What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 (2008) Warriors v Rabbitohs

Steel Dragon

Bench
Hi guys - sorry for the lateness.
I've been busy - im halfway through marking and should be done sometime tomorrow night.

thank you all for your patience.
(pretend ive sent it up to the video ref - and he is going frame by frame like a pedantic analytical prick!)

SD

Jesbass

First Grade
Whoa, way to get my hopes up, SD! :lol:

No worries - take your time. Having never reffed before, I can't appreciate the difficulties and intricacies associated with it, so just when you're ready. :)

rayroxon

Juniors
I feel like a kid at christmas cos the guy we're waiting for is in red and white and probably has a massive sack but then i realise we're waiting for marks and not presents.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Round 7 (2008) Warriors v Rabbitohs

RIGHTO YOU LOT LISTEN UP!!!
Please name what team you play for at the start of the post - its bloody confusing trying to work out what team you play for on top of everything else...
Thankyou for listening.

WARRIORS

Will He Mason?
Rayroxon (Warriors)
Word Count 750

Weird to say the least. A bit of a stretch to say that if it wasn’t for footy, you’d never have heard that conversation.
Without getting into the semantics of fate, I’ll just say that I enjoyed reading about what happened at the ground, and on the bus. I think that there was some potential in the mad Wiki fan or bus shenanigans, and even if you embellished – I think the better story is your day at the footy.

Boned!
JonB (Warriors)
Word Count 733

It starts out really well, then it slips into boring medical jargon straight outta a medical journal, and then the last paragraph is good again. When you relate the material to football, your writing is brilliant. Informative and entertaining. When its not, I don’t really enjoy it. Possibly one of the more originally informative pieces I’ve ever read in the comp. Bloody good effort!

Super Boot
byrne_rovelli_fan82 (Warriors)
Word Count 748

A great piece from wittyfan here. Huh? You mean this isn’t wittyfan? Oh, my bad!
Michael Witt isn’t as celebrated a goal kicker as the El Masri’s of the competition, but he certainly is a crucial element of the Warriors success. Tony Martin really sucked last year. I should know – he was my fantasy kicker *groan* Witt is definitely better.
Nice piece.

Poster Child
sportsthought (Warriors)
Word Count 747

On one hand I wanna mark you right down because you’ve just gone and taken the p!ss out of everyone on this forum (you bastard). On the other hand you do it so damn incredibly well.
The only thing that stops it from being perfect is some (f*cking annoying) L33t speak.
There wasn’t nearly enough OMG’s, FFS’s, WWJD’s and ROTFLOL’s. If you posted a bit more often you’d know that! Now take your score, stop making fun of us all and bugger off!

Money Bill Williams?
Jessbass (Warriors)
Word Count 740

An incredibly clinical summary of the Sonny Bill Williams contract debacle.
Sharp, clear, concise, factual and a little bland. You are arguably the best writer in the competition, your spelling, grammar, and layout is impeccable, however, your ‘voice’ rarely comes through in your pieces. It’s the one thing, I believe is holding you back from being a brilliant all-round writer

RABBITOHS

The Club
rabs (Rabbitohs)
Word Count 696

Bang! Spot on with most of your arguments. This is a piece while seemingly a little rushed, brings up and validates many criticisms in the game. 1 Ticket – 3 Games. Those people that only go to watch the main event are like people who order a value meal and only eat the burger! (Dodgy analogy I know - but you get the point)
Well done on your listing of all the NYC’s recent graduates – they sure are providing excitement in first grade over the last few weeks.
If only this was able to utilize the full word limit, and if you were less rushed.

Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Skeepe (Rabbitohs)
Word Count 734

Yep love it. Couldn’t agree more. You do well to avoid this sounding like so many rants I’ve read in the past by using a nice calm tone and rational arguments.
Personally I think we need to go back to in goal judges and if it looks like a try and smells like a try – award a friggin try!

The Real Competition
Master Vippo (Rabbitohs)
Word Count 737

You make some really good points here about the most pressing issues in the sport today. There has been much said on these topics in the media already, and somehow you manage to address each of the (many) issues with seemingly enough gravity given to each. A wonderful achievement considering the word limit.

