What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 Vs Bulldogs

Rabbits20

Immortal
How many games have you watched Seve play? Must have been a lot to know he would walk onto our team. How many rep teams has Seve made? How many have Jennings and Burns made?
He'd waltz in no problem!!!!

I've seen him play!!!!!!!!

Go Bunnies

Juniors
Burns in the second half has been gaining confidence, attacking bombs (still has problems but at least his going for it) and volunteering for tough runs. Good signs from him. Talaki had been way improved in defence this week, i wouldn't be dropping him, especially as there aren't many other options[/
Our backs have been up and down. Burns is playing really well. Jennings is really up and down. Goodwin too.
Sorry don't agree Burns is doing well- he is scared of the highball and AJ had to cover all kicks for most of the game because of this. I also think Talakai is better than a lot of people on here give him credit for.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Sorry don't agree Burns is doing well- he is scared of the highball and AJ had to cover all kicks for most of the game because of this. I also think Talakai is better than a lot of people on here give him credit for.
He has a long way to go burns, at the start of the game he was running away from bombs. As the game wore on he was starting to get himself involved more and by the end he at least had a try at diffusing a bomb ( though was outleaped by Montoya). All baby steps, he is only young and has been picked before his time

callmack1

Staff member
Well what a tough old game that was. I was actually enjoying how gritty it was (although both sides weren't great) up until the 60th minute or so. We were the better side for most of that game and we let it slip. It's like last year, we just faded out of the game at a crucial time and that is just not good enough!

We had so many chances but our attack was in all sorts, yes the dogs defended well but we looked like we had no creativity at all, it was just going through the motions. What happened to the attack of Rounds 2 and 3? That was brilliant! Looks like Sam and George will be spending time on the sidelines with two really dumb plays tbh.

Johnston: Very mixed. Rocks and diamonds, he had some good runs and that try he scored was truly brilliant. Then a few minutes later he has an incredibly stupid play, how hard is it to kick the ball dead? Yes Jennings and Goodwin didn't communicate but seriously. He needs to be more consistent.

Burns: Again mixed. I was impressed with a few of his runs but he still looks very shaky under the high ball, as some have said, he was actually moving away from bombs in the first half.

Talaki: Mixed once again. He wasn't really bad and his defence was still a little better but he's just not quite there sadly.

Jennings: Not great it has to be said. A few errors and although he made a few good tackles, he still hasn't fixed up his defence over all. He was disappointing

Goodwin: Solid. Didn't get involved much but he was good when he got the ball. Almost powered over for that try and I thought he was unlucky to have that try disallowed. I understand the rule that the player must catch the ball outside that decoy runners inside shoulder but for mine, Josh Reynolds made the decision to tackle Sutto so.

Walker: Quiet compared to his usual standards, He looked dangerous a few times but just didn't get the ball enough.

Reynolds: Mixed. Put in some good plays and almost created some opportunities but then had some very poor plays and average last tackle options. that field goal was amazing though. Thank god he wasn't injured in that tackle, my heart was in my mouth.

T.Burgess: He was okay. Got through plenty of work and had some good runs. I don't think he made an error either.

Cook: I thought he was good. Darts from dummy half looked sharp and saved two tries. We are better with him on the field imo.

Turner: Wasn't too bad. Not as good as last week though. Some strong runs but also some weak ones.

Sutton: Not great tbh. Very lazy in defence at marker which cost us a try and his runs didn't have as much punch as last week. A poor effort from him. He needs to find consistency.

Crichton: I thought he was solid. One of our best forwards, yes, he made a few errors but his runs were a lot stronger than many of the other forwards.

S.Burgess: Had that really stupid brain explosion early on which will cost us in the next few weeks but he was our best tonight. Great runs and 100% effort. He tries his heart out every game, if only everyone else could do the same.

Farah: He was okay. Wasn't outstanding but wasn't bad. I think his service from dummy half is a wee bit slow though.

Clark: Quiet. He didn't do much at all which is a shame because he was good last week.

Musgrove: See above. Like Clark, it wasn't the impact we've come to expect.

G.Burgess: Mixed. It's a real shame. I thought he was finally, slowly playing himself back into form. He was cutting out the errors and his strong carries were coming back. He has set himself and therefore the whole side back for that stupid brain explosion, I'm questioning his attitude.

It was like 2016 tonight. Errors in attack and defence at critical moments and giving away silly penalties. Attack was clunky close to the line and this needs to be addressed ASAP or we will flounder.

However, We were slowly getting on top of them until that 60th minute or so but if was a really poor effort after that. We could have and should have won that game, we put ourselves in a position to do so but we choked. That is simple not acceptable. It's that fact which makes this result so hard to take.

The side need to have a good hard look at themselves this week. It's the basics we are getting wrong, fix them up and we will find some consistency and be okay.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Once again we lose a game and once again people are losing their heads, calling for changes and the like without analysing the nature of the loss. The reason why we lost today is very simple: we simply didn't take our opportunities. I posted after last weeks win that it would have been an absolute tragedy if we had been beaten by Penrith after being so dominant in the second half because we weren't capitalising on our dominance and a similar sort of scenario eventuated this afternoon. Make no mistake we were the better side for the majority of the second half, particularly in the forwards. However, dominance counts for absolutely nothing if it isn't being converted into points! Unfortunately, I think Adam Reynolds needs to shoulder much of the blame. I thought his last tackle options and his overall decision make were poor this afternoon; he needs to go back to basics - rolling the ball into the in goal area, putting up bombs and kicking for his outside men. His positional play on the last tackle also needs to be a bit deeper because at present he is standing too far forward, meaning that he isn't giving himself enough time to execute his kicks.

