly stand & deliver.

Problem is 9 devalues his worth, so we have a conflict with his father as coach. The whole situation is absurd really. I think in 10 years we’ll look back at this point in the clubs history as an absolute clusterf*ck

Luai needs to be in the team. He looks so much more dangerous in attack and will make things happen. Almost everything Nathan does looks premeditated and he doesn’t seem to be able to adjust when circumstances don’t suit his plays. Of course he’s still very young and will get better but how many years are we gonna say that about this team?

He won’t get better with vision.

You either have it or you don’t.

He’s a good footballer, just not a good halfback.

pandas

Juniors
He won’t get better with vision.

You either have it or you don’t.

He’s a good footballer, just not a good halfback.
Yeah I agree. Solid and hard working player but without the instinct or natural ability of better halves. I feel like Luai is more likely. And I hope Cleary continues to train hard and develop. How old was Cronk when he really started controlling games? Guess it’s hard to compare with guys like Smith and Slater around him though.