What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs the eels

The difference and contrasting game style, the Eels two front rowers 42 carry’s of the football as compared to 13 carry’s by JFH and Leota. We admire the work our outside backs do, rightly so, but it is a significant difference, make of it what you will I guess. Moses didn’t exactly do us any favours with his brain dead late tackle on Mitchell Moses which proved costly in the end.

Credit where credit is due RCG and Paulo were outstanding.
I think this is a great point. I also think that we allowing more yardage in defence; no problem when the game compresses as we are as disciplined as any team I have ever seen, but last year teams were ending their sets inside the 40 and now they are often kicking from inside their attacking half. The rule changes to hamper our style of play (hold em up and drill em back) seems to worked from the eye test. Could it be an element of personnel also? Someone with more knowledge of the team might be able to tell me if Api led the line speed (I would assume not as he wasn’t starting at the end of last year when we were at our most ferocious in that department).

Mon the attacking side though we aren’t making the metres we used to. I think Edwards, the wingers and centres are still doing a great job but their PTBs seem to have been slower this year.

So yes the attack has been clunky but we aren’t on the front foot like we were last year and that, to my mind is about our defending of opponents yardage sets and our own yardage sets. Rule changes are part of it but I can’t help thinking (like Kilkenny points out) that our front rowers aren’t playing like the did in September last year. But I also recognise that playing in the pack is a tough position, and I will be delighted with them taking the foot of the gas in March/April if Moses, Fish and Martin play the way they played in. September last year in August/September/October this year. Because those three players (along with Kiks and the bench, who are playing well again this year) won us the comp last year and if they play like that again this year, we win again.

Kilkenny

Coach
You go into a season with a plan and a plan for each game. Sometimes the plan goes awry when your back up hooker goes down with a HIA soon after coming on, it happens. Luke Sommerton may have some ability but after a handful of NSW Cup games suggestions he needs to be thrown in is ridiculous. Against the Raiders common sense will prevail and either Peachy comes in on the bench or if need be Jaemon Salmon can play a handful of minutes at dummy half.

Flashstep

Juniors
I think this is a great point. I also think that we allowing more yardage in defence; no problem when the game compresses as we are as disciplined as any team I have ever seen, but last year teams were ending their sets inside the 40 and now they are often kicking from inside their attacking half. The rule changes to hamper our style of play (hold em up and drill em back) seems to worked from the eye test. Could it be an element of personnel also? Someone with more knowledge of the team might be able to tell me if Api led the line speed (I would assume not as he wasn’t starting at the end of last year when we were at our most ferocious in that department).

Mon the attacking side though we aren’t making the metres we used to. I think Edwards, the wingers and centres are still doing a great job but their PTBs seem to have been slower this year.

So yes the attack has been clunky but we aren’t on the front foot like we were last year and that, to my mind is about our defending of opponents yardage sets and our own yardage sets. Rule changes are part of it but I can’t help thinking (like Kilkenny points out) that our front rowers aren’t playing like the did in September last year. But I also recognise that playing in the pack is a tough position, and I will be delighted with them taking the foot of the gas in March/April if Moses, Fish and Martin play the way they played in. September last year in August/September/October this year. Because those three players (along with Kiks and the bench, who are playing well again this year) won us the comp last year and if they play like that again this year, we win again.

I will say just about our entire team from 2020-2022 were playing at a ridiculous standard consistently when it came to defensive line speed and making metres combined with quick play the balls. Our effort is still there but we were dominating teams because of what I mentioned earlier. I do think we’ve been a bit hard done by from the refs since we get nothing when teams are laying all over us (then again I’m obviously a bias prick here). Also opposing teams are finding much more chinks in our armour.

It’s probably unfair for us as fans to expect our team just to do that forever honestly even if it is frustrating to see, but I think it’s just another reason why we need to adapt going forward if we wanna stay a threat at the top.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
You go into a season with a plan and a plan for each game. Sometimes the plan goes awry when your back up hooker goes down with a HIA soon after coming on, it happens. Luke Sommerton may have some ability but after a handful of NSW Cup games suggestions he needs to be thrown in is ridiculous. Against the Raiders common sense will prevail and either Peachy comes in on the bench or if need be Jaemon Salmon can play a handful of minutes at dummy half.
So another 80mins with no hooker?

Latest posts