What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs Titans

Talanexor

Juniors
Team is up. And changes have been made WOO!

1. Ty Williams
2. Will Tupou
3. Ash Graham
4. Willie Tonga
5. John Williams
6. Ray Thompson
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Matt Scott
9. Aaron Payne
10. Antonio Kaufusi
11. Scott Bolton
12. Steve Rapira
13. Luke O'Donnell

14. Anthony Watts
15. James Tamou
16. Willie Mason
17. Carl Webb

18. Leeson Ah Mau

Not sure on the gold coast side yet.

We've dropped Rovelli, Bani and Southern. Having said that, if Ty Williams and John Williams are unable to play through inury, we'll see Gallant and Bani come in. Wait and see I guess.

Big Pete

Referee
Hope Thompson and Tupou go well on their respective run on debuts.

Gallant must be doing something wrong for Williams to be selected in front of him again.

Talanexor

Juniors
Apparently Gallant had a pretty good game, admittedly in a losing team. Mick Crawley, our assistant coach, went to the game and said he played well, and was "buzzing everywhere".

There hasn't been any word yet on Ty Williams injury, so we may well see Gallant play this week anyway.

The Pain Game

Juniors
YES!!! Never been a time when I did not look forward to a game, but with some changes, I am really looking forward to it.

Hope the Mighty Mouse (Gallant) does get a run!

The Pain Game

Juniors
BTW is Leeson AuMau there for experience, or is Aaron Payne injured and Watts will go into starting hooker? (creating a spot on the bench)

Desert Qlder

First Grade
This is magic! My hope has now been restored in this season. At least now we can see that Henry is prepared to make the changes necessary, albeit in a steady-as-she-goes fashion.

Having heard so much about Thompson I'm really looking forward to seeing him play.

It's been a dreary few days since last Friday, and I wasn't all too excited about the next game, until now. It's so much better approaching a game with a sense of optimism.

Talanexor

Juniors
BTW is Leeson AuMau there for experience, or is Aaron Payne injured and Watts will go into starting hooker? (creating a spot on the bench)

Leeson Ah Mau had a blinder for the Cutters on the weekend (same team as Gallant). We've dropped Southern and something tells me Carl Webb is on notice BIG Time, especially after his "no-look effort" against the Dragons.

You're right though, Payne has been carrying an injury since round 1, and maybe he needs a week or two off to recover. If thats the case I think Watts will still start the game on the bench, and Thompson will look after the dummy half duties for the first 20-30 mins, and we'll start the game with an extra forward. Like we did when Payne was injured last season.

Shorty

Staff member
I'm happy to see those changes made, some debuts this weekend...hopefully they do well.
Still no Gallant though...I just want to see him get a go, I suppose Henry is focussed on defense at the back.

StinkyPete

Juniors
hate to burst bubbles but Will Tupou is debuting out of position he's a centre not sure of henry's train of thought if he's after a winger theres Obe Geia desperate for a run.

on a better note awesome to see James Tamou back in the side and for young Ray to finally get a chance to prove himself. heres hoping Leeson Ah Mau gets a run over Carl Webb

Big Pete

Referee
Having seen Will play I believe he'll handle the wing position just fine, especially against a Prince-less Titans side.

And yep, Ah Mau was a wrecking machine against the Dolphins on the weekend. I've heard the Broncos were very keen on signing him to the point we signed his older brother, Isaak, just to sway him.

I'd say you're right about Henry on Gallant. There must be something really crook in his game for him not to be considered. Looking at the side, it appears Henry saw this round as the perfect opportunity to blood some players. I can understand his justification, had he chosen to make changes after the Broncos game there wouldn't of been enough time to adjust the team for the Round 3 heavyweight clash. By giving his boys another chance he was able to play it safely, and while it may of annoyed some, in the long term I believe it'll be seen as the best move.

I mean, the way some fans carry on you'd be likely to see 40 players play for the Cows per season, which by the by was the norm when the Cows were perennial losers.

Shorty

Staff member
I think most of us are happy with the changes.
Rovelli was definitely an urgent priority and we have wanted some speed for a long time now.
I said in a previous thread that if Henry wants to the Cowboys to be competitive, he has to do one of the following;
Have someone faster at fullback or put some speedy wingers around Ty.
So it's good to see it being tried, I don't think Tupou will have an issue playing out of position.....I think you have to be a damned good center these days to debut there.
Even then Inglis, Folau and even Tonga I think all debuted at winger.

Charlie124

First Grade
I think the whole "Ty Williams isnt fast enough" argument was thrown out the window when he saved two trys from a flying Morris on the weekend, apparently not. I also find it a little strange that some people are so against Ty playing fullback because "he's out of position" yet in the same breath are happy to have a guy debut out of position on the wing. Not that i think Topou wont handle it, im sure he will, it just seems a little hypocritical.

