What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 - Titans vs Rabbitohs: Friday 23rd April 6pm @Cbus Super Stadium

Rabbits20

Immortal
Last night there were over 17,000 at the game. The majority were South Sydney fans. Was a great atmosphere at the game. Well done to all the Queensland based members and supporters who made that feel like a home game. Happens every time we play up there. We know the boys certainly noticed it.

From the Burrow

Travitoh

First Grade
Last night there were over 17,000 at the game. The majority were South Sydney fans. Was a great atmosphere at the game. Well done to all the Queensland based members and supporters who made that feel like a home game. Happens every time we play up there. We know the boys certainly noticed it.

From the Burrow

I thought they were all Souths fans judging by the sea of blue, cardinal and myrtle

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Walker: Had an exceptional night. I suggested Cody go to fullback early in the week too and I know many were against it but I highly doubt anyone will be against it next week! Look at how bloody well he played last night!! He was fantastic!! A seamless transition really. Slotted in so well at the back and combined like a regular fullback with Benji and Cookie etc. I loved how he was heavily involved and was pushing up through the middle as all good fullbacks should. The perfect example was him pushing up inside Keaon to take the final pass and finish a beautiful try. He also chimed into the backline really well, playing the 5/8 role on a few raids but was mainly the link man out the back and he looked so dangerous. Put on some quick hands for the final pass for Gagai's try and he created other chances at various times throughout the game. Safe under the high ball which kind of surprised me. That slips catch late in the second half at 30 all was crazy, no idea how he caught that!! The only area of his game that he was perhaps lacking was his defence as he made a few poor attempts as the last line of defence and we conceded a few tries as a result. can't knock him too much though as defence at the back is something a players needs to be used to. Otherwise, an exceptional night for Cody, very happy for him to continue at fullback while Latrell is out.

Johnston: Another great game by AJ. All the hit ups he had were pretty strong, kick returns included and he didn't make any errors under the high ball at all. Brilliant in attack as he took cut out passes as various times and used his speed to burn the inside defender, that looked super dangerous. Scored a freakish try as him and Benji communicated telepathically and he took that freakish ball from Marshall, bet a couple of defenders and crashed over. It then all paid off to when he took a brilliant pass from Benji late in the second stanza, raced down the sideline and went back inside with a pass to put Benji over. A good game from AJ.

Gagai: Speaking of good games, the ever consistent Dane Gagai was on again last night. It honestly amazed me just how much work he got through. Quality hit up after quality hit up, quality run after quality run. That was the story for the full 80 minutes as Gags was heavily involved and did a lot of work, he didn't stop. Ended up with 119 meters which is great. Was rewarded for his efforts with a try, that was a nice finish. On another note, he was a bit mixed on defenc has he came up with some great stops and didn't miss and crucial tackles but he did have five missed tackles all the same. Still a great night from him.

Graham: Having perhaps an even greater night though was Campbell Graham. Man, he was just enormous!! 13 runs for 125 meters, a line break, a try assist, 20 tackles with 3 missed is a pretty good night. Campbell was just in everything for us. His running game was immense as he had so many runs and they were all so strong. A brilliant effort to take the ball off a right hand shift, weave through the defence, find some space and with just the fullback to beat, had the vision to put in an amazing little grubber for Paulo to open our scoring account for the night. That was incredible stuff from Campbell. However, it was the defensive side of the game I think we were all most impressed with Campbell. A lot of traffic was sent his way and dispite missing a couple tackles on Fifita, he shut down a lot of that play down the right edge. Seemed to be on his own at times in defence but he handled it well and looked really strong. A fantastic game Cammy, up there with our best of the night.

Paulo: Jaxson had a really mixed game and I don't really know how to feel about it. I thought he was awesome with the ball, making a lot of really strong carries to pick up all important meters and took a Campbell Graham grubber brilliantly for his first try of the year. However, the defensive side of his game was seriously lacking. For most of the game, he was all at sea. Arm grabbing, would rush in when he needed to hold back and then held back when he needed to rush in. It was just a really poor defensive showing. Most disappointing was his effort on Thompson just before half time. If we chops him low, then it's an easy tackle and the play dies but no, he arm grabs up high which meant Thompson could fend him off and get the pass away with ease. I know I'm not out there and it's tough to just from the couch but that defensive performance from Jaxson last night was just not up to first grade standard. has the potential to be a star but this is a huge area he must work on.

