What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs. Cowboys Discussion + Voting

Big Pete

Referee
Fair question CB.

My problems with both players vary. In regards to Wallace, I just believe he's an ordinary talent. If I was to judge him based on criteria, I'd imagine a lot of it would read 'fine' but barely any department of his game could be considered good or even great. He does a job and that's it. For a marquee player that simply isn't good enough for me. I also think he's terrible at organising our attack. At times, we look completely lost with him and the only play he seems capable of putting together is that third man shift to Norman which is pretty simple. Otherwise, he's responsible for us playing a boring one out brand of footy.

I honestly think Prince has been our worst player to date so far in 2013. His timing is terrible, kicking game mediocre and defensively he's giving the opposition a free ride basically everytime they run at him. I didn't have a problem with the club wanting to sign him in the hopes that it was the environment that had affected his game but it appears that he in fact was the root of the Titans problem. Aside from a decent passing game (when he times everything right) I don't think he offers anything other than a decent goal kicking percentage.

I'm not suggesting by any means that Hunt is going to fix us of all our problems. All those years of being developed as a hooker has stilted a lot of his skills and have prevented him from reaching his potential. However, I believe in the long term, Hunt can provide the team with the direction it's sorely lacking. His ability to organise in his brief stints allowed the Broncos to play their most attractive brand of football last year and I believe he could provide the exact same service this season if given the chance.

I also believe he has more vision than either player. As Chainshada stated, that kick for the corner was fantastic and his work in the Hoffman try should not go unnoticed either (a try by the way, Wallace nearly bombed).

Prince/Wallace will be named tomorrow under the belief that their combination is building and that they're the best halves in the squad at this present time. This could be true and I very much hope that they play to their ability but at this stage on what I've seen I don't believe they have that in them.

unbreaK

Juniors
http://www.nrl.com/norman-starring-...4/newsid/71583/default.aspx?pid=nrlhome_focus

Hodges joked the tactic was working because English international Jack Reed had finally learned how to pass the ball.

"With Reedy passing, after we taught him how to pass, Hoffy is starting to get a few tries on the board," smiled Hodges, who scored one himself.

At least everyone in the Broncos knows he was a ball hog as well, glad he's finally passing the ball, also, Thaiday and McGuire confirmed to be playing against Cowboys.

Chainshada

Juniors
2 games and Hoffman's 4th on leading try-scorer...damn, would I love to see a bronco top that list at the end of the year..how long has it been?

Good to see them back, just a little concerned over what our bench will be this weekend.

jakepearce94

Juniors
Fair question CB.

My problems with both players vary. In regards to Wallace, I just believe he's an ordinary talent. If I was to judge him based on criteria, I'd imagine a lot of it would read 'fine' but barely any department of his game could be considered good or even great. He does a job and that's it. For a marquee player that simply isn't good enough for me. I also think he's terrible at organising our attack. At times, we look completely lost with him and the only play he seems capable of putting together is that third man shift to Norman which is pretty simple. Otherwise, he's responsible for us playing a boring one out brand of footy.

I honestly think Prince has been our worst player to date so far in 2013. His timing is terrible, kicking game mediocre and defensively he's giving the opposition a free ride basically everytime they run at him. I didn't have a problem with the club wanting to sign him in the hopes that it was the environment that had affected his game but it appears that he in fact was the root of the Titans problem. Aside from a decent passing game (when he times everything right) I don't think he offers anything other than a decent goal kicking percentage.

I'm not suggesting by any means that Hunt is going to fix us of all our problems. All those years of being developed as a hooker has stilted a lot of his skills and have prevented him from reaching his potential. However, I believe in the long term, Hunt can provide the team with the direction it's sorely lacking. His ability to organise in his brief stints allowed the Broncos to play their most attractive brand of football last year and I believe he could provide the exact same service this season if given the chance.

I also believe he has more vision than either player. As Chainshada stated, that kick for the corner was fantastic and his work in the Hoffman try should not go unnoticed either (a try by the way, Wallace nearly bombed).

Prince/Wallace will be named tomorrow under the belief that their combination is building and that they're the best halves in the squad at this present time. This could be true and I very much hope that they play to their ability but at this stage on what I've seen I don't believe they have that in them.
i think it's a confidence thing with scotty, playing with a new team doesn't help much either. I've always been a big fan of his, and i've seen him when he is on his game. he is fantastic with the razzle dazzle stuff. i do believe him and norman could be our version of scotty and benji from the tigers 2005 premiership. could be worth a go if things get tough again ?

