What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 (2009) TITANS v COUGARS

The Piper

Juniors
Forum 7s - Round 7 2009
GOLD COAST TITANS v COUGARS
gco-main.jpg
-v-
cougarsf7s.jpg

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5v5 (+ 2 reserves for visiting team, 3 reserves for home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Thursday 16th July 2009 at 9pm (Syd time)
REFEREE: Pistol
Venue: Skilled Park

**The Referee Blows Game On!**

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Last edited by a moderator:

Titanic

First Grade
skilled_park02%20copy.jpg
The Gold Coast TITANS v the St. Mary's Cougars

Back on home turf and eagerly awaiting what should be a memorable clash with the Cougars, here come the Titans:

The Run-on Team
1 Amadean
6 tits&tans
7 Titan Uranus
11 Titanic
12 Coaster

The Bench
4 Tigers_are_Pro
bgdc

13 TITs ANonymouS

griffo346

First Grade
after a good start to the season the cougars have hit the wall with injury toll mounting and a couple of cases of the AIDS (Alcohol Induced Dizzy Spells) they have managed to field a starting side with no bench.

Starting V
1. griffo346 (C)
2. Big Pete (VC)
3. Lockyno1
4. Dally Messenger
5. Matt23

Bench
6. ----
7. ----

lockyno1

Post Whore
Lockyno1 awakes and onto the field for the Cougars

THE GOOD OLD FASHIONED BIFF
After reeling from State of Origin three at Suncorp Stadium last night, and being in attendance at the ground it is clear as day that crowds in general like a fight. Therefore it is important for the National Rugby League to regulate this behaviour, but at the same time not to prevent the actions from occurring. There are positives and negatives of bringing back the biff and these will be discussed in detail.
There are clear advantages of bringing back the biff, and the first and main reason this should be brought back is for the fans. The fans want controlled fighting to happen on the field and the NRL should not stop this from occurring. At the end of the day without the fans are the essential component to the game and without them the NRL will struggle for survival. However, a balance must be found as the last thing you want as a widely known organisation is for king hits to be happening on the field. Finding a balance will be crucial for the NRL appealing to the fans wishes, whilst at the same time appealing to the wider community.

Another positive in my opinion is marketing. By having controlled fighting (biff) then it creates a new avenue for marketing. The more physical the game the more appealing the game could be to a newer audience that may previously not have been attracted to rugby league as a sport. At its current state rugby league is tough, however, with the current rules, from people that I have met personally, there is a perception that the game has become a lot “softer” than it was in the early 90’s. There is a distinct need to get the game back to the heights of the 90’s and if bringing back the biff in a controlled manner is one of these measures, then there is no problems with it. However, as has been stated before, the fighting must be in a controlled manner. A one on one biff is fine but there is no need for thuggery and gang fighting on a single player.

Despite there being some obvious positives in terms of marketing and appealing to the fans wishes, there are some obvious disadvantages. The most obvious disadvantage is that rugby league like every other sport (maybe more so) is scrutinised left, right and centre. This means that by re-introducing the ability for players to biff, it increases the chances of poor headlines if it all goes wrong. If there is any instance of king hitting or any other indiscretion the NRL sets themselves up to be liable. This may not be the smartest idea in the book especially considering the 2009 track record of incidents this year.

The other negative is that rugby league has a higher presence in terms of families, especially ones with younger children. The risk is that by re-introducing the controlled biff, there is a chance that rugby league may lose a large portion of fans as the game may be deemed too “violent” by parents. This means that although you may gain some fans by re-introducing the biff, you lose more fans at the same time which means that the game is worse off as a result with fewer fans than before.

The final negative with the proposal to re-introduce the biff might be that the quality of the football may well decrease. As rugby league is constantly fighting for market share with the AFL and rugby union, it is essential that the quality of football remains at a premium. This means that a re-introduction of controlled fighting may decrease this level of quality football and thus decrease the product in comparison to other sports. This may mean a decrease in market share which could have a devastating effect on the game as a whole, especially in the global financial crisis.
Therefore, although the biff in last night’s State of Origin match was a blessing, the NRL should be very careful about the re-introduction of controlled fighting in the game. The negatives far outweigh the positives and thus the game will suffer as a whole. There is no need to change a successful product in its current state, to a product with a high chance of negative publicity on the back of fighting by players.

726 words

Big Pete

Referee
Big Pete backs up after a big Origin night and run's it up for the Cougars.

