What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 - Rabbitohs vs Bulldogs: Friday 15th April 4:00pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Taaffe: Was pretty damn good!! Decent running game, didn't get dominated on his kick returns like he has in the past and went looking for work coming out of our own end at times. Looked very slippery on a few runs. I would have liked to have seen him chime into the backline in attack more but when he did inject himself, he made the most of it. Great set up play by him for AJ's first, the subtle double-pump before passing was all class. Had a few nice tip-ons throughout the game too and looked generally dangerous. I thought his positional play was good at the back and he was safe under the high ball for the most part. There was two he let bounce though which wasn't so good, one of which cost us a try so he needs to be better there. I was also a little disappointed in his defensive effort on the Naden no try but thankfully it didn't cost us. Did do really well to hold Burns up at one stage in the first half. Then finally, his goal kicking was about as good as it gets!! Outstanding!! Got all of his kicks easily it seemed and some of them were from the sideline!! So still heaps to work on for Taaffey but he did a pretty good job.

Johnston: AJ was pretty solid. Only made 69 meters with the ball but watching it live, it felt like he did way more than that. A few of those runs were really strong, beating guys with footwork and speed. A couple of beautiful finishes for both his tries too. He was pretty solid defensively, I know we got caught out on that right edge in the first half but that wasn't AJ's fault, he had to follow his inside men. There was plenty of other times where he did well to shut down the play. Not a bad effort AJ!

Milne: Not bad, pretty decent. it probably wasn't Taane's best game but that's not to say he was bad at all. Strong carries as always coming out of our end and he made plenty of meters on each run. Unfortunately didn't get much clean ball chances in attack so didn't offer a lot there. However, I thought his decoy work was really good, in both of AJ's tries he executed his role perfectly there. The negatives of his night were the one error he made and I thought his defence looked a bit shaky. Hesitated in defence which contributed to the Dogs' first try, rushed in a few times when he didn't need to and got stood up completely by Burns at one stage in the first half. Would have been a try if it wasn't for some desperate cover defence. So still plenty to work on for Taane but he was okay.

Graham: Outstanding once again! Been so bloody impressed with him this year and that continued yesterday. Was huge with the tough carries, got through a tone of work there as he constantly put his hand up for a run. They were all quality carries too. Stretch ran for 107 meters which topped the run meters for the outside backs. Looked very dangerous when he had the ball in a bit of space all game and found some joy down the right edge when he ran that beautiful line off Lachie and cut straight through, making a break and then put on a beautiful pass for Cookie to score. That was lovely work from Campbell. he was huge in defence yet again too, basically nothing got passed him. Another Round, another week of being one of our top players for Stretch. Hope he keeps it up!

Mansour: Gotta hand it to Sauce, he's been very solid since he's returned and that was the case again yesterday arvo. He didn't do anything special by any means but he certainly didn't let anyone down. While his run meters were a little disappointing with just 50, he still had a couple of good carries. I think he runs sideways a bit much though. Very safe under the high ball which was a welcome surprise and did his job without the ball. We can certainly expect more from Josh but he wasn't too bad.

Walker: Better, much better. Finally showed glimpses of the Cody we all know and love on a more regular basis throughout the game and he didn't drift in and out like he has at times this year. he looked more confident and backed himself. Plenty of his plays finally came off, most notably for AJ's tries. Played his role beautifully in the backline shift for the first and then it was all Cody for the second, that was a brilliant double cut out pass to put AJ over. We haven't seen that a lot this year but it was good to see Cody finally back himself again and pull the trigger. It was perfect and came off well. Aside from those he was demanding the Footy as he had the most touches of anyone on the field and he put on a few other nice plays as well. I wouldn't say "he's back" because there was a few times he took the wrong option through hesitation. A few errors, wrong passes or dying with the ball. However, he did shows signs of gaining confidence and improving. Let's hope that's the game that sparks him.

Ilias: Very good once again. Probably not his flashiest performance of the Season so far but he was still very good none the less. Ball playing looked pretty slick and while he didn't get any try assists, he did threaten to a couple of times. Great ball to put Campbell away in the lead up to Cookie's second try, that was awesome, all class. His combination with Cody is flourishing too. His kicking game was good without being great, that's the big area he needs to work on but I'm sure that will continue to improve. I'd like to see him try to add some big floating bombs to his skill set. Defence very good again. I'm loving his development.

callmack1

Staff member
Tatola: His best game of the Season so far I reckon. Certainly a big improvement on recent outings. In past games, he's seemed to slow down just before hitting the line but I didn't see any of that yesterday as he ran hard and with aggression. 15 runs for 139 meters along with 33 tackles is a very good effort. Time to build on that Junior!

