What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs. Dragons Discussion + Voting

blaza88z

Coach
it will be close, wet ground I think gives us the advantage given our forwards are our strength, Dragons strength would be their outside backs and more specifically their wingers

Home ground definitely a bonus for you guys

u4er

Juniors
I'm am not trolling, when I say that the Broncos are playing very well this year.

What do you guys put this down to. In our case, I think it is many things, including Widdop, Beale, Quinlan playing well and Rein finally getting his act together. In addition Creagh and Merrin seem to have lifted their games to another level.

Well. I obviously won't wish you guys good luck, but rather a great game, without injuries and certainly not influenced by poor ref decisions.

GO

More opposition fans like this plz!

Good post, to be honest if there was one thing I would put it down to it would be the appointment of a new Strength and Conditioning coach Alex Corvo. The last 2 seasons to Broncos have looked sluggish and overweight, this year we are looking a lot better IMHO. Still, it's early days yet.

Cagey Mac

Bench
More opposition fans like this plz!

Good post, to be honest if there was one thing I would put it down to it would be the appointment of a new Strength and Conditioning coach Alex Corvo. The last 2 seasons to Broncos have looked sluggish and overweight, this year we are looking a lot better IMHO. Still, it's early days yet.

This makes sense given the increased speed of the game with new rules in play. On paper, you shade us in the pack but the new rules may pull you back a little. Our outside backs and the variety that Widdop brings will keep you honest.
The Thaiday vs Merrin clash will be fantastic.
A true test of two genuine early contenders
Bennett should enjoy watching this one.

Snappy

Coach
This makes sense given the increased speed of the game with new rules in play. On paper, you shade us in the pack but the new rules may pull you back a little. Our outside backs and the variety that Widdop brings will keep you honest.
The Thaiday vs Merrin clash will be fantastic.
A true test of two genuine early contenders
Bennett should enjoy watching this one.

Honestly don't think either team is a genuine contender

Country Bronco

Juniors
Looking forward to tonight's game. I don't think either side are contenders but both are in good form. Should be close. Our kicking game will have to be better again.

u4er

Juniors
Glad Dugan isn't playing, wouldn't like him in my team but he is definitely an x-factor. I think the Broncos might surprise a few people tonight. This is probably just fan bias but I feel like the Dragons are over-achieving and the Broncos are still underachieving. If every player in our squad plays to their full potential we can mix it with any side.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Wow really good win by the boys. For the first time this season we have looked dangerous attacking inside the opposition 20.

3. Gillett
2. Thaiday
1. Copley

Apart from the dropped ball Vidot was strong again. Hunt had quite a good game. Special mention to Parker as per usual. His offloads make a big difference to our team.

Damn I hope Copley is ok, I think we might be a bit screwed without him Probably never thought I would say that.

But the biggest disappointment this season so far is..... Ben Barba. He is attracting lots of players when we do the sweep play, but apart from that he isn't doing much. And is it just me or does he seem a bit slow? We need him to start firing soon...

DeeJ

Bench
But the biggest disappointment this season so far is..... Ben Barba. He is attracting lots of players when we do the sweep play, but apart from that he isn't doing much. And is it just me or does he seem a bit slow? We need him to start firing soon...
l

Might still be injured, he doesn't look like he is running 100% to me. None the less he is contributing.

AceAv

Juniors
Yeh saying to my mate Barba really isn't trying to put on any jinks or xfactor plays. He's definitely still finding form from injury, so it's good the boys aren't relying on him so much.

Really impressed with our defensive effort tonight to stay as strong as possible even with the ref on the crowds side. And dragons getting some really good entertaining plays for the middle of the game.

Lorwries did pretty well to keep our bench rotation strong, but where the hell was Hala?
Happy to see Oates back out there -gee he is a monster now..

All in all a good disciplined win to play a completion game and take our chances when we had them to run home with it.

3. gillo
2. Macca
1. Thaiday.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
l

Might still be injured, he doesn't look like he is running 100% to me. None the less he is contributing.

I hope you are right DeeJ.

