What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 - What team would you run with?

Randy81

Juniors
I would have had Mose Masoe in the team, but I thought he was injured until Round 6 or 7. Would help our front row rotation and keeping a strong second row if he was available (or Latimore).

But at the moment I think our only chance is making Sika Manu a hybrid FR/SR like Nigel Plum is at the moment. The second Masoe is available though, that starting 13 looks absolutely awesome until we welcome James Roberts back from injury. At which point Brad Tighe will hopefully be the weakest link and make way for him to play where he seemed to be destined in the pre-season.

Really impressed with Humble... his form in the trials was shocking and his selection ahead of Austin was disappointing. But his form in his two games has been very promising and makes me hopeful of having someone to get rid of Walsh for good.

Mose is out due to his wife having a baby I believe.

marty65

Juniors
The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that Walsh has to go. Have a look at his "contribution" today.
1) Goes for his 1st run in weeks. Gets over the try line, and forgets to hold on to the ball.
2) Throws a beautiful pass for a try....unfortunately it was behind his own players...and the intercept try went to the Gold Coast.
3) His defence was atrocious.
4) Despite all the attacking opportunities, we lacked organisation (whose fault is that, if not the halfback?).

I think its time to try the Austin/Humble halves combination.

chrisD

Coach
Walsh put in a lot of good attacking kicks today, if Simmons wasn't such a gumby we could have gotten more than 1 try from them like we should have, but his attacking kicking has been inconsistent of late and it can't carry the rest of his non-existent game.

Randy81

Juniors
Why is it so hard for the people who matter to see this?

Fair dinkum doing my head in. It is like we deliberately leave out the best options until the season is gone. How matt Robinson is continually overlooked for the likes of smith newton and ciraldo is unbelievable

franklin2323

Immortal
Why is it so hard for the people who matter to see this?

It's crazy. Even only adding John & Austin to the squad named gives you this:

Humble.
Mansour.
Tighe.
Whare.
Naiqama.
Austin.
John.
Docker.
Brown.
Plum.
Manu.
Smith.
Ciraldo:

Segegayo.
Grant.
McKendry.
Robinson.

Gives you impact. New spine but the same core that seem to be in favour.

franklin2323

Immortal
Walsh put in a lot of good attacking kicks today, if Simmons wasn't such a gumby we could have gotten more than 1 try from them like we should have, but his attacking kicking has been inconsistent of late and it can't carry the rest of his non-existent game.

His 1st half was decent. A couple of runs, Decent kicks, a nice cutout to put Brown away. The 2nd half was terrible though.

marty65

Juniors
Docker as prop?? I dont see him as prop. Too small.
I have him in the 2nd row or on the bench.
No Ciraldo or Smith for me either.

Randy81

Juniors
It's crazy. Even only adding John & Austin to the squad named gives you this:

Humble.
Mansour.
Tighe.
Whare.
Naiqama.
Austin.
John.
Docker.
Brown.
Plum.
Manu.
Smith.
Ciraldo:

Segegayo.
Grant.
McKendry.
Robinson.

Gives you impact. New spine but the same core that seem to be in favour.

Not a bad idea. Humble would be very dangerous at fb.

franklin2323

Immortal
Docker as prop?? I dont see him as prop. Too small.
I have him in the 2nd row or on the bench.
No Ciraldo or Smith for me either.

He's playing prop now off the bench I would rather start him in that case & have actual props on the bench. Not my ideal team it was the team named with the Windsor halves.

I am assuming Weston's on the never get picked list now along with a few others. Sad really I rate him.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not a bad idea. Humble would be very dangerous at fb.

Yeah he was a fb when Parra signed him. Clearly quick enough these days fb getting involved is the norm. Allows Whare to centres gives another playmaker if John/Austin is struggling.

As for the pack not the best given Masoe, Weston, Cherrington etc seem out of favour probably the most effective we have.

NO! Humble while not great has actually shown something at 5/8 so dont change it. In saying that Wha re isnt a fullback, shame Roberts is out. Moylan has to get a shot you'd think but we never seem to give players a go. We just play average players over and over expecting something to change

Big Mick

Referee
On Panthers Weekly Don Feltis hinted that when James Roberts gets back he'll be fullback. He said Gus and Ivan really rate him.

So hopefully that'll solve a couple of problems.

Karnivayne

Juniors
1. Matt Moylan
2. Josh Mansour
3. Dean Whare
4. Brad Tighe
5. Travis Robinson / Eto Nabuli
6. Tom Humble
7. Blake Austin
8. Sam McKendry
9. Kevin Kingston
10. Tim Grant
11. Sika Manu
12. Lewis Brown
13. Nigel Plum

RES:
14. James Segeyaro
15. Matt Robinson
16. Adam Docker
17. Clint Newton

Randy81

Juniors
NO! Humble while not great has actually shown something at 5/8 so dont change it. In saying that Wha re isnt a fullback, shame Roberts is out. Moylan has to get a shot you'd think but we never seem to give players a go. We just play average players over and over expecting something to change

I think he has shown he deserves to be in fg. Though his best attributes appear to be when he is in broken play where he can use his Illusiveness and speed. At fb we may see it even more. If it means we get whare at centre and Austin at 5/8 then surely it is worth it

Big Mick

Referee
I'd rather him try halfback and utilise his running game there. Use Austin at five-eight. Bring Moylan in as another playmaker and actual passer for those set plays near the line where the pass has so far this year broken down when it got to Whare.

Use Whare at centre replacing Wes who has been caught out badly defensively a few times.

I agree with Franklin that we need beef on the bench but while Docker and Plum are fantastic players I believe we can really only carry one as both are particularly limited in attack.

I'd much rather a Docker, Mose, Robinson, Segeyaro bench. Size as well as impact off the bench is what we lack.

maple_69

Bench
I don't mind the idea of starting Brown at 9.
At the moment we're playing Kingston at hooker for 20 minutes before shifting him to the second row for the rest of the game. He is not a second rower and we are wasting that role on the field with someone who is not suited. Brown at least will provide adequate service and then will slot into a role he is suited to for the remainder of the game.

I think we have to be realistic about our halves issues. They are not going to pick Austin, Humble or Moylan at halfback. I think our only shot is John partnering one of the other guys.

Also can see them 'solving' the fullback issue by switching Wes and Whare which would be one step forward one back. Hoping Moylan or even Moss gets a crack.

Honestly where do you start though. Fullback, centre, centre, wing, halfback, hooker, lock, bench, bench are all in urgent need of improvement.

Big Mick

Referee
If we are going to make that move then we may as well just start Segeyaro. Why minimise Lewis Brown's talents by making him play 9 for 20 minutes.

I'd be fine with Wes playing fullback and Whare playing Centre. I wanted that at the start of the year.