What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 v Silvertails

maple_69

Bench
All this just to carry a winger on the bench, martin is an 80 minute edge backrower, why shift so many postions unnecessarily, Chricton leaves next season, Tiny might shift to centre, and Turuva on the wing, or vice verca, tago staying in the centres ensures we aren't without an experienced centre out there, we should never weaken multiple spots, when it would be easier to carry a 2nd row option on the bench, to me thats Sorrenson, he showed enough last game to give us power on an edge, and offloads, something that we've been lacking since kiks went the dogs...
If you want jenkins to come in have him at no.18, a few HIAs one day will give him a shot, and then can do the hotshoe shuffle to get him on, otherwise stick with a versatile pack, have to remember we already salmon who covers centres,5/8th, backrow.. and we need 2 hookers, and 4 props
The intent here isn't to get Jenkins into the squad, its to free up the small number of dynamic players we have in the squad to play roles that utilise those abilities at times when they will be most effective, while allowing the harder working players to do the dirty stuff they do so well.

Martin is a prop playing 80 minutes on the edge which is a big reason our right edge is anaemic. Sure you can just leave him here and ignore his shortcomings or you can try to solve them. We've scored 2 tries per game outside of the complete capitulation Canberra offered, we won't be scoring more against the Roosters, Broncos & Storm unless we try things.

The intent here isn't to get Jenkins into the squad, its to free up the small number of dynamic players we have in the squad to play roles that utilise those abilities at times when they will be most effective, while allowing the harder working players to do the dirty stuff they do so well.

Martin is a prop playing 80 minutes on the edge which is a big reason our right edge is anaemic. Sure you can just leave him here and ignore his shortcomings or you can try to solve them. We've scored 2 tries per game outside of the complete capitulation Canberra offered, we won't be scoring more against the Roosters, Broncos & Storm unless we try things.
We also bombed as many tries each game as well. So the attack can't be all that bad.

betcats

Referee
Pictures of the panthers cultural showcase show fish with a full knee brace on his leg. Not sure if that means its serious or not...

Iamback

Coach

Good post. I agree with it all

Girds89

Bench
Pictures of the panthers cultural showcase show fish with a full knee brace on his leg. Not sure if that means its serious or not...
normally where that to stabilise the knee after a high grade MCL tear.

If it's a grade 3 he'll be about 6 weeks I reckon.

He didn't look good at the time.

Hopefully no acl injury as well.

It's frustrating the club don't let the fans know as they would've know the prognosis by about midday Monday I reckon.

Original Name

Juniors
Manly have a big pack. I'd think we'd want to shift the ball a bit in earlier tackles to avoid their team consolidating in defence and force the forwards to move a bit. Later in the game their middles will eventually drop off with their inside pressure if we keep the ball in play for large periods of time. Yeo will go deeper into the line then and that will create space to set up the outside backs.

Last time we targeted Saab every kick and drove him back. He made -2 post contact metres. Target him on first to get a slow ptb again. Probably be even more hesitant going into contact off the back of an acl. Can rush up on him. Wouldn't want to step that much first game back from an acl.

All we have to do to win is play to the usual game plan of completing high. Backs taking a lot of runs. Forwards resting so they can rush up in defence and we'll outwork them. Easier said than done depending on high aggressive their forwards are early. Need to hang in there if they win the ruck early on which they're definitely capable of doing.

Last edited:

Crashtest

Juniors
Martin is a prop playing 80 minutes on the edge which is a big reason our right edge is anaemic. Sure you can just leave him here and ignore his shortcomings or you can try to solve them.

Reading comments on here by some posters about Martin makes me think of the duck quote “If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck!”

Martin may have been a prop in his younger days, but as an edge forward, he has now won two premierships, a state of origin series and a World Cup. He is not a prop playing on an edge, he is a duck, AKA an edge forward.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Reading comments on here by some posters about Martin makes me think of the duck quote “If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck!”

Martin may have been a prop in his younger days, but as an edge forward, he has now won two premierships, a state of origin series and a World Cup. He is not a prop playing on an edge, he is a duck, AKA an edge forward.
Nope. You'll see once he moves in

Original Name

Juniors
Nope. You'll see once he moves in
Idk he just hits the line at prop and just doesn't seem to make a dent in the line when he's been there. Just somebody who gets through the work running the ball more than someone who makes an impact with it.

Whereas at second row the smaller less considilated guys who aren't as good at tackling have trouble tackling him.

But unless something radical happens, like Ivan being sacked and Iamback becomes head coach, that’s not going to happen any time soon.
To be fair it could be Freddy being sacked too and that seems more likely.

Mal’s expected longevity is probably somewhere between Ivan and Freddy.

Munky

Coach
Martin's first contact in defence isn't good enough for the middle.

He doesn't stick on a lot of hits.

While his line running isn't great he has got late footwork and is an aerial threat.

chrisD

Coach
I'm confident in Martin playing either position, and on the left fringe as well as the right, he has already played in all 3 successfully, it should just depend on what the team needs more. Hosking has some momentum on that right hand side after the last game, I would have left him there and moved Martin even if Martin were fit this week, and if Hosking can keep it up I'd leave him there.

I'm confident in Sorenson playing fringe or middle too.

snickers007

Juniors
Josh Schuster set to be ruled out again this week. Cooper Johns to come in at #6.

Johns is a terrible defender, so I hope we can get Hosking 1-on-1 with him a few times to run straight over him.

betcats

Referee
Josh Schuster set to be ruled out again this week. Cooper Johns to come in at #6.

Johns is a terrible defender, so I hope we can get Hosking 1-on-1 with him a few times to run straight over him.

The way that side defended against the knights last week we should be able to get Hosking to stroll through a big gap untouched.