What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Broncos 2016 Game Discussion

Swarzey

Bench
Oh and Norman wants 800k.

Let that sink in, consider his inconsistency and the ask again if he's a good option.

Joel-22

Juniors
Mybe is all but signed, Marshall is over the hill considerably and Norman has thrown 5 good games together; I still have more fingers than the amount of good games he's played in what? 5 years?

Jennings (all of them) are wrapped up, O'Neil sure, Waqa is most likely gone to Union.

lol please.

Norman has played more good games this season than Mullen has played in the last 2 seasons.

Benji is 31 and still has more attacking ability than Mullen and Hokko combined.

I'd take Benji or Norman over either of our halves.

Swarzey

Bench
LOOOOOOOL did you actually say Marshall has more attacking ability than BOTH of our halves? This isnt f**king 2005.

If you're going to clutch at straws then make sure you're reaching for the quality ones because this is embarrassing.

Joel-22

Juniors
Lol Benji???????? Go to bed mate, it's late.

I just don't see any other options outside of the players I named. While not ideal, it's better than the stinking heap of shit running around for us atm.

What do you think we should do? Persist with the likes of Jarrod 'this season I'm ready' Mullen and Fat Mata'utia?

We need someone who is at least unpredictable instead of predictably mediocre.

Noname36

First Grade
I just don't see any other options outside of the players I named. While not ideal, it's better than the stinking heap of shit running around for us atm.

What do you think we should do? Persist with the likes of Jarrod 'this season I'm ready' Mullen and Fat Mata'utia?

We need someone who is at least unpredictable instead of predictably mediocre.

I think if better options come along we should certainly try and take them but the options you suggested for 5/8s at least are not better at all...especially for the coin. I mean Benji? Seriously? Have you watched him at all this year?

For the record on what we've seen this year I'd have Mullen over Hodko on what they've offered but I know I'm probably alone there. I don't envy either of them at the moment under the current circumstances of the side. They're clearly down on form/combinations but it's difficult to gouge whether they're the problem or they're struggling with all the changes/inexperience in the spine, centres and back row.

Last edited:

Joel-22

Juniors
LOOOOOOOL did you actually say Marshall has more attacking ability than BOTH of our halves? This isnt f**king 2005.

If you're going to clutch at straws then make sure you're reaching for the quality ones because this is embarrassing.

Benji Marshall
Try Assists:23
ARM:1213
LBs:5
LBAs:18
Try Assists:13
ARMs:782
LBs:7
LBAs:12

Jarrod Mullen
Try Assists: 7
ARM:543
LBs:1
LBAs:9
Try Assists: 8
ARM:741
LBs:4
LBAs:7

Can't be bothered doing Hokkos but an overweight Benji still took a giant shit on Mullen after coming into a brand new team he'd never played with halfway through the 2014 season, the same year he was playing an entirely different game.

Joel-22

Juniors
I think if better options come along we should certainly try and take them but the options you suggested for 5/8s at least are not better at all...especially for the coin. I mean Benji? Seriously? Have you watched him at all this year?

For the record on what we've seen this year I'd have Mullen over Hodko on what they've offered but I know I'm probably alone there. I don't envy either of them at the moment under the current circumstances of the side. They're clearly down on form/combinations but it's difficult to gouge whether they're the problem or they're struggling with all the changes/inexperience in the spine, centres and back row.

He's only played 3 games this year and last year he had 23 try assists.
Has Mullen ever produced a figure like that even at his "peak"?

Noname36

First Grade
He's only played 3 games this year and last year he had 23 try assists.
Has Mullen ever produced a figure like that even at his "peak"?

You're right, those are good numbers for Benji - but numbers don't always tell the story. What does is that his side visibly improved drastically this week in attack without him there. Most Dragons fans are also screaming for him to retire. He's not the right replacement option for us - in fact we'd be an even bigger laughing stock if we entertained the idea.

Last edited:

Joel-22

Juniors
You're right, those are good numbers for Benji - but number's don't always tell the story. What does is that his side visibly improved drastically this week in attack without him there. Most Dragons fans are also screaming for him to retire. He's not the right option for us - in fact we'd be an even bigger laughing stock if we entertained the idea.

I agree with the bold. I just have not been impressed at all by our halves this season and I think it's time we part ways with Mullen. He's way too injury prone and a mental midget to go with it.
What's depressing is coming across Joey's numbers from 2006

TAs: 30
LBAs: 39

Can we just clone the man? lol

Noname36

First Grade
I agree with the bold. I just have not been impressed at all by our halves this season and I think it's time we part ways with Mullen. He's way too injury prone and a mental midget to go with it.
What's depressing is coming across Joey's numbers from 2006

TAs: 30
LBAs: 39

Can we just clone the man? lol

I haven't been impressed with the halves either however as I said upthread it's difficult to establish at the moment whether they're the problem or if they're struggling given this is a very new squad with a heap of chop changing of very inexperienced players around them.

I don't think many halves would be able to come in and automatically be killing it - apart from Joey like you said :(

Turton Road

Juniors
Not sure how Mullo has become a point of conversation after only playing 5 mins tonight?

