What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 V Roosters

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Not sure I would call the knights victory a well rounded 80 minute performance.
But anyway, hoping at least one change to the spine this week. We can’t leave everything up to Ben Hunt with regards to creating in attack, it’s too predictable.
Need our 1, 6, 9 to contribute.
Mbye has been solid enough but no spark, Sloan has to get a run soon
Suli was excellent against Knights BTW, get him plenty of ball.
What we're missing from Mbye was exemplified by Papenhuyzen when he backed up the break from Munster against the Sharks to score. Sheer speed. Munster isn't slow but pap, like Slater before him, is always hanging around dummy half to back up those half breaks and he mowed down the gap between he and Munster in a flash to take the pass and score untouched. If Tyrell rather than Mbye had been playing Sims may have had a support right on his shoulder rather than slightly behind him.

Como Connection

First Grade
Not sure I would call the knights victory a well rounded 80 minute performance.
But anyway, hoping at least one change to the spine this week. We can’t leave everything up to Ben Hunt with regards to creating in attack, it’s too predictable.
Mbye has been solid enough but no spark, Sloan has to get a run soon
Suli was excellent against Knights BTW, get him plenty of ball.
Mybe has been very reliable and should stay there for the time being.
CC

BLM01

First Grade
Yes- Lawrie is hardly the prototype of the modern front rower but he does have an exceptional work rate. That is why he gets a gig in the teams I choose.

George Burgess seems off the pace to me. Struggling to get involved.
Yeh needs time, but is a penalty magnet
That one just befor half time yesterday was costly

justadragon

Bench
I know a lot of us on the forum are saying we should put Hunt in at hooker and play Sullivan at half but maybe what we should do is put Hunt in at 6 and Sullivan at 7. Just something that is worth a try I think. Hook won't move McCullough from hooker and Mbye from fullback just yet so think it might be worth a go and Amone on the bench still. What do you guys think?
good point DD but after watching bud play in ressies he was still sucking in the big ones even behind a dominate pack. as i mentioned in my previous post that id leave him in ressies to really get his match fitness up ready for the big step into nrl this time as a half showing that real spark off the mark.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Yes- Lawrie is hardly the prototype of the modern front rower but he does have an exceptional work rate. That is why he gets a gig in the teams I choose.

George Burgess seems off the pace to me. Struggling to get involved.
IMO Burgess is well and truly off the pace and i dont mean timing wise....its not just lack of match practice either.....he looks totally unfit to me....I think he needs a longer stint in reserves before if and when we get any impact from him...hopefully he proves me wrong

I'm Hornby

Juniors
What we're missing from Mbye was exemplified by Papenhuyzen when he backed up the break from Munster against the Sharks to score. Sheer speed. Munster isn't slow but pap, like Slater before him, is always hanging around dummy half to back up those half breaks and he mowed down the gap between he and Munster in a flash to take the pass and score untouched. If Tyrell rather than Mbye had been playing Sims may have had a support right on his shoulder rather than slightly behind him.
Didn't Mbye throw the pass that put Sims through the line in the first place? Think he mightve been tackled after passing as well but I'm relying purely on my often unreliable memory here, so please correct me if I'm wrong 🙂

blacksafake

First Grade
I dare say starving him of the ball is not giving him every opportunity.

Doesn’t matter who was there Sims was never going to pass. It’s not the first time he’s done it.
I dont think we can blame Burgess for that penalty.....Ponga backed into him head bent in an awkward position....there was bugger all in it Ponga milked it to the max ...conned the ref big time..unfortunately it was costly as you rightly point out...
And proceeded to bounce straight back up to his feet as soon as the whistle went lol.

This would be my team if I was picking

1. Tyrell Sloan
2. Mathew Feagai
3. Zac Lomax
4. Moses Suli
5. Mikaele Ravalawa
6. Junior Amone
7. Ben Hunt
8. Francis Molo
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Aaron Woods
11. Jaydn Su’a
12. Jack Bird
13. Jack De Belin
BENCH
14. Moses Mbye
15. Tariq Sims
16. Josh McGuire
17. George Burgess
I like it, Big Rig - but I'd go for Blocker in the #10 over Woods. Some lazy defending notwithstanding, his game was pretty solid on Saturday.

I like it, Big Rig - but I'd go for Blocker in the #10 over Woods. Some lazy defending notwithstanding, his game was pretty solid on Saturday.
Is 'Blocker' Lawrie? He was awesome with his 21 for 171m against the Knights so deserves another crack in the run on side. Where is Wood's form. Figured he'd be playing out of his skin, this being his last chance saloon. But his figures are paltry.

Last edited:
Therein lies our inability to win games. Bird, McCullogh have to go, with Hunt at hooker and Mybe in the halves to supply some creativity. With Mbye running the show Amone may come out of his shell and produce his A running game.. like he did to set up our last try.

Last edited:
Didn't Mbye throw the pass that put Sims through the line
Sure was Moses. You dont expect either of our so called playmakers, Hunt and Bird to be able to make that play. To Hunt's credit he had his best game. Bird on the other hand has not had a solitary try assist from his three games at 5/8. Bench him or ressies please Griffin.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
It was Moses all right. You dont expect either of our so called playmakers, Hunt and Bird to be able to make that play. Bird has not had a solitary try assist from his three games at 5/8 yet our drongo coach keeps picking him there. The bench or ressies please.
Bird needs to be in the team - he backs up and scores tries. He isn't a playmaker though and hasn't got any of the magic like Jarome Luai at 5/8th. Mbye would be ok, but I'm thinking that Hook will keep the spine as is for several games. I don't think that he feels the combination of Sloan, Amone, Sullivan and Hunt is a goer for a while if at all.

Dragon David

First Grade
So do most of our other backs. But most are quicker and smarter than Bird... ditto McCullogh. Hunt for him.. Amone for Bird, Moses for Hunt and Sloan or Ramsay at the back.
Everything is worth a try as far as I am concerned. However, we won the last game and Hook won't change a winning team. He likes to play things safe and doesn't appear to want to take risks and as he has the final say the team for the Roosters game will be the same except that Kerr might not be included and Woods likely to come in.