Cook: Wow, what a game from Cookie!! Almost back to his best!! He was dynamite all game. Didn't have a lot of runs and didn't actually run for a huge amount of meters but it was the timing of his runs and the output of his runs that was just quality. Picked his moments beautifully. Scored a well deserved hat-trick, the first of his career which was awesome to see! His first was a play we've really seen from Cookie as it was a barge over the line from close range. Had a lot of work to do there to beat two defenders and get the ball down. Minutes later he was over again as he showed some great effort support play to back up Campbell Graham and put himself in a position to score. The try to complete his hat-trick was all him though as he identified that the defenders were sliding off him after the scrum and had eyes for Lachie, he then cut back inside and went straight over. All brilliant plays from Damien, so good to see him backing himself and running again. On top of this, his defensive effort was massive too as he topped the tackle count with 34 tackles. What a performance Cookie, man of the match for sure. He's in good form now but the trick is doing it on a consistent basis.

Burgess: Honestly, in a dominant pack, I thought he was a bit underwhelming. Just didn't get through the work that he normally does and he lacked a bit of effort. Don't get me wrong, he did have some huge carries but in the end has just 9 runs for 89 meters.

Koloamatangi: Didn't particularly stand out in this game at first glance but when you go back, watch the replay and look at the stats, it was a very impressive performance. Hard, aggressive runs and plenty of them! 16 runs for 156 meters is a huge effort, and he went about it with little fuss and no errors. Threatened to break through off Lachie a couple of times. Pretty good defensively too. The only real negative of his night was the lead run he mucked up for Mansour's disallowed try.

Arrow: Was probably effected by that facial wound a little and lack of preparation because of it but Jai was a little below his standards yesterday too, especially in his first stint where he struggled to make an impact and came up with an error in our half. His second stint was better though I gotta say, he found a bit of rhythm there and made a solid contribution. Got his meters up to 130 which was awesome to see. Great defensively as always. So he probably wasn't as good as he has been but honestly, the bloke deserves a big pat on the back for just being out there after the week he's had.

Murray: Cam individually didn't seem to have as big an influence on the game as he normally does. However, the thing is, even when I say that, his slightly less impactful performances are probably still better than what a lot of forwards in the NRL could produce. Still had a big contribution to laying the platform with some huge runs for quick play-the-balls and he still made a fair amount of meters with 136, I just didn't feel like it was the super impactful performance from him we've become used to. Made a couple of poor passes which lead to errors. He was still pretty good and I guess we can't expect him to be amazing all the time.

Sele: Wow, what a return game for Hame!!! Aside from the one error he made because he wasn't looking at the ball, he was enormous! It's no coincidence that him and Knight came on and we started to get on top of them, the game started to turn in our favour. It was Hame's impact off the bench that helped trigger that. proved so hard to put down and he put everything into every run he made, constantly pumping those big legs after contact for plenty of post-contact meters. Made 128 off 11 carries. I just loved him off the bench, he has to stay in the 17!!

Host: Not as big of an impact off the bench but still did his job and was ever reliable as always. 8 runs for 70 meters and he did threaten the line a couple times. No issues in defence either which was good.

Knight: Close to man of the match for mine. Seriously, he was that good!! I haven't seen him play like that in years, it was fantastic!! came on, got straight into it and never looked back. Made a huge impact off the bench and played a massive hand in us gaining momentum. He ran so hard, so direct and just refused to stop on his way to a massive 202 meters. Well done Knighty, it was a pleasure to watch!!

Tass: Speaking of pleasures to watch, Tass' debut was very impressive! Only got about 16 minutes I know but he did really show something in that 16 minutes I thought. Went looking for the ball and had some really strong touches as a result, looked likely and looked a threat at centre which is what we've been lacking. What an effort to beat a couple of tackles and get a try on debut!!! So good for the young fulla, a special night and I'm really hoping he can nail down that left centre spot in time.

So all in all, a very good performance from the team. It was exactly what we wanted to see. Still areas we can improve of course but Good Friday was a step in the right direction. Great to see us finally dominate a game.

southsport

First Grade
Just watching my recording of the panfers game and they said that Cook's grandfather passed away the week leading up to that game.

Latest posts