The Turning Tide

Competition is an interesting concept, it can bring out the best and worst out of any given man, woman or child yet due to it's stature in human culture these rational behaviours can often be celebration and encouraged. It's through the concept of competition that such cultural phenomenons as State of Origin thrive and inspire a nation to partake in the attitudes that result out of the series such as passion, determination and perseverance. Yet with such a powerful competition isn't it strange how quickly fortunes can turn and how dominant one side can be only for them to lose four consecutive series?

Over the past four years, fans around the East Coast of Australia have been reminded constantly of Queensland's superiority in State of Origin and their so called belief and desire based on dire over exaggerations and inspiring mythology. Still, I remember a different time, when these attributes were questioned and an entire state wondered, what's eating the Queensland Maroons?

It was May 25th 2006, the day after Game 1 as the entire state of Queensland was left shell shocked with the one point defeat. Surely, their time had come after three consecutive series defeats? But sadly the boot of Brett Finch told a different story as New South Wales recorded a famous 17-16 win at the Olympic Stadium. As a result of the first game a number of ex-players, commentators and journalists began questioning the integrity of players including captain Darren Lockyer who had been targeted by the media through out 2006 for his indifferent club form. Former Maroons forward Greg Dowling weighed in sprouting that Lockyer didn't have what it took to be an Origin captain and lacked the passion for the job. Truly if there was ever a time his career hung in the balance it was at this point.

Spare a thought also for big Petero Civoniceiva and Steve Price, two players who had been labelled too old for Origin by not only scathing New South Wales journalists but local Queensland journalists as well! Both players were reaching (if not in) their 30's and their work around the ruck had been highlighted as a major weakness not only to their club sides but at Origin level. In the case of Steve Price, his representative career was considered over after a disappointing Tri Nations campaign in 2005 which caused new coach, Ricky Stuart, to come out and say he wasn't going to reward complacency and a lack of passion which left him promising bulk changes, including the omission of Price. Despite all of his achievements it appeared certain that Price would see out the rest of his career captaining the Warriors in the NRL.

Then came a bombshell, injuries had reared their ugly head and Queensland had been forced to make a number of changes including the introduction of Adam Mogg. This inclusion caused shock waves around the press primarily in New South Wales who lauded the selection as a joke and began wondering how long it would be until Mal Meninga would step down from his position as coach. Also included in the selections was controversial Karmichael Hunt who was raised in New Zealand until he was twelve and Queensland Cup regular Jacob Lillyman.
With all this build up and all this skepticism truly the future of Queensland rested on the hopes of this one match and for all intents and purposes didn't it show?

From the opening set Queensland defended like a pack of animals monstering the colossal Blues forward pack which included such personalities as Mark O'Meley and Willie Mason. By the tenth minute it appeared apparent that the team that took the field at Suncorp Stadium was vastly different from the one in Sydney and invariably made the Blues pay when Chris Flannery combined with Carl Webb in a smart scrum play to score the opening try. However despite dominating the majority of the proceedings, Queensland only lead by 8 points when New South Wales were deep in attack.

It was Braith Anasta who had the Maroons defence spell bound sending a spiralling pass to none other than Maroons centre Justin Hodges who intercepted the ball and defied his fragile knee by racing 90 metres to score a famous try. With his one finger salute Queensland was never headed.

Queensland scored a remarkable 30-6 victory, the Maroon's pack was celebrated and Darren Lockyer recorded a famous Man of the Match performance. Proving competition is a turning tide.

749 Words Including Title.

Coaster

Bench
Coaster hits the field for the Titans, pumped for a big one (750 words between lines)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
lewis.jpg

The King and I

It was the night of the Wally Lewis Celebrity Challenge* at the old Seagulls Stadium on the Tweed. A ragtag group of us got there early to see some mates play in the curtain-raiser and as happens in situations like that, the beer began to flow.

Those amber ales started to taste pretty damned good. The crowd was huge, a carnival-like atmosphere with all and sundry packed into every available seat while the overflow jammed into any space, including the stairs. A boutique ground, packed to the rafters and everybody there to pay homage to the great man in his swansong.

The atmosphere was electric, with everyone having a good old time, except me. You see it was my shout, and my timing was woeful. The game was about to start and the mob lining-up for more grog was longer than Todd Carney’s rap sheet. The more I contemplated how I could get out of my obligation, the more people joined the queue.

My mates weren’t swallowing my lame excuses either. They knew it was my shout, and there was just no way to renege. Finally, with a deep breath and a look of bovine resignation, I got to my feet and started to negotiate through the half-tanked crowd to the bar, further repressed by one of my mate’s yelling “and a pie”.

