What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 - Tigers vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 23rd April 7:35pm @CommBank Stadium

big hit!

Bench
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Mansour: Then his defence was just terrible, he cannot read the play and constantly takes the wrong option. He doesn't have the speed to recover from this either. Maumalo's try in particular infuriated me. Yes, the inside defence wasn't great but Sauce got caught in no-mans-land and didn't move UNTIL THE BALL HAD GONE PAST HIM!! So poor and sadly his best days are gone. It's harsh but I want him out of the team.

Not a Josh fanboi and believe there are better options, but I don't know what we expect him to do here. Hastings is a good halfback who's not afraid to dig into the line, like Reynolds does and like Murray, Radley & Yeo do in their roles in goodball. This commits defenders, prevents the defensive slide and the outcome is the winger will be outnumbered and isolated which is basically the objective.

The team has to avoid being put into this position with needless piggybacks and errors. The more opportunities good teams get, the more chance that they'll end up capitalising.

Morehead St

Juniors
Knight did not live up to the standard of the previous week. A contributing factor I believe was he was hard done by with two big calls for foul play which went against him, and therefore the whole side was cruelled at same time.

Knight is a player who tries hard, but when one thing goes wrong, it eats at him. Whether that puts him off his game is up for debate - but of note is the way the ref and bunker were twice fooled in the space of a few minutes here.

The first incident is at 32.50 into the following replay that includes an Intro from the station (or 25 min into the first half if you have a different recording): incident is at https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/t...play-wests-tigers-v-rabbitohs---round-7-2022/

The 'crusher' on Tamou was harsh, since similar has gone unpunished as the head was not bent forward when Knight moved Tamou sideways.

About a minute later we see the second where Liddle does a forward somersault to milk a penalty.
Both Liddle and Knight are standing, with Knight having hold of Liddle's leg. Knight does not lift his opponent's body at all. When he lets go, Liddle somersaults. Liddle wins a penalty.
That should see the ref and bunker given a week off. How both did not pick up the acting on the replay is inexcusable.
I believe that those two bad calls effected Knight and put him off his game. It didn't cost us the game, but it certainly added to our woes. Two penalties in quick succession certainly relieved pressure on the Tigers after we were trying to pin them in their own quarter.
That section of play just about summed up our game.
Tigers played above themselves - we had a shocker. Yet only a last minute field goal was the difference. That is, it's not the end of the year.
That game highlighted our weaknesses. The coaching staff will be on show to change and lift things, just as much as the players are on show to pick up their game.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Ok so what gives you the confidence to believe that based on the past 7 rounds.
I believe we can make top 4 too, I genuinely do. It all comes down to our errors. Yes, we have a few other issues but poor completions are letting us down. That's what our losses mainly come down to in my opinion apart from maybe the Penrith game.

I have no doubt that if we completed at 80% in all the games we've lost so far, we would have almost certainly won Round 1, we would have bet the Storm in Round 2 and the Tigers over the weekend. I believe they are games we lost directly because of our poor completion rate. If that had happened well then it's a completely different story right now.

I'm not dumb, it's all hypothetical and at the end of the day, we did make those errors, we did lose those games. We're also still making errors with no signs of improvement in that area.

I'm not saying we're a top 4 team the way we're playing right now, what I am saying is that if we sort our bloody mistakes out, we have the potential to be. A lot of work to be done but we can do it!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
2 weeks ago, members here spruiking we’re a top 4 side while I commented we’ll be lucky to make the 8.
What are your thoughts now

We lost to the tigers in 2014 when we won the premiership. We have a terrible record against them. I am certainly an optimistic supporter but I still think making the 8 is definitely within reason. Our team is taking the piss right now and still going okay. This is definitely not the best footy we can play. Whether we're a top 4 side comes down to how we play post origin so I cant comment on that.

Right now we're not even giving ourselves the chance to win because we're not holding onto the ball.

