Round 5 v Sharks

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Dragonslayer, Jun 8, 2020.

1. SBD82

SBD82 Coach

All you blokes who are advocating Rav at 4. I hope you’ll be super patient with him making defensive decisions when he doesn’t have the luxury of learning it in reserve grade.

BLM01 and redv13 like this.
  2. Dragonsteve2

Dragonsteve2 Juniors

OT, I have not read every post since the game - have you attempted to evaluate what you wrote before the game? For what it's worth here's my response:

* More ball to Clune, but still not enough. Fascinating to see that with Clune's superior kicking game on display both Norman and Hunt kicked better than usual. Only the one over the dead ball line (one too many!). Hunt certainly kicked better from dummy half.
    * Some good hits from Fuimaono but not quite as strong as his game against the Panthers. At least there was no attempt to play him very long minutes.
    * Can't recall Host getting any early ball.
    * I was surprised by Graham's performance - it looked like he may have paid a visit to the Fountain of Youth during the week. Seemed to suit him coming off the bench.
    * The Hunt/McInnes change seemed to work very well.
    * Thankfully the Dufty swap was made to start the game and he had one of his best games.
    * Aitken went missing only on the Sharks' 2nd try. His running game appeared at its strongest. Such a pity he hasn't had a coach who could teach him to defend in the line and pass. One of the worst indictments of the Mary era.
    * Thankfully we had the more objective Sterlo as the expert commentator rather than Pompous Phil.

Great to get a win! But it needs to be one step at a time - we have now elevated ourselves to being in a contest for the Spoon rather than its hot favourite. Coincidence that the win came without carrying a back on the bench in case of injury? But in relation to the bench I must add I was stunned that Kerr after a very strong first 20 odd minutes only reappeared with about three minutes of the game to go.

blacksafake, Gareth67 and Dragonsamy like this.
  3. Dragonsteve2

Dragonsteve2 Juniors

M.Lane,
    As far as I am concerned Clune has not previously played NRL because he has not been given a chance. Last year in CC he was so clearly the star not Mary's replacement pick of "Daz". Mary, being Mary, ensured Clune saw little ball vs the Dogs last week which contributed to the loss. Yesterday when getting a bit more ball he showed the advantage of a good tactical kicker in the team. One repeat possession from a grubber rather than another over the dead ball line and bombs which gave Lomax an opportunity to challenge. He seemed to have a positive impact on Norman's kicking too.

In a later post you mentioned you don't see Clune as a premiership winner. May I ask how many of the current team you would apply that lofty status to? Can I suggest first things first? Number 1 is to win enough games to avoid the Spoon. Then employ a decent coach who can develop longer term plans to drag the club from cellar dwelling back into premiership contention.

4. Dragonsamy

Dragonsamy Bench

Official stated by the CEO see the web site as he is staying

5. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

Well spoken Dragonsteve 2 , my thought also . Clune had an excellent game , a few minor errors yes , but all in all he played quite well for only his second NRL game .

For mine he is the little general that the Dragons have been missing for oh so long . The more games he plays the better he will get .

Now we must pray that the maestro does not begin to tinker with the orchestra as the music is beginning to sound ever so sweet .

blacksafake and Dragonsteve2 like this.
  6. Saints Forever

Saints Forever Bench

I quite enjoy it:)

Old Timer, Dragonsamy and hazzbeen like this.
  7. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

Yes, but you’re delusional

hazzbeen likes this.
  8. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

Good post champion

Luckily some changes were made pre game and you have elaborated well.0$

Watched the game and also replayed it and hard to get overly enthused about the performance from a team perspective.

Mc Humptydumpty just won’t go that extra step by dropping the out of form players nor release the hand breaks he has put on the team.

When you watch the slick teams play it puts our performance yesterday into realcontext “clunky & lacking finesse”

Dragonsteve2 and blacksafake like this.
  9. Qapm

Qapm Juniors

I'll even go one better and say that I hope Mary can turn things around and actually earn his salary.

I doubt it. I know f-all about rugby league but I know a failing organization when I see one but if Mary can turn it around I'll be one of the fist to say "sorry, I was wrong".

So here's hoping for a win against the Titans.

10. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

AA828DFE-6C58-46E6-BA1D-949BED62593F.jpeg

“ What the f##k ! A true believer ? “ “ Give me a call if you ever need a cheap paint job - I always look after my friends “ .

11. Dragonsamy

Dragonsamy Bench

@Dragon Slayer
    You know why there was changes last week is the nrl line up.
    It's because we now have a committee of 4 selectors Mary only has one vote. Before he was the one man deciding all the positions

12. denis preston

denis preston First Grade

AND you gotta ask why wasn't this the case after say 7 defeats in a row ?? Again, take most of the control away from the moron and make a chance that the guy will resign from embarrassment.
    Again though , perhaps some on the board are gutless to cross Gordon and lose their job.

13. Dragonsamy

Dragonsamy Bench

Dennis I tend agree with you seems that way

14. possm

possm Coach

I like Clube and rate him higher than Norman. I can't wait to see the back of Hunt and Norman and look forward to a halves combo of Sullivan and Clune.

Salary-cap wise, our team will be better balanced under a Sullivan/Clune halves combination. Hunt looks to be a much better hooker than he is a halfback. I am excited with the prospect of young guns Ramsey, Saab, the Feagai brothers and Shiller coming through. Hopefully, we have a new coaching and management staff by that time and so, have a good chance to begin the long hard climb up the premireship ladder.

Dragonsteve2, LINESPEED and BLM01 like this.
  15. BLM01

BLM01 First Grade

Oh possm! that is almost an endorsement of Millward maybe doing a good job
    And it’s Schiller

16. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

Happy to see you guys beat the Sharks, sort off enjoyed watching it even if I was still on a downer from our loss to the Eels on Friday night.

Still don’t think the win alters the landscape of your club going forward, the coach will probably see out the season and you will have a new person in charge, whoever that may be for 2021. Not withstanding his demise at my club Anthony Griffin could be a really good fit for a rebuild, not likely to earn you a premiership, but from a rebuild perspective he could be solid and not one of the old guard. He’s kinda boring in lot’s of ways but could be the correct fit for what you guys need short term anyway.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Tuddy, SBD82, draco and 3 others like this.