The line was fifteen deep and service was slower than the economic turnaround. I waited as patiently as I could, hyperventilating when I heard the crowd erupt as a helicopter hovered over the grandstand, bringing the King to his adoring subjects. Geez, this was killing me, what was I doing? I was missing the event, that’s what, the Emperor’s last entrance. I was almost “out of my tree” and delirious with thirst when finally the bar bloke asked the magic question: “What can I get ya?”

“Four beers and two pies with sauce please mate,” I blurted out. He was mercifully efficient and grabbing my spoils I spun around eager to return to my seat before I missed anything else. It was going to be tough handling the beer tray and the pies, but I resolutely started the trek back up the overly crowded stairs. People were crammed-in so tight, I could hardly squeeze my feet between them, balancing became precarious and then some bright spark lit my fuse.

“GET OUT OF THE WAY DUMBASS” some moron screamed at me. Quicker than Matty Johns can drop his fly, my blood boiled and I spat back, “IF YOU PRICKS GOT OFF THE FREAKING STAIRS MAYBE WE COULD GET UP THE BLOODY THINGS”. The abusive comments flew back and forth. For a moment half the southern stand forgot about the King, instead focusing on me and my screaming match.

Others chimed in on both sides, and then, as I attempted another step, I slipped. Not one of those little slides you have when you can quickly right yourself, this was a beauty, 'ass over tit' as my grandfather used to say.

I lurched backwards pushing into people. Elbowing, kicking and trampling indiscriminately -- it seemed like an age, was I ever going to stop falling? After an eternity I eventually hit the ground. I recovered and Preston Campbell-like, bounced straight to my feet. A burning sensation in my chest, where the two pies had attached themselves forming some sort of bizarre flaming-hot bra, got my immediate attention while the four-beer shampoo I’d given myself wasn’t offering any relief.

The adrenaline of anger and the pounding sounds of fury were confusingly replaced by… replaced by the roar of the crowd? The tumbling kaleidoscope of my fall materialised into a mosaic of smiling, sneering faces. To my horror, thousands were pointing, stomachs cramped by fits of laughter, at the clown who had so spectacularly fallen down the stairs. Once they had absorbed my pie bra dilemma, they went over the edge: grown men were crying; women were clutching their babies, and everyone was pointing, pointing, pointing.

I hurdled up the steps avoiding, where possible, those I’d brought down with me. Ignoring not only their abuse but also the whistles and jeers of the crowd, I stumbled up my aisle, threw myself into my seat and sat down beer-drenched and smeared with stuff. Numbed with embarrassment, I stared blankly at the growing pool of sweat and tears equidistant between my feet. Through these torrents of emotion, the trusted voice of my best friend penetrated:

“Where’s the freakin’ beer?”
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Picture courtesy of www.rl1908.com
* 13,900 attended 19 September, 1992.

Titanic

First Grade
Titanic for the Titans lurches on to the field, weighed down by the monkeys he will carry on his back until next year's Origin, ranting, ranting and ranting. (750 OWC)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
cct-424x283.jpg

Tell someone who cares

Rugby league's high-profile radio and television commentators are ludicrously uninteresting and their nonsensical waffling has become a blight on our game.

The supposed imminent death of State of Origin as a spectator draw card must certainly rank among the top ten of all-time ridiculous hypotheses, no matter how hard the organisers try to deliver their own TKO: technological knock-out. Uninteresting.

Origin is indestructible. Each year since its inception there have been attempts to breach the defences of fortress rugby league but like a fart in a cyclone, it’s all just wind. The protagonists’ theme this year was video analysts – so what? Who really wants perfection? Players like automatons? Officials all in a spirit of friendly cooperation toeing the line? Never! Remove the controversy and you’ll amputate the game's soul. Uninteresting.

Although the ratings point to an increased audience, it’s no coincidence that those advocating giving Origin the chop don’t actually attend the games so the television commentary has a lot to answer for. By way of evidence, I call to your attention those moments, late in a game, when the resident expert blurts out that "there's still enough time left" for the losing team to come back and win… you can be sure that, no, there's not enough time. You’re just being conned into not touching that remote control. Uninteresting.

Add to this the innocuous ramblings of ex-players. Listen to them extolling Craig Bellamy as the best coach never to have won an Origin series. Well, as long as he keeps losing series, then I reckon that he must be the worst coach ever to be called the best coach never to have won an Origin series. Uninteresting.