This is JD's first biggest challenge as a coach and it will be interesting to see how he reacts.

But anyway its only round 7 and I cant even comment on who I think is going to win the comp. Most people would say panthers but I disagree.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I do think its fairly dramatic to be writing our season off this early but Souths fans are like that.

Does anyone know if Taafe can play in the halves? I swear he was a half before he played fullback in NSW cup.

Maybe dropping Cody is the wake up call he needs to stop thinking about 2021.

They aren’t very nice fans being rude to the raiders.

I saw @soc123_au there trying to pretend he was RCG.

Signing autographs and starting rumours he wasn’t happy at eels

DD1BEE7C-C14E-440B-B69C-7DC88E99EE53.jpeg

He’s very creepy our Socky.

Steenson123

Juniors
Nah, nothing to do with Bennett, the tigers completed at 95% and we completed at 69% to go down by one point........end of story.
Do you really think someone with the stature of Bennett loses that contest? I don't. The loose turnovers are all on the COACH. Its been happeneing almost every game even the trials under Demetriou. Demetriou has also failed to extract more from Walker and it may be linked to who Coach appointed as C. Demetriou has failed to read the situation correctly.
Eddie Jones is one of our own, red and green bred & born, intensity, charisma and smarts. Has won everywhere he has gone and he wants to lead the club. It would only take the right approach. I have spotted Eddie wearing a Souths Cap at International Rugby contests featuring England on BeInSport.

Steenson123

Juniors
I do think its fairly dramatic to be writing our season off this early but Souths fans are like that.

Does anyone know if Taafe can play in the halves? I swear he was a half before he played fullback in NSW cup.

Maybe dropping Cody is the wake up call he needs to stop thinking about 2021.
You are correct. Taaffe was a 5/8 or half in Flegg Cup and Bennett put him at FB where I believe his full skills set is not on show. He has more dash than Ilias and greater ball skills plus he can kick.
Taaffe should be given a shot at #7 at some stage especially if ilias goes into a funk.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I mean before anything Demetriou has to get the boys fixing their error rate. We're not even giving ourselves the chance to win. We were having this issue in 2015 as well but it feels like it's gotten worse. Even our best players are making silly errors.

I dont know what the fix to that is but hopefully JD does.

southsport

First Grade
Do you really think someone with the stature of Bennett loses that contest? I don't. The loose turnovers are all on the COACH. Its been happeneing almost every game even the trials under Demetriou. Demetriou has also failed to extract more from Walker and it may be linked to who Coach appointed as C. Demetriou has failed to read the situation correctly.
Eddie Jones is one of our own, red and green bred & born, intensity, charisma and smarts. Has won everywhere he has gone and he wants to lead the club. It would only take the right approach. I have spotted Eddie wearing a Souths Cap at International Rugby contests featuring England on BeInSport.
Maybe we lose with Wayne, maybe we don't and we'll never know, Wayne's not here and he's never coming back so it's time to move along. ;)

Rabbit toes

First Grade
We lost to the tigers in 2014 when we won the premiership. We have a terrible record against them. I am certainly an optimistic supporter but I still think making the 8 is definitely within reason. Our team is taking the piss right now and still going okay. This is definitely not the best footy we can play. Whether we're a top 4 side comes down to how we play post origin so I cant comment on that.

Right now we're not even giving ourselves the chance to win because we're not holding onto the ball.

This is JD's first biggest challenge as a coach and it will be interesting to see how he reacts.

But anyway its only round 7 and I cant even comment on who I think is going to win the comp. Most people would say panthers but I disagree.
This isn’t just about the loss to the tigers.
it’s a general thing. We’ve made some sizeable holes in this years team from last, as expected there needs time for combos and gelling to occur. Fwiw I think ilias is coming along nicely.
Injuries have hurt us a bit now too.

I can’t see us getting to the top 4 for the above reasons. Maybe scrape in the 8. I think next year will be a stronger confident outfit.