What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 vs. Titans Discussion + Voting

Morkel

Juniors
A couple of things to consider:

1) Dave Hala. Watched him in the 20s and he carved up. Big minutes, big impact, looked a cut above the rest. In first grade, looks nothing more than a bumbling hulk, has zero footwork so drops like a cut tree as soon as a 70kg half grabs his boots, and plays maybe 15 minutes of a game. Dunamis Lui, haven't seen anything from him that says 'pick me each week'.

2) Prince. Big fan of his. Wallace has been getting all the assists next to his name, but Prince's running game has been setting them up. Still, no where near what I expected from him (his first half against Manly was good). My thought is that in bulking him up, getting him stronger and more useful in defence is physically slowing his running game and simultaneously tiring him quicker with the higher workload. I HATE hiding someone in defence, they should be able to hold their own, but it looks to me that Prince needs a bodyguard. Gillett should be able to do it, attempted shoulder charges notwithstanding, but maybe needs a bit more. I would say we need an aggressive, impact-driven back-rower on the bench to come on at the 25-minute mark on each half, really pound the opposition, force traffic away from Prince so he can get a breather and really take on the opposing defenders with a bit of wind in his sails. Problem is, no one in our team fits that mould. Not a recognised FGer anyway. Anyone from the 20's or feeder clubs that could cop 2 10-15 minute stints of mayhem? Ryan James, want a Broncos jersey???

Big Pete

Referee
I disagree on Hala. While he isn't the player he was in the NYC (I knew somebody was there cheering him on with me :p) he's definitely had the ability to bend the line and build momentum for the side. Granted, he's yet to really build any form in first grade but he has had to contend with a lot of injuries. As far as I'm concerned, this year it's now or never and I really hope it's now.

Lui hasn't been the same player since 2010 sad to say.

Morkel

Juniors
I disagree on Hala. While he isn't the player he was in the NYC (I knew somebody was there cheering him on with me :p) he's definitely had the ability to bend the line and build momentum for the side. Granted, he's yet to really build any form in first grade but he has had to contend with a lot of injuries. As far as I'm concerned, this year it's now or never and I really hope it's now.

Lui hasn't been the same player since 2010 sad to say.

Well let's hope he proves me wrong tonight. He'll be up against an almost all-rep forward pack, what better place to earn your scars?

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Hala has never had a proper chance due to injury. Anyway he has shown infinitely more potential than Lui in his very limited game time.

I agree with BP. He needs to perform this year. If he picks up another serious injury then he has to go. It's harsh to admit but we are/have been carrying a few guys with serious injuries.

Big Pete

Referee
Let's hope so Morkel but let's not write him off if he doesn't either. Ruptured patella tendon isn't something you just bounce back from.

Big Pete

Referee
Actually, he snapped it on the back of a fleet footed line-break, perhaps it justified his running style. :p

Bretto

Bench
Very happy with the result and the performance tonight. Parker is looking much better and with Thaiday back next week we're looking ominous now. Hard to think after our form only 2 weeks ago. I've got heaps more to say but I might wait till I have a better think about it.

3. Norman
2. Parker
1. Hoffman

unbreaK

Juniors
3. Parker
2. Norman
1. Hoffman

Good performance, hopefully we've got Thaiday and McGuire (?) back next week to give us a bit more go forward early on, I think we can beat the Cowboys.

Nightward

Juniors
Much better performance this week. The past two games have really shown how badly Thaiday has been underperforming for us both positionally and in his leadership as well as the importance of the forwards laying a decent platform. Wallace, Prince, and McCullough didn't suddenly transform into much better players, they just had more to work with.

3. Parker
2. McCullough
1. Reed

Nerd

Bench
Now there's a second half to remember.

I think Hoffman and Reed are forming a good combination on the left hand side.

Being fair to the Titans losing their 5/8 yesterday would have hurt their attack.

Chainshada

Juniors
Some very good signs this game, I still don't think Prince is performing well enough to keep his spot in the side long term. Starting props and parker were good, Some good vision from Hunt in Reed's almost try, but other than that I think our bench was unimpressive. 3 Hit ups, 3 tackles, 3 missed tackles and Hala comes off? If that's all he can handle he's obviously not fit enough, put him back in QLD cup for a few more months.

If Parker can handle that workload (18 Hitups for 180m), I hope we move him to prop, and have Thaiday back in 2nd Row with Gillett or Glenn Lock. Maranta is far to slow and ungainly, if Kemp is fit, he deserves a shot outside Hodges. Didn't really get a chance to see much of Slyney, wouldn't mind him getting a shot next week too.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Fantastic effort tonight. That defense was monumental in the second half. I'm becoming more and more optimistic about our efforts as time goes on. Lets be honest, we should really be 3 from 5. If it weren't for that bullshit with Thaiday being held in the scrum last week, who knows how the game would've turned out. And how about that left hand attack? Reed and Hoffman are quickly becoming our sharpest fangs.

The only thing I think we missed out on to put icing on the cake was getting to watch Hodges belt the shit out of that bleach blonde merkin.

Last edited:

Chainshada

Juniors
True, it's not as bleak as some (even myself) have been making out, while our win/loss isn't great, atleast we haven't been blown off the park by anyone, never more than 8 points in our 3 losses.

AHAHA just saw the photo of Dave Taylor in the Broncos dressing room having a beer after the game..gotta love the guy.

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
We got some luck with Sezer being ruled out, the Titans attack looked terrible. If it wasnt for a bad missed tackle and a crash over from dummy half we could have kept them to 0.

But don't take anything away from the Broncos, it was a very impressive display indeed. Hoffman is really making the wing spot his own (and this is important as we are lacking depth in the area). Norman is proving some right (not me by the way!) that fullback is his better spot for the team. He is handling the backline movements much better than what Hoffman would. But his kick returns was something that impressed me tonight, but seemed to run back with more heart and more urgency.

Reed and Gillett starting to stand up again.

3. Norman
2. Gillett
1. Hoffman

If I had to say some bad comment (and this could be a little unfair), it would be that the more I see of Maranta the more average I think he is. Sure he hasn't been given much space, but he hasn't even shown any footwork, like, for example Hoffman who at least manages to poke his head through the line with his footwork. Doesn't have blistering pace, no real footwork, not a big strong guy, not a great leaper for the high ball, not sure what he has going for him.... I mean, he is doing his job, so keep him there for the moment, but it's an area that we should really look to improve on. Hope Yow Yeh comes back one day...

blaza88z

Coach
True, it's not as bleak as some (even myself) have been making out, while our win/loss isn't great, atleast we haven't been blown off the park by anyone, never more than 8 points in our 3 losses.

AHAHA just saw the photo of Dave Taylor in the Broncos dressing room having a beer after the game..gotta love the guy.

That's nice of Dave, was he there with Andrew Gee.. and.. a pen.. and paper.. and his manager.. :roll::roll:

unbreaK

Juniors
Pretty funny that the 3 players who were all awesome in 2010/2011 and then dreadful in 2012 are all playing well again (Hoffman, Reed, Gillett)

Anyone know if McG is back next week?

renouf

Juniors
It definitely showed out there we're much better off with Prince in the side, with him, Norman and Wallace (in that order) we've got some options and we can put good tries on.

Latest posts