Ex-players, none of whom are clinical psychologists, are quick to grasp the moral high ground over any variety of issues as they roll out reams of hastily researched data when often the solution is as simple as “drink in moderation”. Uninteresting.

Why is it that all players who get caught with drugs in their system always say they ingested them, unaware, from taking dietary supplements? Yeah, right. If you really need dietary supplements, you big boys you, do what all other good Australians do… make that dietary supplement a super sized order of French fries.

Breaks in play open another Pandora’s Box… the filler. Why do goal kickers take so long to kick? We all realise that goal-kicking is supposed to be… la de da de da… a timeless art form. That's so precious. Goal-kickers, however, are not timeless. They're time consuming. Uninteresting.

And let’s not get started on league-speak. If there are any lexicographers in the reading audience, I have to ask: do you know when the word "physical" became a euphemism for "dirty"? Boy, this game is getting physical ... as another head gets ripped from its shoulders …probably too many dietary supplements. Uninteresting.

Why, in rugby league and others sports for that matter, do the coaches and announcers always identify good plays by referring to the name of said sport? For example, they scream, "That's a great rugby league tackle!" What'd you think it was? Something to be confused with a slap in the belly with a wet fish? Or "That's a great Origin moment." Hello! We're watching State of Origin. Uninteresting.

Anything Todd Carney does or says outside the context of a rugby league game is uninteresting.

Players and celebrities have sex with one another so frequently that it is no longer news and no longer interesting, even in a toilet.

Willie Mason is not interesting to an amazing degree. His off-field life has been uninteresting for a while; now he has created a drama about where or what he will actually play and that drama is uninteresting too.

Wendell Sailor was a mildly inspirational story at first. Now he seems to be such an attention-whore that he has become uninteresting.

Speaking of attention-whores, Craig Wing took up residence in that post code a while back. Think about how unimportant he is as an “athlete” any more; what do you read more about, his failed business endeavours or his appearances in the Cleo Platinum Edition?

And it should go without saying that Nate Myle’s career decisions and life vector are uninteresting.

For all of these issues and the hundreds that are fundamentally the same … where only the names change to expose the guilty, uninteresting.

But don’t get me wrong, I love rugby league… and Origin’s alive and well, thank you very much.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

tits&tans

Juniors

tits&tans a entre le stade pour les Titans. Il est pret de commencer la bataille avec les feroces Cougars ... allez allez allez

750 words below the stars (OWC)

coqs.jpg

Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys

I’m sure you are aware of one of Google’s search quirks, in that it can predict your search terms even if you make a spelling mistake. Who has tried to search for the phrase “french military victories” (laughable I know)? Google helpfully suggests that you may actually be looking for “french military defeats”, as no search results could be found. The Google lads seem to love the French as much as the British do. Not known for their military prowess, the French have at least won one significant war during their colourful history: the Rugby League war.

This year marks the 75th anniversary of the French Rugby League. Probably suffering from more oppression than any other sporting body in the history of the universe, the FRL began as the culmination of a number of key sporting events and has managed to outlive many of its erstwhile opponents.

In late December 1933, the Australian and British Rugby League Test teams staged an exhibition game in Paris. Amidst a swirling blizzard, the dazzling skills of the ARL and EFL boys inspired the French to contemplate this new sport. So excited were the crowds, that they chaired the Kangaroos captain off the pitch.

League fever then seized the capital and it was the endeavours of Jean Galia, a Union player, that helped launch the movement. Demonstration matches were organised across the country and a team even crossed the Channel to face the might of the British.

On April 6th 1934 the French Rugby League was born.

In the following four years, the popularity of League skyrocketed. In fact, it became so popular that it threatened Union’s position as the prime rugby sport in France. It was projected that, within five years, there would be more League clubs than Union clubs. So worried were Union supporters that they took to acts of vandalism and terrorism – sprinkling glass on to pitches, flooding fields and intimidating pre-game crowds. Despite this, French Rugby is still able to boast an incredible first. In 1939 they were the first French team of either code to win against their arch enemy – the English.

With the outbreak of war across Europe, League faced its darkest years in France. It was during these years that the Union movement flexed its muscles and through its extensive influence persuaded the Nazi-collaborationist Vichy government to decree a resolution in 1941 to dissolve the French Rugby League. League was banned.

Even though the ban was lifted soon after hostilities in Europe ceased, it wasn’t until June 1991 that League could actually be called rugby. During this time League had to adopt the name Jeu à Treize. Despite this nomenclature nonsense, League went from strength to strength.