Considering Barba is still a bit off the pace and Hodges still out, we are going extremely well indeed!

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Lorwries did pretty well to keep our bench rotation strong, but where the hell was Hala?

Agree. Our bench really lacks some impact. I mean Lowrie, Wallace (granted who did play a bit better tonight).... And Kennedy isn't really doing much (anyone else disappointed with him so far this season?)... Could have done with a few Hala runs...

Guess can't complain too much, we are 3/4.

Nightward

Juniors
Not too bad. I waited a few rounds before weighing in this season given the early mail was that if Griffin didn't get results within the first four games he'd be out on his ear.

Hunt really started shaping up in the back end of last year. I wasn't a fan of his given the McCullough rotation was gimping our attack while the team adjusted and then re-adjusted to the different styles of hooker, but as an 80-minute player he's looking pretty good. All we need now is for Alf to teach Hunt how to grubber kick close to the line.

McCullough has likewise impressed. Much has been made of his potential, but he'd always pull some boneheaded move at the wrong time instead of providing service from dummy half. His stats were good on paper, but too many times the dummy-go-myself play close to the line would have been better spent passing to someone, anyone else. That he wasn't playing out the 80 minutes in order to swap with Hunt was a further frustration. This season he's playing the full game and isn't going glory-hunting as badly, so his workload and the results of it aren't as disparate as they have been in the past.

The captaincy was obviously too much mental baggage for Sam to deal with, and it left us directionless at some critical points over the last few years. Parker should always have followed Lockyer in that role; he provides a better example and more mental stability to the team. Sam's always good for some big hits or barging through, but he was worrying too much to play to potential. Loosing the captaincy must have hurt, but he's channelled it well. He still needs to work on ball security, though, he drops too many in critical situations.

If Copley is injured it may actually benefit the team balance. The obvious solution is moving Gillett to Centre, where he's played well and had blinders before. I would then move Parker back to Lock, bring Hala onto the bench, and have one of the bench forwards start. Copley has played well this season given that he's really a Lock or back-rower.

Hala was on a mission against the Roosters. He's been cruelled by injury in the past, but with Hannant struggling to get back near his best and Kennedy not delivering much it's not as though he'd be out of place. So far only McGuire is a walk-up start for the forwards, though the bench has shown some ability. Give Gojira a chance.

Still early days yet, but things are building nicely for the moment. The test as always will be the Origin period.

For tonight:

3. Gillett
2. Parker
1. McCullough

Country Bronco

Juniors
Another good team performance. I guess complacency and it's early days is prevalent in our minds. Our attack especially ad lib is pleasing to see. Our forwards and back three are providing a good platform for wins. Our halves are benefiting from this and are producing the goods. It will be interesting to see when we are under immense pressure how the halves go. Defence has been spectacular at times. We're not letting in too many soft tries but missed tackles and points conceded shows we need to improve.

Barba? Probably saved more tries than scored but has set up a few tries. I think he has been great for the amount of games he's played with team. Yes I would like to see barba provide X factor tries but defences are focused on stopping him. In time I think barba will produce his best footy and be a weapon once our players get to know him more.

Copley has proven to be a centre which I thought him to be all along. His speed, size and strength shows that he belongs in the centres. I think when hodges comes back they'll swap a fair bit. Unlucky for maranta who has been really good and in years to come we may all have to eat our words.

Vidot. In my opinion has been the best of the back three. His hit ups are getting us out of trouble. Sheer metres gained should be well up in statistics. Fair he blew a certain try but I think he was surprised with Reed's offload and how easy he was going to score.

Macca keeps playing his best footy. Parker is leading the way. Glenn is a constant threat. Thaiday is doing everything right. All players are doing what they need to be. I for one couldn't be happier with our team.

3 Gillette
2 Thaiday
1 Hunt

hellteam

First Grade
We seem to start like this every year so can't start counting our chickens yet!!

Barba hasn't set the world on fire but having a viable ball playing option on those second man plays has made a massive difference to our attack, and he can only improve from here.

Latest posts