What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 vs the Knights

Then he is stuck to the one side of the field. A fit Edwards changes things of course

Constantly injured, i wonder if Edwards is worth persisting with as first choice fullback. He’s a solid player, but the constant chopping & changing at a key position might not be worth it.

Let’s not rush him into a starting spot yet. Imagine if he were to have a shocker, or didn’t handle all the pressure. It could ruin his confidence for a long time. It would be better to ease him in gradually off the bench.

If a shocker is enough to ruin him, he’ll never be mentally strong enough for first grade anyway.

franklin2323

Immortal
Constantly injured, i wonder if Edwards is worth persisting with as first choice fullback. He’s a solid player, but the constant chopping & changing at a key position might not be worth it.

Certainly doesn’t help his development to not be on the field plenty of options back there

I wouldn’t of re-signed him

Last edited:
Not quite fair.

Really?

Knee Injury in late 2017

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/panthers-dylan-edwards-suffers-injury-blow-53963

Shoulder injury early 2018 (Missed entire season)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/f6ca91708aff18287c61ce4167fd5529

Ankle injury early 2020

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2020/02/19/westfund-injury-update-dylan-edwards/

Now a hamstring injury in mid 2020

If the comp hadn’t of been suspended, I calculate he would’ve missed around 60% of our games since late 2017.

BxTom

Bench
Really?

Knee Injury in late 2017

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/panthers-dylan-edwards-suffers-injury-blow-53963

Shoulder injury early 2018 (Missed entire season)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/f6ca91708aff18287c61ce4167fd5529

Ankle injury early 2020

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2020/02/19/westfund-injury-update-dylan-edwards/

Now a hamstring injury in mid 2020

If the comp hadn’t of been suspended, I calculate he would’ve missed around 60% of our games since late 2017.
And it is just as likely that he could have played every round in an uninterrupted 2020 comp.

Kilkenny

Coach
Dylan’s injury woes are far from ideal given he is our number 1 choice fullback when fit and available. Despite getting a contract extension there is competition for his position maybe not this year given Staines, Laurie and the younger McGrady and still a year of NRL. Personally, I think Laurie is the pick of the bunch but the club seem to think Staines is the one as suggested sometime back by Panther Daz. Staines defence worries me I have to say it, but I guess that’s an area he can improvement as he develops physically in the next 12-18 months.

Kilkenny

Coach
I fail to see why we should be somewhat death riding Dylan as opposed to getting him back fit and well. As it stands currently he is our best number 1 option and our top 17 is not quite as good with him absent from the side. 2021 May be an entirely different story when the supposed young guns are really going to put more pressure on him for his spot, assuming he is not injured that is!

Kilkenny

Coach
We”re just talking, Kilkenny, the whole point of these boards. You’ve never really grasped that, have you?

Seriously what are you going on about?

Im sticking up for one of our players!

In my 6800 posts over the years I would suggest to you 90% of my posts have been positive whether they were about the club, Gould, individual players or whatever?

My post above about Dylan Edwards was a positive one in so much as we should be supporting him and if you are incapable of grasping that and somehow taking an opportunity to attack me then that says more about you as a fan than it does about me.

The_Frog

First Grade
Came into first grade as the regular fullback when Moylan was moved to the 6, round 13, 2017. Has played 42 games since then, missed 21 through injury, 18 of them due to the shoulder reconstruction in '18. Only three apart from that by my count, this week will make 4, and being a hammy, he'd be doubtful next week on the short turnaround as well. Not ideal, but hardly "constantly injured"

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
With the new 6 again rule fitness really matters and Dylan Edwards (followed by Nathan Cleary) is the fittest guy at our club and the most active supporting up the middle when his confidence is up. We'll see if that's enough to make for his lack of strength, the way he can get manhandled on kick returns and his hot and cold ability under the high ball but it does make some degree of difference.

Came into first grade as the regular fullback when Moylan was moved to the 6, round 13, 2017. Has played 42 games since then, missed 21 through injury, 18 of them due to the shoulder reconstruction in '18. Only three apart from that by my count, this week will make 4, and being a hammy, he'd be doubtful next week on the short turnaround as well. Not ideal, but hardly "constantly injured"

Would’ve missed up to 4 more if the comp continued after round 2. That would’ve made 26 missed games out of 45-50 or so since late 2017.

franklin2323

Immortal
With the new 6 again rule fitness really matters and Dylan Edwards (followed by Nathan Cleary) is the fittest guy at our club and the most active supporting up the middle when his confidence is up. We'll see if that's enough to make for his lack of strength, the way he can get manhandled on kick returns and his hot and cold ability under the high ball but it does make some degree of difference.

From the 3 games so far holding the ball has been key. Support play is his strength and will be even more so with tired defence

franklin2323

Immortal
Would’ve missed up to 4 more if the comp continued after round 2. That would’ve made 26 missed games out of 45-50 or so since late 2017.

We had a debutant in Luai on standby in 2017 for a finals game.
Had Dallin back there in 2018.
Have a year now with 4 less games. A rookie 5/8th and very likely no games at home...

So moreso than the number of games missed it is the key games we miss a crucial player for

franklin2323

Immortal

So he has been injured for 1/3 of the possible 63 games he could of played up until last year? Most hammys are 2-3 weeks. So lets say back in round 6 that is another quarter of the season missed (provided he makes it through)

That is constantly injured too me

Kilkenny

Coach
Anyway, let’s hope for our sake he get’s better and get’s back on the field. We should be a better 17 for his being in the side.