Marshall: Well, where do I begin, seriously where do I begin? Were we watching 36 year old carve it up or a young fulla carve up? Benji certainly hasn't lost it that's for sure!! With Latrell out, he stepped into Cody's role and did not miss a beat at all, In fact, he was simply brilliant. I was simply in awe of some of the things he did last night. Benji magic on show all night. Probed early on and that continued all game. He was involved in everything good we did in attack. A beautiful pass to put Keaon in space for Cody's try, then amazing quick hands to again put Keaon through and then doesn't give up on the play, he backs up on the inside and goes over untouched. The real magic was his play for AJ's try though. taking a Cameron Murray offload, to race down field and just throw that miracle flick pass round the back on the inside for AJ was just amazing, one of the best plays I've seen this year. There was no way he knew where AJ actually was but he just knew AJ would be there if that makes sense, a freakish play. Capped his night off with another try of his own, taking a pass from AJ but it was Benji that created it with the long ball earlier in the play. Amazing stuff from Benjamin Button, our best last night!! What a player, what a legend!!

Reynolds: He's copping a bit on other forums but I actually throught Reyno had a pretty good night. His general play kicking and goal kicking was top notch with the only negative being that stupid short drop out he did, that was dumb as it changed the game and they scored the next three tries after that. Anyway, he was awesome on attack and executed his role to perfection. Reyno isn't getting enough praise for the role he played last night. yes, Benji and Cody were better and put on all the flashy plays but look who started most of our attacking movements. Look who it is digging into the line and providing the passes for Benji and Cody to do their thing. I will admit, apart from a few tackles, Reyno was poor defensively though. Especially the effort for Fifita's second try where he was beaten twice.

callmack1

Staff member
Burgess: Another mammoth game from big Tommy. Similar to last week, he was just so involved in both his stints but despite this, didn't look like he lacked any energy at any stage throughout the game. That showed in his runs as each one was barnstorming making 157 meters with 46 of them being post contact. Laid a brilliant platform, especially in his second stint.

Cook: Nice game Cookie. Again, he didn't do anything really flashy but he just performed his role. He ran whenever the opportunity presented itself and this created a few chances, brought the forwards onto the ball well, provided awesome service to benji, Reyno and Cody to do their thing and as always, his defence was top notch. Good, solid game Cookie.

Tatola: Not much to say about Junior as his night was ended very early through concussion. Will be in some doubt for next week but hoping for the best.

Koloamatangi: Didn't Keaon make an impact in his return game?! Jee wiz he was dominant!! Ran with aggression all night and had a high work rate which saw him rack up a big 158 meters which is a great effort. It wasn't just the power of his runs though, it was the trajectory. Keaon has been barnstorming for us in 2020 and 2021 but I have never really seen him hit a hole through a nicely angled run, that changed last night. Struck up an awesome combo with Benji and he read his passes to perfection that saw him go straight through twice, and twice, it was a pass back on the inside from Keaon and a try under the post. His best game so far this year!!

Su'A: Don't have a lot to say about Jaydn as he went off in the first half and didn't return. Not sure what the issue was, don't know whether he was injured or hooked. It wasn't a great night on defence for him though, some really soft attempts and tackles on Fifita. He failed to execute his role there.

Murray: Brilliant yet again. Just the typical Cam Murray performance. Huge work rate, I am always amazed at just how much clean up work he does for us when defending and everything he did was by the book. It was the same on attack as he had some brilliant runs. A great hole run off Reyno mid way through the second half to make a half break and then what a ball to Benji!! We all know the rest of what happened in that play. So yea, Cam up there with our best again.

Host: Came on and didn't do anything fancy but still had a really good game. Apart six decent runs, he didn't really do much onattack but what a job he did defending against Fifita. Dave has hardly spotted in the second half because of Hosty's work.

Nicholls: It wasn't his best game as he seemed to get dominated in a couple of tackles but he still had a good impact off the bench. Made 100 meters and you can't ask for a lot more from a bench forward. I do have to criticise his attempt to tackl Fifita in the lead up to that try though. He did make an attempt but it was all arm grabbing and ended up looking pretty poor in the end.

Knight: Same goes for Knight. He went okay with the ball, making some good charges and it was his very late offload to start the second half that created Gags' try. However, I thought his D left a lot to be desired. There was a lot of our players at fault in Fifita's second try but perhaps none more so than Knighty. He did didn't put his body on the line at all and almost just waved him through. Expect a lot better from a firey front rower.

