What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 Vs Storm

MugaB

Coach
There's a rumour floated that Whare is bound for the ESL, id rather it be mansour than Whare, it sux coz To'o has a great combo with him,

mxlegend99

Referee
There's a rumour floated that Whare is bound for the ESL, id rather it be mansour than Whare, it sux coz To'o has a great combo with him,
To'o has only scored 2 tries and both happened when Whare didnt get the ball. The first was off a poor pass that missed Whare. The second was off Edwards who give him clean ball directly.

To'o should be more lethal with another centre inside him. 6 games and Whare has not registered a single try, try assist or linebreak. Most plays died the second he and Aekins touched them.

Although for those who still rate him I wouldn't be worried. There's no way he's leaving before the season is done. If the rumours are true at all. It would be for 2021 and beyond.

Panfa

Juniors
Why cant it be both mansour and whare they are holding younger faster skillful back out of the team.Id rather have mcgrady at centre and naden on the wing over mansour and whare.Sure mansour whare more experienced players but naden and mcgrady lot better attackers.Both tall and good in the air also.

So you didn't mean the most recent game. So did you mean the games 4 months ago? The ones without our halfback or the ones without a fullback?

Our left side has been the dominant side for a while, including last year. Cherry picking things like a few players being missing doesn’t change that.

Fangs

Coach
I wouldn't be dropping either Whare or Mansour. Both have drawbacks but I can't see Naden replacing either of them. His best way into first grade is by replacing Crichton which is very unlikely to happen. His chance to play bench is almost no chance once May returns.

And as far as I know we don't have any other outside backs worth bringing in. Tough to judge without reserve grade being played.

Right now I don't think we make any team changes. Capewell straight in when he is fit, May possibly on the bench over Luai/Burton. And while it feels weird seeing Burton play 0 minutes it was the right call in the Storm game. If we hadn't shat the bed a week prior against the Eels he would have played 0 minutes as well.

CCJohnC

Juniors
Why cant it be both mansour and whare they are holding younger faster skillful back out of the team.Id rather have mcgrady at centre and naden on the wing over mansour and whare.Sure mansour whare more experienced players but naden and mcgrady lot better attackers.Both tall and good in the air also.

Their time will come. If you look at the ages of the Roosters and Parra they have quite a few vastly experienced players. Most important in helping youngsters.

franklin2323

Immortal
I wouldn't be dropping either Whare or Mansour. Both have drawbacks but I can't see Naden replacing either of them. His best way into first grade is by replacing Crichton which is very unlikely to happen. His chance to play bench is almost no chance once May returns.

And as far as I know we don't have any other outside backs worth bringing in. Tough to judge without reserve grade being played.

Right now I don't think we make any team changes. Capewell straight in when he is fit, May possibly on the bench over Luai/Burton. And while it feels weird seeing Burton play 0 minutes it was the right call in the Storm game. If we hadn't shat the bed a week prior against the Eels he would have played 0 minutes as well.

The right edge is better defenders if you are going to play Naden centre then for me that is the side

WestyLife

First Grade
Yes I am arguing that Manu getting cleaned up goes to show how good a performance Whare put in against Jennings and that the biggest factor in defending against an opposition centre is the ability of the centre guarding him, not the men inside and outside. What kind of clown would back themselves into a position where they had to try and argue against such blatantly obvious things?
Bullshit. He was worse defensively then Cleary or to’o on Friday, I’ve given my reasons why, prove me wrong.
It was a stupid point you made. Watch that last parra try and tell me Cleary would not of hammered Jennings in flannos place. Flanno actually took out his back rower coming over in cover with his shitness.

An example for this discussion. This looks fantastic as a team effort but without Nathan Whare is made to look silly defensively and a try is scored. @martielang

giphy.gif

Only takes a couple of losses to facilitate a change. Overall the team is doing well, but nothing wrong with a change or two to help us keep improving.

I’d like to see both Naden & Burton in the backline by the end half of the year. Gives us so many more offensive options.

Kilkenny

Coach

You can mount an argument for Naden in the starting lineup, you can’t do the same for McGrady. He has endured two ACL reconstructions, played but a handful of NSW Cup games and the one’s I’ve seen him in he hasn’t yet shown the sort of promise which would demand his selection in front of either Whare or Mansour. If he is still here next season then hopefully he may get an opportunity if he improves sufficiently but I can’t see him playing NRL in 2020.

The Realist

Juniors
Left has been going great, the threat of kikau adds a lot of options.
I thought Martin helped the right side attack this week, he bent the line a few times and got some quick play the balls. Hopefully it will continue to improve.

He was like that last year as well but just like most rookies had a few silly handling mistakes and penalties in him (like Burns in this game) He cuts that to a minimum and he becomes a VERY good 2nd rower. It really makes the Capewell signing all the more puzzling - since we already have too many options for the 2nd row.

Kilkenny

Coach
He was like that last year as well but just like most rookies had a few silly handling mistakes and penalties in him (like Burns in this game) He cuts that to a minimum and he becomes a VERY good 2nd rower. It really makes the Capewell signing all the more puzzling - since we already have too many options for the 2nd row.

I think Liam Martin will continue to improve, no doubt. Has a big motor, so would be nice to see him up his work rate and make more carries but I’m sure that will come in time.

I was never quite sold on the Capewell signing and I don’t say that because of his unfortunate injuries I just think we could have put the money in other areas.

I do like the intensity we have displayed thus far in 2020 and but for six minutes against the Eels we could actually have been on 11 points top of the ladder but alas it wasn’t to be.

My concern is around our performances in the weeks months ahead against sides we are expected to beat and maintaining the same levels of performance & intensity. We have been guilty of putting in some shockers against sides we should be winning against and winning comfortably in recent seasons. I want us to put lesser sides to the sword and only then may I start thinking about top 8 or better.

WestyLife

First Grade
That’s your best example? Gets palmed off, keeps his feet, comes back & makes the tackle with Cleary. If anything it probably shows his experience by keeping his composure & not going to ground.

Without Cleary it's a certain try. For the guy people say is a great defensive centre getting easily palmed and needing saving by the halfback with under 100 games seems to support what @betcats is saying.

betcats

Referee
Without Cleary it's a certain try. For the guy people say is a great defensive centre getting easily palmed and needing saving by the halfback with under 100 games seems to support what @betcats is saying.

Im not saying he is a bad defender and he played that situation well despite being pushed off initially he recovered and got some help, if anything it’s a great example of clearys cover Defense which has been exceptional this season . Olam got on Whare’s outside again after that one and he recovered again and with some help with from To’o made a good tackle. He did nothing wrong in either instance but he certainly wasn’t shutting his down opposite number on his own.

You can pull up Whare’s tackle efficiency for each year on nrl.com and you’ll can see his decline from his best days defensively. His tackle efficiency was in the 80s at his peak, his rookie year was is his lowest at 73 but hes currently below that this season. He shows glimpses of his old self at times but he also shows glimpses of his age and decline, he is missing tackles at a similar rate to Naden last season. He is still much better defender than Naden but he makes errors now that he never used to.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
Im not saying he is a bad defender and he played that situation well despite being pushed off initially he recovered and got some help, if anything it’s a great example of clearys cover Defense which has been exceptional this season . Olam got on Whare’s outside again after that one and he recovered again and with some help with from To’o made a good tackle. He did nothing wrong in either instance but he certainly wasn’t shutting his down opposite number on his own.

You can pull up Whare’s tackle efficiency for each year on nrl.com and you’ll can see his decline from his best days defensively. His tackle efficiency was in the 80s at his peak, his rookie year was is his lowest at 73 but hes currently below that this season. He shows glimpses of his old self at times but he also shows glimpses of his age and decline, he is missing tackles at a similar rate to Naden last season. He is still much better defender than Naden but he makes errors now that he never used to.

I was just showing the visual of your point that the players around him are making him look better which I do agree with and is shown in that play. He was shown up pretty bad with the 1 on 1 battle and only exceptional cover defence saved the situation.

To be fair though it's the same issue Crichton seems to have but he has age on his side. His positioning is probably better than Naden so it might be too risky to drop him I'm not sure.

franklin2323

Immortal
You can mount an argument for Naden in the starting lineup, you can’t do the same for McGrady. He has endured two ACL reconstructions, played but a handful of NSW Cup games and the one’s I’ve seen him in he hasn’t yet shown the sort of promise which would demand his selection in front of either Whare or Mansour. If he is still here next season then hopefully he may get an opportunity if he improves sufficiently but I can’t see him playing NRL in 2020.

Naden proved he can handle FG. Have Cleary next to him instead of Maloney and his defence improves. Barring injury no young guy will debut

mxlegend99

Referee
That’s your best example? Gets palmed off, keeps his feet, comes back & makes the tackle with Cleary. If anything it probably shows his experience by keeping his composure & not going to ground.
He gets beaten often. He misses a lot of tackles. But has great guys to help bail him out.

He certainly didnt look as good defensively against the Knights when Cleary wasnt in the team to fix that edge up. Knights left edge had a field day down his side.

He's not completely useless in defence. But he's not close to the rock he is being made out to be either. He has been made to look foolish just as Crichton was. Hell i doubt you could find a player in the competition who hasnt. But generally he's only a solid defender that is being rated more highly because he used to be arguably the best in the game and still has a big hit in him every now and then.

A different player might miss a tackle or two he would have made. Or perhaps Nathan can help bail them out too. But there must be someone who could atleast score or setup a try... Or break the line even. 6 games and Whare hasnt hasnt racked up any of those stats yet. This from the guy who was second only to Jamie Lyon at setting his winger up.