In 1951 the French trounced the Aussies down under in a three-match Test series that was watched by over 450,000 spectators in total. The visitors played exquisite footie and tore the hosts to shreds. Even more incredible was the fact that they repeated this victory four years later in front of ever more screaming Aussies.

France hosted its first World Cup in 1954 and narrowly missed the trophy in one of the highest quality WC finals in history, eventually losing to Great Britain 16-12.

Since the ‘60s however, it has been less of a fairy tale. The impact of banning of the sport irreversibly, according to many pundits of the day, affected the careers of the players of that period and led to this slump.

In recent times though, the future is looking brighter than ever for Les Coqs. Key events such as the 1981 French Championship Final between XIII Catalan and Villeneuve, the adaption of Les Catalans to the ESL and Toulouse to the ENL and, from this year, the addition of France to the Tri-Nations have kicked some life back into French League. Australia’s narrow victory over France in 2004 has shown that the FRL still could be a force to reckon with. This is unsurprising given all that it has had to endure over its short, tumultuous history.

Indeed the French have displayed all the characteristics of our great game: courage and resilience in the face of adversity. Surprising from the country that gave the world “white-hatted ponces” and possibly the least athletic sport on the planet – pétanque.

[FONT=&quot]However, League’s ability to flourish and survive may be testament to its innate character and that of the people that the game attracts rather than the je ne sais quoi of les Francais. [/FONT]

Last edited:

Titan Uranus

Juniors
[FONT=&quot]

TU struggling with jetlag runs on with half a day to spare according to his bodyclock. Playing for the Titans. 747 in the OWC, between the lines.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](As an added bonus can you name the four US TV shows referenced by the four place names in the article?)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]_____________________________________________________________________________________
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
You’re the Ref[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Every week fans complain about the refereeing ability on display at their game, particularly if they feel they’ve been hard done by.

For many enquiring as to the whereabouts of the ref’s glasses/white stick/guide doghas always been an integral part of the match-going experience.

But, how well do you really know the rules of the game? Today I’d like to give you the chance to test your knowledge of the rules and show you’re far more competent than the men in day-glo pink. (Answers at bottom)

Scenario 1
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You’ve joined the Warrumboolah Wombats on a tour of the USA for fun and frolics as well as a little proselytising to convert the locals to God’s own game. Unfortunately as you’re too old/unfit/rubbish to play you’ll be serving as the ref in some games.

You’re all set to officiate in the tour game against the until recently unheralded Scranton Surge when one of the Wombats points out thatthe game can’t go on because of the posts.

Although the crossbar is 5.5m long and 3m above the ground it is not in the traditional ‘H’ shape but in the form of the local pitchfork style gridiron posts. The Wombat captain says they aren’t regulation and that it’ll make trying to score tries right under the crossbar dangerous and that he’s thinking of calling the game off.

What do you tell him?

Scenario 2
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You then move on to Kansas to play the indefatigableLawrence Lions. It’s late in the game and the Lions are only down by three points. Unfortunately the pressure gets to one of the Wombats who loses possession to a Lion. Said Lion then breaks free to score a try and celebrates American-style by busting out some moves.

The Wombat who lost the ball, eager to get things moving again runs to pick up the ball. After picking it up he notices that the ball has been burst. He swears that when he lost the ball there was nothing wrong with it and that the hulking brute of a Lion must have done the damage while, or after, stealing the ball. Furthermore he tells you that the try cannot be allowed as the ball must have lost its regulation shape and size prior to the try so it must be disallowed.

Do you…

A) Allow the try

B) Disallow the try and restart with a drop-out

C) Disallow the try and restart with a kick from the 20m line

D) Re-start play with a scrum against the ball-maulingLions at the pointwhere the ball was lost
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scenario 3[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The next game up is against the much vaunted Springfield Rifleswho are awarded a penalty kick. Again the gridiron effect comes into play and the kicker has the ball held in place for him by a team-mate.

Captain Wombat says this isn’t allowed as only one person can take the kick, unaided by another player. What should you say to Captain Wombat?

Scenario 4
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To finish off the tour the Wombats take part in the prestigiousNew Jersey Shield. Much to everyone's amazement the Wombats clinch a place in the final against the North Caldwell Cavaliers. Unfortunately no one was more amazed than the Wombats star player, Bazza McBruiser, who disappeared to celebrate at Satin Dolls off Route 17 on a mammoth bender.