Arrow: Performed well against his old club in a solid night out. Not a lot to talk about but had some really strong runs and was a machine in defence.

Over all, I'm just really happy to win a high scoring game like that. When the boys looked down and out at half time, they never gave up and completely turned it around in the second 40. We won that hlf 30-6, completing at 100% which is massive and that's more like it.

I will say, I have really warmed to the blue jersey!! As a one off, I now really love it!!

Happy Bunny again, let's sit back and enjoy the long weekend.

Travitoh

First Grade
I worry about our forward pack against the smaller, more athletic teams. The first half last night they were too quick through the middle with the ball and it left our guys peddling backwards for most of it. Penrith are going to cause us big problems. I've said for a while now that forward packs are slimming down and speeding up and last night was an example of that. The power game that won us a comp in 2014 is defunct.

Inexperience lost that game for GC as they had no answer for the ambush in the second half. They're a young team and our experience really took advantage of that.

It's far from doom and gloom but if we're to compete with Penrith for the comp, we need to be better athletically through the middle.

It's Souths or Penrith this season and right now I'd give Penrith the edge. But we're right in the mix with them.

BTW, John Sutton looks as fit as ever and would be an outstanding addition on an edge in the current Souths setup!

Rabbits20

Immortal
My mate just messaged to tell me Paulo is out 4 weeks, I hope it’s not true.

If so no

Trell
Sauce
Paulo
Burns
Jed (can play centre)

Could see this next week:

Cody
Gagai
Campbell
Marsters
AJ

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Walker: Had an exceptional night. I suggested Cody go to fullback early in the week too and I know many were against it but I highly doubt anyone will be against it next week! Look at how bloody well he played last night!! He was fantastic!! A seamless transition really. Slotted in so well at the back and combined like a regular fullback with Benji and Cookie etc. I loved how he was heavily involved and was pushing up through the middle as all good fullbacks should. The perfect example was him pushing up inside Keaon to take the final pass and finish a beautiful try. He also chimed into the backline really well, playing the 5/8 role on a few raids but was mainly the link man out the back and he looked so dangerous. Put on some quick hands for the final pass for Gagai's try and he created other chances at various times throughout the game. Safe under the high ball which kind of surprised me. That slips catch late in the second half at 30 all was crazy, no idea how he caught that!! The only area of his game that he was perhaps lacking was his defence as he made a few poor attempts as the last line of defence and we conceded a few tries as a result. can't knock him too much though as defence at the back is something a players needs to be used to. Otherwise, an exceptional night for Cody, very happy for him to continue at fullback while Latrell is out.

Johnston: Another great game by AJ. All the hit ups he had were pretty strong, kick returns included and he didn't make any errors under the high ball at all. Brilliant in attack as he took cut out passes as various times and used his speed to burn the inside defender, that looked super dangerous. Scored a freakish try as him and Benji communicated telepathically and he took that freakish ball from Marshall, bet a couple of defenders and crashed over. It then all paid off to when he took a brilliant pass from Benji late in the second stanza, raced down the sideline and went back inside with a pass to put Benji over. A good game from AJ.

Gagai: Speaking of good games, the ever consistent Dane Gagai was on again last night. It honestly amazed me just how much work he got through. Quality hit up after quality hit up, quality run after quality run. That was the story for the full 80 minutes as Gags was heavily involved and did a lot of work, he didn't stop. Ended up with 119 meters which is great. Was rewarded for his efforts with a try, that was a nice finish. On another note, he was a bit mixed on defenc has he came up with some great stops and didn't miss and crucial tackles but he did have five missed tackles all the same. Still a great night from him.

Graham: Having perhaps an even greater night though was Campbell Graham. Man, he was just enormous!! 13 runs for 125 meters, a line break, a try assist, 20 tackles with 3 missed is a pretty good night. Campbell was just in everything for us. His running game was immense as he had so many runs and they were all so strong. A brilliant effort to take the ball off a right hand shift, weave through the defence, find some space and with just the fullback to beat, had the vision to put in an amazing little grubber for Paulo to open our scoring account for the night. That was incredible stuff from Campbell. However, it was the defensive side of the game I think we were all most impressed with Campbell. A lot of traffic was sent his way and dispite missing a couple tackles on Fifita, he shut down a lot of that play down the right edge. Seemed to be on his own at times in defence but he handled it well and looked really strong. A fantastic game Cammy, up there with our best of the night.