We, as fans, need to just write off this game. It was going to be difficult enough to come close to competing with the Broncos with a full strength side and playing well for 80 mins, which we did neither of.

Trust me, this result pains me as much as anyone. I was at the game and I live in Brisbane, I hate seeing us lose to them. The players hopefully learnt a bit from tonight and will pick themselves up and put in a far stronger effort for our next game.

Exactly mate well said! True fan

Turton Road

Juniors
Not sure how Mullo has become a point of conversation after only playing 5 mins tonight?

We, as fans, need to just write off this game. It was going to be difficult enough to come close to competing with the Broncos with a full strength side and playing well for 80 mins, which we did neither of.

Trust me, this result pains me as much as anyone. I was at the game and I live in Brisbane, I hate seeing us lose to them. The players hopefully learnt a bit from tonight and will pick themselves up and put in a far stronger effort for our next game.

5/8s: Marshall, Norman, Mbye
Centres: Jennings bros, O'Neill, Waqa

sign one of each

release:
Mullen, Snowden, Uate, McManus, Rochow,

More fantasy league talk

slotmachine

First Grade
I haven't been impressed with the halves either however as I said upthread it's difficult to establish at the moment whether they're the problem or if they're struggling given this is a very new squad with a heap of chop changing of very inexperienced players around them.

I don't think many halves would be able to come in and automatically be killing it - apart from Joey like you said :(

They're struggling big time mate.
Inexperienced team mates doesn't make Mullen kick the ball dead in an attacking position after we had a great set in attack and had been punishing the broncs for five minutes. Chopping and changing doesn't make hodko kick it out on the full or pass to Uate inside our own 30 on the last tackle.

You can feel the side deflate when they work really hard and then there is just a ludicrously bad or stupid end to a set.

Joel-22

Juniors
I have to say, I thought Mataora was again our best forward (in a side where our forwards were dominated). We missed him as soon as he went off and he had an immediate impact as soon as he came on.

He's the real deal.

Spot On

Coach
I have to say, I thought Mataora was again our best forward (in a side where our forwards were dominated). We missed him as soon as he went off and he had an immediate impact as soon as he came on.

He's the real deal.

The one shining Knight, I meant light, from the game.for us. He and Sione can hold their heads high.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I agree that Mullo and Hodko haven't been great so far, their last tackle options especially are terrible. But it would be a knee-jerk reaction to bring in a half that is just as inconsistent.

Benji - IMO one of the most overrated players in the comp and has been for some time, the commentators are stuck in the past and still think it's 2005 when they talk about him.

Norman - He's been one of the best halves this year because Parra have finally got their shit together and have a pretty good team playing around him but where was he the last few years when Parra were struggling? given he didn't stand up and make a difference in that team I don't have much hope that he could do that in our team which is arguably in a worse position than what Parra was over the last few years. Also $800k is a bit too much for him, sorry no thanks.

We would be much better off picking up a half who's first grade ready but not getting a go at another team, e.g. Sam Williams or someone like that.

At least our current halves have the potential to be better and improve their combination with more time spent together on the field. Getting a decent centre I think is more of a priority IMO , Pat Mat is out of his depth and is unlikely to improve unless he grows another leg. He's not a threat in attack and he's just too slow to stop his opposition getting around him, James Roberts made him look like a clown last night.

Once again we're unlikely to get an elite player here but maybe we could get a guy who's first grade ready but not getting much of a run at another club. Would anyone take Gerrard Beale? He's not getting a look in at the Sharks at the moment and would be way better than Pat Mat.

Spot On

Coach
The facts are our defensive structures are still shit. Anyone can make money backing our opposition and surely everyone knows to back Uate ' s opposite for first try scorer. I really thought this would be the big area of improvement under Brown but alas our defence is shit.

We are predictable. I've been saying for years that every coach in the comp is aware of our faults and the good ones target them with ease. How the Tigers failed to score enough points down our right edge to get the win last week is a mystery. Put simply, the players must not listen to Taylor or he aint a coaches crack.

We really don't hit hard enough in defence often enough. Too often two blokes hold on up top and the ball carrier advances well over the advantage line and the roll on continues next tackle. Good defensive sides have the 3rd man in go hard around the legs (not illegally) and stop the forward momentum. We do not do this often enough.

Then there's our halves. You all see the end of set options there. I'm not going to place total blame on them but FFS the kicking options are mostly dead set moronic. For years Mullo has been using this stupid low sort of bomb, if you can call it that, and now Hodgko is doing the same all the time. Some variation would be nice.

slotmachine

First Grade
Some variation would be nice.

The variation is kicking it dead and giving the opposition a 7 tackle set. Or kicking it out on the full.

The first 10 or so minutes showed the team knows what to do in the ruck. 3 or 4 guys in every tackle, rolling guys on their back, peeling off to slow everything down.

Would have been interesting to see how things would have gone without the injuries. We probably wouldn't have scored because the halves are monumentally stupid, but the Broncs wouldn't have got anywhere near 50.

Latest posts