Shorty

Staff member
Fullback is completely different to wing....
Yes well we'll see if Ty is back to his fastness on the weekend, I think running down Morris was a moment for Ty.

Charlie124

First Grade
Centre is also completely different to Wing.... see Ash Graham and Ty Williams himself for evidence of that.

Shorty

Staff member
Wing and centre are more similar, centres start at wing when coming into first grade often.
Anyway I don't have an issue with Ty at fullback, I think he can cut it if he has more confidence in himself to run like he did for Morris.

Last edited:

Talanexor

Juniors
Yeah, Ty Williams does seem to be improving with time in the 1 jersey. He did run down Morris, which I don't think he even realised he could do until he tried.

There are two areas of his game at fullback that are still really weak though:

• His positioning on kicks (he's always moving at the last minute to make the catch, instead of positioning himself properly first)
  • His support play and role in attack (he doesn't get involved)
That last point is the major strength of Gallant's game, and the reason a lot of us would like to see him get the same chance in first grade Ty has been given.

Overall I'm stoked with the changes. Ray Thompson starting in the halves is great, and Tupou on the wing is a smarter move than either Geia or Malone IMO, he *should* be safer defensively than either of those, if what I've heard and seen are anything to go by.

Talanexor

Juniors
Here we are. We may yet see Gallant play this weekend - apparently Ty is still injured and cannot run at full pace yet. He's only got a couple more days to prove his fitness.

Henry gives youngsters their shot
JOSH ALSTON
March 31st, 2010
THE axe has been swung and two of the Cowboys' young stars have been handed a chance to shine against the Titans this Saturday night.
Both under-20s skipper Ray Thompson and centre Will Tupou have been called up to first grade following the club's 33-8 loss against the Dragons on Saturday night.
Five-eighth Grant Rovelli and winger Michael Bani have made way for their promotion while Steve Southern was also dumped to accommodate James Tamou, who has been 18th man in all three games so far this season.
Thompson in particular has been in sparkling form in the under-20s' unbeaten start to the season and first cut his teeth in first grade in round 26 last year.
''He's developing, he's a fantastic leader for the young guys too (being) a role model within the 20s team,'' coach Neil Henry said.
''Being a kid that's come through our system and a North Queenslander, it's all a nice fit for us.
''It's a step up for him but something that he doesn't seem too fazed by.''
Rovelli has been sent back to Queensland Cup following some defensive lapses against the Dragons and will be given every chance to return to first grade.
In the meantime, Henry is hoping to give Thompson more experience at the top level to groom him as a playmaker of the future.
''Ray is still learning so we're going to give him a bit of time ... it's a learning curve for him as well,'' he said.
''JT commands most of the ball but he'll need to be a good foil for him.
''We've got every confidence in Ray, he's a good defensive player, he's got nice touch with his kick and the emphasis we've really got is that he's able to defend on that edge.
''He's got a job to do there and on that side of the field they'll have Bird hovering around there too so there's really a job to do on that right edge.''
Tamou has forced his way into the team after a strong 2009 season, backed up with willing performances for the Northern Pride in the Queensland Cup so far this year.
''He's been commanding big minutes in the Queensland Cup, he's been their best forward,'' Henry said.
''He's been fairly patient, he's been our 18th man a few times now so he's been travelling and then going back to play Queensland Cup so he gets his opportunity to play.''
Ty Williams was named at fullback but is racing the clock with two niggling injuries keeping him off the training paddock.
While the damage to his bicep is not as bad as first feared, that and an ankle sprain mean the back is battling pain and unable to run at full speed.
''He's in a bit of doubt, he's got some muscle damage around his bicep but not a tendon tear which would require surgery,'' Henry said.
''He jammed up his ankle as well, that's a bit sore so he ran (Monday) night but he didn't run flat out, not at 100 per cent.
''We'll have to monitor him but I expect him to be OK.''
Shannon Gallant is waiting in the wings should Williams be unable to prove his fitness.
COWBOYS under-20s team: Alex Elisala, Kyle Feldt, Moses Pangai, Steven Eliott, Wayne Ulugia, Michael Parker Walshe, Michael Morgan, Aidan Day, James Segeyaro, Callum Haywood, John Koko, Jack Cooper, Chris Faust. Interchange: Chris McLean, David Uhi, Sam Hoare, Jason Taumalolo, Mitchell Zornig, John Puna.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2010/03/31/126765_cowboys.html

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Let me get this straight, Ty has two separate injuries and his form at the back has been questionable at best.

Exactly what else do they need to make the change?

Latest posts