2 games and Hoffman's 4th on leading try-scorer...damn, would I love to see a bronco top that list at the end of the year..how long has it been?

Good to see them back, just a little concerned over what our bench will be this weekend.
just did a little research, we last topped the try tally in 1998 with darren smith(23), i thought berrigan topped it 5 or so years ago but he must have just got pipped.

Snappy

Coach
My mate tried to order some tickets today but there was only the nosebleed section left, so we let it be. I'll be watching on the telly.

Tickets in category White are still selling in level 5 (middle level) and can still get category blue in the lower level (section 326)

Last edited:

Chainshada

Juniors
Broncos

1 Corey Norman
2 Josh Hoffman
3 Jack Reed
4 Justin Hodges
5 Lachlan Maranta
6 Scott Prince
7 Peter Wallace
8 Ben Hannant
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Sam Thaiday (c)
11 Alex Glenn
12 Matt Gillett
13 Corey Parker

Interchange
14 Ben Hunt
15 Scott Anderson
16 David Hala
17 Nick Slyney
Coach: Anthony Griffin

Have to say I'd rather Parker moved to prop, Thaiday to back row, Gillett or Glenn to lock. But a better team than last week, hopefully the boys can keep the enthusiasm. Hala needs some more time in QLD cup to up his fitness, glad that I get to see more of Slyney.

Hopefully we can have McGuire back for the Tigers, their props were impressive from what I saw of the Storm game, might need all hands on deck.

Last edited:

unbreaK

Juniors
Broncos

1 Corey Norman
2 Josh Hoffman
3 Jack Reed
4 Justin Hodges
5 Lachlan Maranta
6 Scott Prince
7 Peter Wallace
8 Ben Hannant
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Sam Thaiday (c)
11 Alex Glenn
12 Matt Gillett
13 Corey Parker

Interchange
14 Ben Hunt
15 Scott Anderson
16 David Hala
17 Nick Slyney
Coach: Anthony Griffin

Is that the official team list? I heard McG was back this week.

Chainshada

Juniors
Yeah that's the one listed on nrl.com, maybe he has to pass a fitness test later on in the week? Just watched the ins&outs on broncosTV, no mention of McGuire at all.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
He was a chance but clearly Hook isn't confident enough to name him at this point.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him included as a last minute replacement.

Guess the idea here is that it's better to prepare guys like Slyney & Hala as if they're going to play instead of telling them a day or so before that they're going to be playing.

Tough game to predict.

Both teams coming off wins where they put 30 on the opposition. As a fan I feel quietly confident but then it could be because it's the first time I've seen the Broncos win comfortably in a long time. The assignment on Friday is going to be tougher and the boys are going to have to build in order to win.

AceAv

Juniors
Yeh grif is certainly no gambler. Given the high rate of injuries and add a suspension into that with our props, im not suprised he isnt naming McG this early...

Would be great to have him on, but if he's only 90% good -is it worth risking him when he would be perfect to jump in next week 100% when we likely lose hannant or parker or another FR'er for 2-3 weeks.

Cowboys are gonna really try and beat us across the park with the way thurston directs traffic. Will be a real hard one to predict.

Im happy with the line up though. Agree with others with Parker to prop, but he may be gunning for a Kanga jersey like gillet is, so playing your best role is key..

Broncos by 10

Country Bronco

Juniors
Thanks BP. Now I understand. Also chainshada thanks for your input as well. It's hard to get a good gauge on our halves with our forward pack doing so well. I do however think our attack is improving but if we get in and lose the grind I hardly see our halves digging us out.

jakepearce94

Juniors
Yeh grif is certainly no gambler. Given the high rate of injuries and add a suspension into that with our props, im not suprised he isnt naming McG this early...

Would be great to have him on, but if he's only 90% good -is it worth risking him when he would be perfect to jump in next week 100% when we likely lose hannant or parker or another FR'er for 2-3 weeks.

Cowboys are gonna really try and beat us across the park with the way thurston directs traffic. Will be a real hard one to predict.

Im happy with the line up though. Agree with others with Parker to prop, but he may be gunning for a Kanga jersey like gillet is, so playing your best role is key..

Broncos by 10
why would we lose them for 2-3 weeks?

AceAv

Juniors
Im not guaranteeing it of course. Just saying statistically with our Front Row this year this is a good possibility. It seems Griffin is aware of this...

AceAv

Juniors
Game day boys!

How have we tipped? -I went broncs of course on homegame adv. But tough one to pick...

Latest posts