Paulo: Jaxson had a really mixed game and I don't really know how to feel about it. I thought he was awesome with the ball, making a lot of really strong carries to pick up all important meters and took a Campbell Graham grubber brilliantly for his first try of the year. However, the defensive side of his game was seriously lacking. For most of the game, he was all at sea. Arm grabbing, would rush in when he needed to hold back and then held back when he needed to rush in. It was just a really poor defensive showing. Most disappointing was his effort on Thompson just before half time. If we chops him low, then it's an easy tackle and the play dies but no, he arm grabs up high which meant Thompson could fend him off and get the pass away with ease. I know I'm not out there and it's tough to just from the couch but that defensive performance from Jaxson last night was just not up to first grade standard. has the potential to be a star but this is a huge area he must work on.

Marshall: Well, where do I begin, seriously where do I begin? Were we watching 36 year old carve it up or a young fulla carve up? Benji certainly hasn't lost it that's for sure!! With Latrell out, he stepped into Cody's role and did not miss a beat at all, In fact, he was simply brilliant. I was simply in awe of some of the things he did last night. Benji magic on show all night. Probed early on and that continued all game. He was involved in everything good we did in attack. A beautiful pass to put Keaon in space for Cody's try, then amazing quick hands to again put Keaon through and then doesn't give up on the play, he backs up on the inside and goes over untouched. The real magic was his play for AJ's try though. taking a Cameron Murray offload, to race down field and just throw that miracle flick pass round the back on the inside for AJ was just amazing, one of the best plays I've seen this year. There was no way he knew where AJ actually was but he just knew AJ would be there if that makes sense, a freakish play. Capped his night off with another try of his own, taking a pass from AJ but it was Benji that created it with the long ball earlier in the play. Amazing stuff from Benjamin Button, our best last night!! What a player, what a legend!!

Reynolds: He's copping a bit on other forums but I actually throught Reyno had a pretty good night. His general play kicking and goal kicking was top notch with the only negative being that stupid short drop out he did, that was dumb as it changed the game and they scored the next three tries after that. Anyway, he was awesome on attack and executed his role to perfection. Reyno isn't getting enough praise for the role he played last night. yes, Benji and Cody were better and put on all the flashy plays but look who started most of our attacking movements. Look who it is digging into the line and providing the passes for Benji and Cody to do their thing. I will admit, apart from a few tackles, Reyno was poor defensively though. Especially the effort for Fifita's second try where he was beaten twice.
Good summary.
Just one point to make here, it's not Reynolds' job to stop Fifita rampaging at the line from 10 out. It was Knight who missed the first tackle, before Fifita got a head of steam up, then Reynolds made two attempts, but where was the help D?
Also you left out, it was Adam w with a 40-20 that led to Souths first try, his kicking game was good overall, his goal kicking was spectacular, and it was his ball play at first receiver that was able to link up with Benji and destroy GC in the 2nd half. You've sold him short a bit here.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Good summary.
Just one point to make here, it's not Reynolds' job to stop Fifita rampaging at the line from 10 out. It was Knight who missed the first tackle, before Fifita got a head of steam up, then Reynolds made two attempts, but where was the help D?
Also you left out, it was Adam w with a 40-20 that led to Souths first try, his kicking game was good overall, his goal kicking was spectacular, and it was his ball play at first receiver that was able to link up with Benji and destroy GC in the 2nd half. You've sold him short a bit here.
Admin dont seem to know the value of Reynolds on this team unfortunately

Rabbits20

Immortal
F
Good summary.
fully agree sorry Callmack!

Jim Rockford

Bench
Have to agree with this. Reyno was huge for us and it was his play that allowed Benji to run riot.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
My mate just messaged to tell me Paulo is out 4 weeks, I hope it’s not true.

If so no

Trell
Sauce
Paulo
Burns
Jed (can play centre)

Could see this next week:

Cody
Gagai
Campbell
Marsters
AJ
I should have taken up that bet with Travitoh about Burns being broken down and not gonna feature in this season, I'd be looking the goods right now, but I'm not gloating because it would have been short priced odds to predict Burns would be broken down

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Admin dont seem to know the value of Reynolds on this team unfortunately
Have to agree with this. Reyno was huge for us and it was his play that allowed Benji to run riot.
Reynolds knows how to run a team offense. Everybody is saying it about the value of Reynolds to Souths: Daley, Fittler, Joey, Blocker, Ennis. I trust their word more than some here on these boards