Building the foundations for the future.
Dogs of War (Rabbitohs)
Word Count 750

Some potentially good ideas, but I can find holes all through your arguments. Firstly, the NFL system has its faults. For instance – the winners of each division go on to play in the finals series. And quite – there are teams that win their division, that don’t have as good a winning record as teams that finish last in their division. When there are strong conferences and weaker ones – teams are disadvantaged.
Then, there is the way you have divided the teams. You have put New Zealand in the ‘Northern Conference’ when geographically – they are the most Eastern, AND the most Southern team in the league. However, like the NFL, the Dallas Cowboys, despite being geographically located in the ‘Wild West,’ somehow have managed to play in the NFC East with NY Giants and Washington Redskins. Baffling to say the least.
Also – how can you “suddenly have traditional rivals?”
Statistics would have helped your argument. Crowd figures supporting your ‘local derbies draw big crowds’ point would help your case. I find it ridiculous that you blame the draw for the poor performances of the Bulldogs and the Cowboys. Both clubs have had significant injuries, coaching woes and player departures.
I’m really sorry mate – but I don’t think there is one thing in this piece that I can agree with you on.

How Ben destroyed his team and damaged his future.
Marshall Magic (Rabbitohs)
Word Count 750

Ok – so you’re obviously bitter about something and you’re gonna blame Ben Te’o.
Where you go wrong in this article is to assume that Te’o was trying to cash in.
As far as I can tell, Te’o had a disagreement with his manager, parted ways with him, then decided to try and negotiate for himself. Out of lack of experience he contacted all 15 clubs to see what was out there.
I blame the Tigers for not recognizing his potential earlier and showing him loyalty.
But the Tigers’ poor form of late can be put down to the several injuries to key forwards.
Ben and the Tigers will show their true form in the coming weeks when the show whether or not they can bounce back from their current slump.
Blaming one player for a entire club’s poor form is just dumb. For your piece to have been more convincing, you should have given specific examples, comparing reasons for good form v reasons why they are underperforming now.
As it is – it just appears like a groundless rant/personal attack on Ben Te’o.

WARRIORS

Defeated

RABBITOHS

rabs

Staff member
congrats warriors you guys came up with something special that would have been hard for anyone to beat, good effort by us bunnies and ta for the reffing steel dragon

rayroxon

Juniors
Thanks Bunnies, I was secretly hoping you wouldn't emulate your real life counterparts and get one over the Warriors.

Warriors, well done on carrying me through, great job ST, you totally rock.

Last but not least SD - Cheers for marking. I was hoping you wouldn't notice my sudden segue back into league again but points gratefully noted.

Onwards and upwards team!

Last edited:

sportsthought

Juniors
Thanks, I'm a bit overwhelmed to be fair, but thanks to the Warriors that helped fine tune that puppy.

Rabbitohs > see yous in the finals!

Jesbass

First Grade
Captain's Knock:

South Sydney's finest pushed us hard, but somehow we came through. An awesome effort by both sides. :clap:

To the referee, thank you for the detailed feedback. I know such constructive criticism can only make us better. I also hope that this match served as something of a 'return to norm' from your most recent experience in this competition.

To the Rabbitohs, keep your chins up. You did incredibly well to bounce back from posting two articles last round to pushing us all the way. No matter what anyone says, this margin isn't much when you consider the two marks are out of 500! Hang in there - you've got a fight on your hands for your finals spot with the Eels having a bye in hand, and you facing the Bluebags in the final round. Good luck! :D :thumn

And to the Warriors, congratulations on an awesome team effort. Sportsthought, stand up and take a bow for your first POTM! It was an awesome effort all round, though, with our record highest team score in the club's history, and we've now equalled our longest winning streak of four matches, not to mention guaranteeing ourselves a spot in the finals! :clap:

Onwards and upwards! :D

LeagueNut

First Grade
blah-grumpy.gif

Backpacker Points

3 points - sportsthought (Warriors) :clap:
2 points - JonB (Warriors) :thumn
1 point - Rabs (Rabbitohs) & Master Vippo (Rabbitohs) :mrgreen: