What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 vs Bulldogs

kit66

Bench
Coach will play Host in the middle and Leilua will come on as the edge. Leilua will get limited time whilst Frizz gets a short spell.
If you go back and have a look at the games thus far you will see Host has already been shifted into the centre a few times this year in some of the defensive patterns.

Yeah you're right, that's exactly what Mary will do, logic or even a bit of experimentation won't come into it. I was just ( wishful ) thinking out loud as usual.

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul McGregor hoping for luck to shine on Dragons as St George Illawarra prepare to host Canterbury Bulldogs at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah on Sunday
  • Local Sport
    r0_213_5315_3213_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Marching home: The Dragons return to Kogarah to host Canterbury in front of the red V faithful on Sunday. Pictures: John Veage

• Paul McGregor believes there is more to come from his side - and is hoping for some luck to finally shine on the Dragons - after St George Illawarra battled their way through the opening month of the season.

The Dragons host Canterbury at Kogarah on Sunday looking to make it three wins in a row after they had lost their opening two matches.

The Saints have been forced to march all over the country in the opening month with trips to Townsville, Brisbane and Newcastle. The Dragons also had to battle a five-day turnaround for their defeat against South Sydney.

St George Illawarra have also had a number of personnel missing. Jack de Belin's unavailability was compounded when Tyson Frizell suffered a lacerated testicle in round one.

The Dragons then lost captain Gareth Widdop to a potentially season-ending shoulder dislocation.

r0_119_4134_2719_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Paul McGregor

St George Illawarra got home for their second golden point extra-time victory in as many weeks against Newcastle on Sunday night but it came at a cost. Young back-rower Jacob Host suffered a reoccurrence of an ankle injury, while Korbin Sims suffered a broken forearm in the win over the Knights.

Sims was to undergo surgery on Monday afternoon to stabilise the fracture and could be missing for up to eight weeks.

McGregor said he was pleased with his side's two wins, two losses start to the season despite the setbacks but hoped lady luck would eventually smile on the Dragons.

"The calendar was tough. The first two weeks especially when we went to North Queensland in the humidity and the heat. And then we had a five-day turn into Souths who we led 12-6 at half-time and just fell away," he said.

"We've had some key players missing as well. We've had some injuries in the first month. So for that side of it it's been a difficult ride.

"But the last two weeks just shows what the player's ability where they need to really show the right character at different stages. [Against Newcastle] was important because we were down to one person on the bench... and not once did their effort dip.

"So that's the real brave and important thing. The season is a journey of 25 rounds and finals. You'd like to think at some stage the luck will come our way. And we'll get some stability in our 17 which we haven't had for the first month."

The Dragons do not return to Netstrata Jubilee Stadium until August, with the Bulldogs clash their second of five home games at Kogarah this season.
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...ed-v-prepare-to-host-dogs-at-kogarah/?cs=1633

possm

Coach
I think if host is ok then Allgood for Leilua
I host bust the Allgood over him and Leilua plays
If Host is injured, even slightly injured, he should be rested. I really don't see how playing Allgood is in the long term interest of our squad. Leilua should be challenged to perform by the coaching staff who it seems, just want to be loved rather than make the hard decisions.

I suggest Aitken on the bench in place of Allgood, Lomax to centre or Robson on the bench and Aitken to Canterbury Cup.

possm

Coach
Crazy when we have Kerr, Allgood and Timm. Allgood was one of our best last week against a big Panthers pack, he wouldn't let us down.
Mary will probably play Leilua in the middle, not ideal but I actually wouldn't mind seeing how he handles that. One of JDB's strengths is that he has some ball playing skill and can be used in set plays in the middle or help spread the ball wide. I believe Leilua could fill that roll really well as well as short balls to fellow forwards or Dufty and Hunt. Don't forget Leilua is our heaviest forward at 116 kgs, a short stint in the middle shouldn't trouble him at all, could be a revelation.

The problem is that we would be looking to replace Host, a right side edge forward and K Sims a prop. Why move Lawrie from lock when he doing such a good job when we could replace K Sims with Kerr. Allgood is not a right edge forward.

So it seems that SGI is paying the price for the NRL's stand down of JDB. To date not cap relief, no compensation even though it was not SGI that stood him down.

Where is Millward and Johnston on this?

possm

Coach
Yeah you're right, that's exactly what Mary will do, logic or even a bit of experimentation won't come into it. I was just ( wishful ) thinking out loud as usual.

This would be the ideal time to play Robson or Aitken on the bench in place of either Host, if injured, or Leilua who is not match fit.

SGMax

Juniors
One prop on the bench? Another Mary'ism.

I noticed this also.
I expect Mary will be forced to play Frizell at lock and free Lawrie to be part of the prop rotation.
Anything else looks out of balance.
I dream about a full strength squad of forwards playing together.

BLM01

First Grade
The problem is that we would be looking to replace Host, a right side edge forward and K Sims a prop. Why move Lawrie from lock when he doing such a good job when we could replace K Sims with Kerr. Allgood is not a right edge forward.

So it seems that SGI is paying the price for the NRL's stand down of JDB. To date not cap relief, no compensation even though it was not SGI that stood him down.

The Bahamas right this minute looking for our next speedy winger

slippery5

Juniors
Cannot have two backrowers on the bench.
Allgood has to play in front of Leilua!
CC
Leilua should be prop rotation instead of Lats. He is a huge unit with more speed & I believe could be a ball playing (Beetson type) & it takes a lot to pull him down. He wouldn't be isolated by the quicker outside backs attacking him on the edge.
Before some say he is too lazy, with Graham by his side to learn from & guide him through, could be a master stroke. What have we got to lose?

Como Connection

First Grade
Leilua should be prop rotation instead of Lats. He is a huge unit with more speed & I believe could be a ball playing (Beetson type) & it takes a lot to pull him down. He wouldn't be isolated by the quicker outside backs attacking him on the edge.
Before some say he is too lazy, with Graham by his side to learn from & guide him through, could be a master stroke. What have we got to lose?
In defence.
CC

Old Timer

Coach

Honestly possum sometimes your posts make no sense.
Host is selected in the squad, so he should start the game at right edge and start Frizz at lock and Lawrie goes back to the front row rotation.
Lawrie is playing out of position at lock and should be left to play his best position namely prop.
Whilst lock is not TF's best position his motor is big enough to handle the requirements of the position and play big minutes
Kerr comes into the team on the bench for the injured K Sims.
Only decision for coach should be Leilua or Latimore as we all know that Lomax will fill one bench spot so only 3 forwards will be picked.
Re Lawrie IMO he should start the game and Graham come off the bench when Vaughan has a spell and Kerr rotates with Lawrie.
Then you have the correct balance of older and younger players.

getsmarty

Immortal
bel_facebook.jpg

DRAGONS

Behind Enemy Lines: Round 5
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 10 Apr 2019, 02:03 PM

Canterbury-Bankstown coach Dean Pay has named his mandatory 21-man squad ahead of the Bulldogs Round 5 clash against the St George Illawarra Dragons at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah on Sunday, April 14.

Dylan Napa (ankle) is the big omission for the Bulldogs as Ofahiki Ogden gears up for his maiden NRL start and Sauaso Sue returns on the interchange.

Bulldogs NRL squad for Round 5 v Dragons –

1. Nick Meaney

2. Jayden Okunbor

3. Kerrod Holland

4. Will Hopoate

5. Reimis Smith

6. Jack Cogger

7. Lachlan Lewis

8. Aiden Tolman

9. Jeremy Marshall-King

10. Ofahiki Ogden

11. Josh Jackson

12. Corey Harawira-Naera

13. Rhyse Martin

Interchange:

14. Michael Lichaa

15. Sauaso Sue

16. Adam Elliott

17. Chris Smith

18. Danny Fualalo

19. Marcelo Montoya

20. Raymond Faitala-Mariner

21. Fa'amanu Brown

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/10/behind-enemy-lines-round-5/

getsmarty

Immortal
mcinnes-c-190407101sm.jpg

DRAGONS

McInnes drawing on lessons from Inglis and Burgess in captaincy role
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 10 Apr 2019, 05:01 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Dragons captain Cameron McInnes is determined to ensure teammates show the same faith in the rookies called in to cover for the club’s injured stars that Greg Inglis and Sam Burgess had in him at South Sydney.

McInnes, who has taken over the captaincy in the absence of injured playmaker Gareth Widdop, debuted for the Rabbitohs in 2014 and he said the likes of Inglis, Burgess and Issac Luke had welcomed him into the team.

With Widdop (shoulder) and forward recruit Korbin Sims (broken arm) injured and NSW Origin lock Jack de Belin stood down under the NRL’s "no-fault stand down" policy, the Dragons' depth is being severely tested.

Test forward Tyson Frizell missed two matches with a testicular injury, while second-rower Jacob Host is in doubt for Sunday’s match against Canterbury due to an ankle injury.

If Host is ruled out, prop Josh Kerr is expected to be called onto the bench for his second NRL match after an 18-minute debut against Souths in Round 2.

"We are a very positive playing group," McInnes said after helping to launch the club’s "Be The Best You Can Be" stage 3 and 4 curriculum-based primary school resource on Wednesday.

Norman wins it in golden-point again

"We have lost a couple of key players but we are a fighting team and there are a couple of guys who have got opportunities for us.

"Whoever steps in will do a job for us because that is the culture we have created here. We work hard for each other and we all have faith in anyone who comes into our squad.

"With Blake Lawrie, everyone backed him to do the job in the starting position and he is doing a great job at No.13. With Josh Kerr, everyone had his back and we were rapt for him."

McInnes said his role as captain was to make sure that only did the rookies feel the other players had confidence in them to do the job but also believed they belonged at NRL level.

"That’s a big thing and when I was a young guy coming through at Souths I was lucky to have guys like Sam Burgess, Greg Inglis and Issac Luke, as well, who made me feel like I was ready for it," McInnes said.

"They all made me feel that I was worthy and that I wasn’t just there because of an injury, I was there because I was the man to do the job.

"As a young guy, when you feel that from guys who have done it already it just gives you that lift because you have got guys who have got that experience and know what they are talking about showing belief in you."

While McInnes is captain, he shares the leadership duties with James Graham and Frizell, who returned in last weekend’s 19-18 defeat of Newcastle.

It was St George Illawarra’s second golden-point win in as many weeks and five-eighth Corey Norman kicked the extra-time field goal on both occasions.

"You can’t replace Gareth Widdop but having Corey in the side makes a huge difference. He is just so calm and relaxed on the field," McInnes said. "Matt Dufty got an opportunity and I thought he played really, really well.

More than one player needed to kick game-winning field goals

"We will get Gareth back at some stage and when we do we want to be in the best position we can."

McInnes is also hoping to be an inspiration for primary school students after speaking to a class at Hayes Park Public School about goal setting as part of St George Illawarra’s “The Best You Can Be” program.

Other themes addressed by club mates Euan Aitken, Kezie Apps, Tim Lafai, Zac Lomax, and Jess Sergis included body image, resilience, respect, goal setting, cyber safety, hydration and nutrition, sleep, friendship and being active.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...ns-from-inglis-and-burgess-in-captaincy-role/

possm

Coach

Yes, with the right instruction and coaching, Leilua would make a great prop. The only problem is that we have a long line of young props, Lawrie, Kerr, Timm and down the track Blacker whereas, our back row stocks have been diminished with the stand down of JDB and injury of K Sims. Host may also be playing injured.

Latest posts