Sadly, although he's, been named on the team sheet for the final he fails to make the kick-off. Bazza does make it to the game twenty minutes in. The Wombats' captain says thatBazza should be allowed on as he was on the starting sheet. The Cavaliers' captain says that as he missed the kick-off he has forfeited his right to play any part in the game.

Who's correct?

It's now over to you.

Answers

Although the posts are not in the traditional "H" shape they are allowed as they meet the requirements for height and length of crossbar. Game on!

A) If a ball is only discovered to be burst after the try has been scored, the try shall be allowed - but make sure you get a new ball before re-starting

Tell him that it's perfectly ok to have a guy hold the ball for a kick, even though it does appear decidedly gay.

The rules state that he shall be allowed to play as his name was down, although it will count as one of the team's substitutions. So the Wombats are finally right about something.
__________________________________________________________________________________
[/FONT]

griffo346

First Grade
griffo346 leads the side onto the paddock

The National Rugby League and the Marquee player system.

Well I was thinking about this a while back and assessing it as it has its ups and downs main reason I am discussing this is its been proven that it can be successful in other sports such as Basketball the Football (A-League, English Premier League) and this is also now been introduced into cricket through the 20/20 version of the game.

The way it has worked in other sports as mentioned is that a team has a certain amount of salary cap to be used over a squad number and to me this sounds similar to how the National Rugby League works although in each code the salary cap does vary.

In football (A-League, English Premier League) these to competitions although in the same code the salary caps vary hugely as the Premier League has clubs owned by billionaires who can afford massive over’s for star players like your Wayne Rooney’s and John Terry’s, although they play for different clubs they have billionaires who can afford the every day running cost of a Premier League club.

As for the A-League they have some billionaire/millionaires owning the clubs but the A-League has a salary cap to hear too this being hard for clubs to build there squads. Each club has $2.1 million to build a squad of 19 inside that squad. Inside those 19 players the clubs are given the choice if they would like to land a marquee signing and a junior marquee player, so getting a player from overseas to come here is pretty hard unless the player is near retirement. The one that came to mind was when Dwight Yorke came over from England to play for Sydney FC as a marquee player in the first season of the A-League.

Other players to give it a go have been Juninho Paulista of Brazil and Benito Carbone of Italy to name a few. In my opinion its good to see these players come over as they for one have experience in the pinnacle of the game by either representation of their country or playing for top flight clubs in Europe.
Most recently the new clubs have gained marquee buys Robbie Fowler for North Queensland and Jason Culina for Gold Coast.

How this would work for the National Rugby League would be keeping the salary cap as is and by making a player top flight material take the Brisbane Broncos for example when they managed to lure Israel Folau from the Melbourne Storm in this case the Broncos could of offered him a huge amount from the salary cap instead of looking for third party payments this making Israel the marquee player for the club and possibility of him even being the junior marquee player for the broncos.

As for current contractual situations as per the 2009 rosters other options clubs could have looked at are below my opinion would be:

Brisbane
Marquee: Israel Folau
Junior Marquee: Antonio Winterstein

Penrith Panthers
Marquee: Petro Civoniceva
Junior Marquee: Michael Jennings

Sydney Roosters
Marquee: Braith Anasta
Junior Marquee: Mitchell Pearce

All above player’s worth of the mention but as it’s my opinion there are other ways the clubs could look into it Brisbane could of even done say Darren Lockyer (Marquee) and Israel Folau (Junior Marquee).

This successfully works in the A-league I cant see why it couldn’t work in the National Rugby League, anther twist on it the marquee system could be used to try and lure a player either from the English Super League or a player from the dark side that being the Australian Rugby Union or the New Zealand Rugby Union if a club was able to pull this off imagine players like Dan Carter from the Allblacks playing for a club side like the Sydney Roosters or even South Sydney I know as a supporter of the National Rugby League I would be wrapped to see this signing.

Over all this system would even out the teams more so then they are now and would provide more excitement from a fans point of view.

686 words according to the F7s word counter

Last edited:

Amadean

Juniors
Amadean charges on for the Titans, looking to avenge Price's jaw with 746 below the bar.

Developing future players.

All fans are saddened to see their favourite players retire. All fans understand it’s a necessary part of the game. All fans, somewhere deep inside, want just one more season.

Here at Futronomics we have a solution. We are able to lessen the pain of the loss of Lockyer and stave off Stirlo’s final series for one more day.

