What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 Vs Eels

WestyLife

First Grade
It will be 22 straight games to win the comp. no NSW Cup. I’d rather come 8th with a rested full strength side then go hard and burn out

We finished 5-8 3 times under Griffin and where did that get us.Knocked out 2nd week every time it's too hard to win a comp from there.How many yrs are we gonna waste to win a comp we have the team to win it this yr we need to strike while the irons hot. As a supporter my aim is to win the comp each yr not try and finish 7th don't know about you guys.

It's well known you can't win the comp from outside the top 4. Well it's unlikely at best.

franklin2323

Immortal
It's well known you can't win the comp from outside the top 4. Well it's unlikely at best.

A couple of things we don’t have the roster to win it this year. Secondly you can’t compare this year to other years and as we are seeing you can tell the difference when changes are made with how undedone the fringe guys are

franklin2323

Immortal
We finished 5-8 3 times under Griffin and where did that get us.Knocked out 2nd week every time it's too hard to win a comp from there.How many yrs are we gonna waste to win a comp we have the team to win it this yr we need to strike while the irons hot. As a supporter my aim is to win the comp each yr not try and finish 7th don't know about you guys.

It is impossible to have the roster to win the comp every year.
We are the 4th youngest squad in the comp. even younger when finally Mansour and Whare are moved on.
A new hooker that hasn’t played with the fullback yet. Still to settle on our 5/8th

So we have got other concerns then making the GF

WestyLife

First Grade
A couple of things we don’t have the roster to win it this year. Secondly you can’t compare this year to other years and as we are seeing you can tell the difference when changes are made with how undedone the fringe guys are

We look like we can go with anyone this year so I don't agree about the roster. It's not perfect of course but I do believe Edwards will suit the new rules. Fittest player at the club who isn't as quick as the fastest guys in the comp but is going to worry the tired forwards as he often beats the first defender and has excellent support play.

The_Frog

First Grade
On the laws of averages, it is very difficult. Only two of the bottom 4 survive the first week anyway against all 4 from the top 4. But it has happened once and one day it will happen again.

franklin2323

Immortal
We look like we can go with anyone this year so I don't agree about the roster. It's not perfect of course but I do believe Edwards will suit the new rules. Fittest player at the club who isn't as quick as the fastest guys in the comp but is going to worry the tired forwards as he often beats the first defender and has excellent support play.

Law of averages suggests that Crichton’s misses on Blake won’t be the last and it will take time to get combinations. Remembering 4 less games this year to get that right makes top 4 very unlikely

WestyLife

First Grade
Law of averages suggests that Crichton’s misses on Blake won’t be the last and it will take time to get combinations. Remembering 4 less games this year to get that right makes top 4 very unlikely

Yes but you're talking like it effects Panthers in isolation. Everyone has the same issues with the new competition structure. Look at Storm they're struggling to attack without a real halfback and only just beat the knights who spent the entire first half dropping the ball and even then they needed a dodgy call or two from the officials to make sure of it. Raiders struggled against the Tigers and lost the week before. Eels only beat us on a few bad individual mistakes not structural issues. Roosters would be a team to fear but no one else has my seriously terrified to play.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes but you're talking like it effects Panthers in isolation. Everyone has the same issues with the new competition structure. Look at Storm they're struggling to attack without a real halfback and only just beat the knights who spent the entire first half dropping the ball and even then they needed a dodgy call or two from the officials to make sure of it. Raiders struggled against the Tigers and lost the week before. Eels only beat us on a few bad individual mistakes not structural issues. Roosters would be a team to fear but no one else has my seriously terrified to play.

I doesn’t affect just us. What Storm and Roosters have that we don’t are proven structures. Senior players in key positions and experience in those positions too.

So come finals no way they can’t win the comp from 5-8th. Us, Knights etc are developing sides and are far from that level yet

Hooked

Juniors
It was no surprise to me our forwards were fatigued in the last 20 mins.We lost capewell early then we didn't use Burton till the last 10 mins of the game.So we only used 15 players for 70 mins it's not the 1st time Cleary has killed our bench rotation.Burton should have come on at 10-0 luai to hooker and api a well earned break.

I concur.

The_Frog

First Grade
Dally M points from this match:
Matterson 3, Blake 2, Yeo 1.

Surprised Moses didn't get points. It was his pinpoint kicking that gave them the run of possession they needed to score their tries.

Kilkenny

Coach
As I said above, iv’e been a bit flat for a couple of days and haven’t come on here, haven’t watched the reply or highlights, avoided everything basically but I just watched Ivan’s press conference a moment ago. The last question he fielded was on the Dean Whare no try ruling. Is it just my bias or where we dudded big time on that call? Are we now rubbing out tires for what Dean allegedly did or is the case inconsistency will be the order of the day and in Round 6 we will see similar, but tries will be awarded.

ACTPanthers

Bench
As I said above, iv’e been a bit flat for a couple of days and haven’t come on here, haven’t watched the reply or highlights, avoided everything basically but I just watched Ivan’s press conference a moment ago. The last question he fielded was on the Dean Whare no try ruling. Is it just my bias or where we dudded big time on that call? Are we now rubbing out tires for what Dean allegedly did or is the case inconsistency will be the order of the day and in Round 6 we will see similar, but tries will be awarded.
Considering Ferguson had a similar one go against him earlier in the contest, it was never going to be a try

Kilkenny

Coach
Considering Ferguson had a similar one go against him earlier in the contest, it was never going to be a try

As I say, haven’t had the balls to watched the whole game replay or highlights reel, but was not Fergusons a blatant indiscretion as opposed to Whare’s which was much more competing in the contest?

Kilkenny

Coach
I think the thing that was so disappointing for me personally watching the game against the Eels was other than the six minutes that cost us the game, we were pretty good, in a game described as being potentially the best since the games return.

If there was a concern out of the contest it was the rather underwhelming performance of Tamou in a game where we needed our leader/captain to stand up and while recognising he has been good for us in his four years at the club perhaps this was a game that maybe, just maybe, confirms why we need to move on from him and accept his best days are behind him.

ACTPanthers

Bench
As I say, haven’t had the balls to watched the whole game replay or highlights reel, but was not Fergusons a blatant indiscretion as opposed to Whare’s which was much more competing in the contest?
If you watch it, the difference in them is minimal, and both were rightfully disallowed. Well, IMO anyway.

Kilkenny

Coach
If you watch it, the difference in them is minimal, and both were rightfully disallowed. Well, IMO anyway.

Fair enough. I’ll cop it from one of our own.

I just can’t help feel the inconsistency will kick in and we will see tries awarded for similar indiscretions in the weeks ahead.

PS Haven’t got the gumption to watch it again, just can’t bring myself to do it!!! Still gutted.

Panther Pete

Juniors
I am with you on this. I haven’t watched it again since Friday night but at the time I thought it was a fair call to disallow it as the contact did prevent the Parra player from contesting the ball.