We too winced when Wayne left the game, when Beetson said he was beat. We too have sat in the bar of the Regent Hotel and argued over whether Andy Johns or Andy Gregory was the better half, before finally agreeing the only way to be sure would be to play them off against each other.

Futronomics is dedicated to the finest form of nostalgia. We offer the greatest game, played by the greatest players, for your own personal pride. Naturally we shout and cheer when our son carries their big men over the try line. Naturally we weep and glow when he mouths the words to the national anthem. As people we cheer for our team, but blood flows thicker than water.

Sadly, not every parent can waltz young Webcke home from the hospital. Chance apportions future genius sparingly and almost every footy mad dad will watch the game with his son beside him on the couch, instead of being beside himself watching his son from his couch.

Until now.

With our revolutionary “Breed ‘em, Feed ‘em and Lead ‘em” pre- and post-natal techniques, we can tailor your child, boy or girl, to precise specifications. We can build them again in the image of those that stood before us.

Your Child, Your Hero

Glenn Lazarus was without doubt one of the greatest props to contest the modern game. Unfortunately, age did weary him and the years condemn. The Brick with Eyes no longer throws himself into the midfield, but lumbers from seat to seat on the sideline. His parents remain proud, but viewers are deprived of his performance.

Yet, hope remains. With Futronomics any embryo being carried towards term, boy or girl, can be transformed into Lazza himself.

In the Brick’s case, we’d start them on a high glucose intra-utereo diet, mixed with just a touch of alcohol to prevent excessive intellectual development, before really kicking on the Direct Umbilical Membrane Biturbo Genetic Ovoid Antecedent Typhoid treatment to irrevocably and positively change your child’s DNA for the Glenn-Better!

Once your hideously talented offspring has been bought to term, our work at Futronomics begins in earnest. To ensure correct ossory formation, in line with your brilliantly challenging Glenn-Goals, micro fractures and abrasions are promoted throughout the infant’s musculo-skeletal structure. This allows us to mold not only facial features, but also length of bone, distribution of muscle mass and propensity to bleed unexpectedly through the eyes.

To such caring, doting, generous parents as yourselves there may appear some temporary pain-like symptoms exhibited by your future Lazarus. We cannot recommend strongly enough our patented HONE (Heroin, Oxycodone, Nitrous oxide, Ephedrine) medication to calm the distressing consequences of your mis-perceptions. Thrice-daily application of HONE and your proto-Brick will be soon reborn as a loving Lazarus.

Heading into toddlerdom is a crucial stage for your future Dally M winner. Intensive training will commence upon their second birthday, a glorious process of painful struggle they will forcibly cherish throughout their possibly diminished natural lives. Heavy muscular and cardio-vascular exercise regimes are not yet appropriate, but mental training most certainly is. Our crack team of crack psychiatrists will alternately shout and sing at the infant whilst parading continual images of footballs, phalluses and Fuhrers for 9-hour stretches.

The early school years will be mercifully without standard school texts, instead focusing upon the glorious ideal of a man running repeatedly into a parked car. This will be both a theoretical and a practical form of study.

Towards adolescence the program intensifies, with young Lazarus engaging in his or her first on-field combat. Significantly more advanced, both mentally and physically, than their age-compatriots, your child will shine wonderfully. We are so sure of our ground/record/soul-breaking techniques that Futronomics guarantees u-18 Australian selection before puberty for all program participants!

Every great dynasty makes sacrifices; throughout history those before strove to ensure a better life for those to come. Technology, passion and ready credit have hurled such antiquated notions to the foul bins of history.

Be proud of your child. Maintain the eternal glory of another’s youth.

Enroll in the Futronomics League Academy today!

Last edited:

griffo346

First Grade
Thanks to Titanic for allowing us to do this
griffo346 posting on proxie for Dally Messenger

Origin - rugby leagues jewel in the crown taken for granted.

State of origin is the pinnacle of any rugby league played on this planet. I would argue it should be one of the pinnacle events in world sport. A competition which has grown over nearly 30 years because of the desire of Queensland to show their southern compatriots the game is more than just a Sydney one.

But the Origin series at the moment is causing problems for the wider game that need to be resolved. The big problem with the moment with the Origin series is that it is squeezed in whilst NRL rounds continue around it. This devalues both the origin series and also the club competition.

Every year during the Origin series, NRL crowds will slump for the duration of the series. The club competition becomes an after-thought to many, many quality games are robbed of all their origin stars, an example of which was the Storm last year fielding a side of kids against teams like the Dragons. Expecting players to back up the next weekend after an origin game is also draining our elite stars.

Having Origin squeezed in between NRL rounds also takes focus away from it as a spectacle. Also having games spaced out isn't ideal as it loses its impact.

The best solution needs to be to have the Origin series held over 3 consecutive weeks, with all club games stopped for those 3 weeks. Origin games can stay on Wednesday nights, but i prefer Friday nights to allow more fans and families to attend the game live, especially in Sydney. The big benefit of this is that the whole game of rugby league concentrates just on Origin for those 3 weeks. It would give the Origin series much greater publicity with a natural continuity from one week to the next.

This system would allow non Origin players a break in a long season. Rather than reducing the number of games, and hence our value to TV companies, keep them the same but have a rest in the middle of the season. Origin players won't get the 3 week rest but they won't have to back up for their clubs after Origin so their workload will be less than now.

Once Origin is over, the NRL can continue again with all our attention back on our clubs. We wont see the drop off in crowds or interest that happens now.

Origin is the goose that laid the golden egg, but now we are killing it by scheduling it in between NRL rounds. The game needs to give both the Origin series and the club competition the respect they both deserve.

I also believe that making Origin a stand alone event like this will make it easier to sell to TV companies thereby enhancing the worth or our TV contracts. Channel 9 get our TV rights cheap now by lumping them all together.

With something as brilliant as the Origin series as our crown jewel, we need to be using it more to attract new rugby league viewers. Every time someone from America sees an Origin game they are amazed at the spectacle, and people comment, where has this game been all my life? Its time we recognized what we have behind us and treating it accordingly.

It has been said that the origin series should be played on a solo weekend as the Australian Football League do when they have a origin game they allow players whom not playing in the representative game time off as the season is long enough with out doing what the National Rugby League do.

It has been suggested by Des Hasler and backed up by a couple of players that this should be employed I as a supporter would find this a better way of doing this as teams aren’t hampered as they are now.

This would mean reducing the current season from 25 rounds to 22 rounds and play the origins on a Sunday night.

670 words according to the F7s word counter

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
Okay guys, that's it, kept honest by those Cougars. Thanks griffo. Over to the mystery guest ref.

griffo346

First Grade
thanks titanic let down by the same player as last week it hurts to see this we have had a reasonable yr but it happens :( cougars have run out of puff

Titanic

First Grade
Mate, that's totally frustrating I'm sure and at the risk of sounding like a pompous ass from my point of view the real enjoyment is being in the community.

Pistol

Coach
Cougars

Lockyno1 with THE GOOD OLD FASHIONED BIFF = 83

Structurally the article is sound but the argument you presented is a tad over the place.

Big Pete with The Turning Tide = 84

I can see where you were trying to go with this. I remember the game well. From Petero’s big hit on O’Meley, to Mogg’s outstanding performance to Brent Tate’s solid effort throughout. It did lack passion which brought the mark down.

Griffo with The National Rugby League and the Marquee player system. = 70

Areas to be cleaned up include breaking up your paragraphs with full stops. Some places an entire paragraph was one long sentence which made reading incredibly hard. The idea was good and the effort was solid. Just be wary and try to fragment the article more.

Dallymessenger with Origin - rugby leagues jewel in the crown taken for granted. = 86

Not sure I agree with the article but it was presented well with good points. The Origin only weekend was tried in 2001 and met with scathing reviews.

Titans

Coaster with The King and I = 88

I fear to watch but cannot turn away. I liked reading this as the imagry puts me right in the action.

Titanic with Tell someone who cares = 87

Uninteresting is a point that the writer portrays very well in terms of some of the so called commentators who cant find a coherent sentence with two hands and a flashlight. Very well written.

Tits&tans with Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys = 89

Well researched piece and well written.

Titan_Uranus with You’re the Ref = 84

I liked this piece. Unique and well written but for some instances where two words were stuck together where a space would have been implemented.

Amadean with Developing future players. = 86

Interesting read…

Titans defeat the Cougars
434 – 323

POTM

Tits&tans

Titanic

First Grade
Gee Pistol, a result like a shot from a gun! Thanks for the effort.

Titans that was good hit out and a lot closer perhaps than the scores indicate. Cougars thanks for the game in trying times.

t&t's - two POTM's consecutively - some of those leading lads will be looking over their shoulders - good effort.

griffo346

First Grade
thanks for the quick turn around pistol sorry again titans that we couldnt field a full team could of given a chance if mine was better and if we had a 5th player