Other areas where we let outselves down were our handling and our discipline. Many people will say that the Dogs made just as many as we did or a similar amount in both areas but that is playing into their hands. Canterbury are the sort of team that thrive in scrappy games and giving away stupid ruck and stripping penalties in particular really hurt us. What I don't understand is why on earth we made those sorts of mistakes against Canterbury when we appeared to had moved past silly indiscretions in the opening rounds. Maybe we fell into the trap of trying to match Canterbury at their own game? If we did then that was a bad error! Either way I think our discipline let us down and handling let us down.

In terms of positives, I thought our defence for large part was pretty good. I understand the fact that we conceded 4 tries but really only the Alex Johnston error was the only soft try. In particular, I thought our goal line defence was quite decent and it seems to be improving all the time. I definitely think Braidon Burns seems a bit unsure when it comes to defusing bombs but I'd be willing to persevere with him at this stage; dropping players every time they make a mistake is not the solution. Both our hookers were also good for us. During the week there was a discussion regarding the clubs hookers and whether we made the right decision in letting McInnes go. I don't think you need any more proof of how good we've got in the hooking department than today's game. Both hookers showed us what they bring to the table - we had constantly speeding up the ruck by catching out markers and getting our forwards moving in the right direction and we also saw Farah at his best controlling the game and acting like a second halfback; it is no coincidence that we were controlling the game during the period that Farah was out there in the second half. Finally, honorable mentions go out to George Burgess and Kyle Turner. While big brother Sam was obviously at his usual best, I thought George was particularly good today other than when he got involved in a stupid altercation with James Graham; he didn't drop the ball and ran with a bit of gusto which is what you want from him. Similarly, Kyle Turner is proving all his doubters wrong. I don't know if hes been doing some extra weights training but he seems to really putting his head down and making some good metres at prop!

All in all, I don't think we should be losing our heads just yet. Its not as if we are making horrendous reads in defence and capitulating like we were last season. We dominated the game for most of the second half; we just need to work on getting points on the board. For instance, I'd like to see us go back to using set plays - we seemed to cut teams open at will in the opening couple of rounds when put on set moves! Why has it stopped? Maybe we could also work on having the Burgess brother drift out and run at the try line from wider areas and/or work plays where we isolate little men and have them run at them in the line. It doesn't matter what route we go down so long as we start putting points on the board.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Callmack love your work but in all honesty Jennings was disgraceful.

Can't catch
Obstructs plays
Turnstile defensively
Doesn't do shit work

Extremely disappointing!!!!!!!

Must be dropped.

callmack1

Staff member
Once again we lose a game and once again people are losing their heads, calling for changes and the like without analysing the nature of the loss. The reason why we lost today is very simple: we simply didn't take our opportunities. I posted after last weeks win that it would have been an absolute tragedy if we had been beaten by Penrith after being so dominant in the second half because we weren't capitalising on our dominance and a similar sort of scenario eventuated this afternoon. Make no mistake we were the better side for the majority of the second half, particularly in the forwards. However, dominance counts for absolutely nothing if it isn't being converted into points! Unfortunately, I think Adam Reynolds needs to shoulder much of the blame. I thought his last tackle options and his overall decision make were poor this afternoon; he needs to go back to basics - rolling the ball into the in goal area, putting up bombs and kicking for his outside men. His positional play on the last tackle also needs to be a bit deeper because at present he is standing too far forward, meaning that he isn't giving himself enough time to execute his kicks.

Other areas where we let outselves down were our handling and our discipline. Many people will say that the Dogs made just as many as we did or a similar amount in both areas but that is playing into their hands. Canterbury are the sort of team that thrive in scrappy games and giving away stupid ruck and stripping penalties in particular really hurt us. What I don't understand is why on earth we made those sorts of mistakes against Canterbury when we appeared to had moved past silly indiscretions in the opening rounds. Maybe we fell into the trap of trying to match Canterbury at their own game? If we did then that was a bad error! Either way I think our discipline let us down and handling let us down.

In terms of positives, I thought our defence for large part was pretty good. I understand the fact that we conceded 4 tries but really only the Alex Johnston error was the only soft try. In particular, I thought our goal line defence was quite decent and it seems to be improving all the time. I definitely think Braidon Burns seems a bit unsure when it comes to defusing bombs but I'd be willing to persevere with him at this stage; dropping players every time they make a mistake is not the solution. Both our hookers were also good for us. During the week there was a discussion regarding the clubs hookers and whether we made the right decision in letting McInnes go. I don't think you need any more proof of how good we've got in the hooking department than today's game. Both hookers showed us what they bring to the table - we had constantly speeding up the ruck by catching out markers and getting our forwards moving in the right direction and we also saw Farah at his best controlling the game and acting like a second halfback; it is no coincidence that we were controlling the game during the period that Farah was out there in the second half. Finally, honorable mentions go out to George Burgess and Kyle Turner. While big brother Sam was obviously at his usual best, I thought George was particularly good today other than when he got involved in a stupid altercation with James Graham; he didn't drop the ball and ran with a bit of gusto which is what you want from him. Similarly, Kyle Turner is proving all his doubters wrong. I don't know if hes been doing some extra weights training but he seems to really putting his head down and making some good metres at prop!

All in all, I don't think we should be losing our heads just yet. Its not as if we are making horrendous reads in defence and capitulating like we were last season. We dominated the game for most of the second half; we just need to work on getting points on the board. For instance, I'd like to see us go back to using set plays - we seemed to cut teams open at will in the opening couple of rounds when put on set moves! Why has it stopped? Maybe we could also work on having the Burgess brother drift out and run at the try line from wider areas and/or work plays where we isolate little men and have them run at them in the line. It doesn't matter what route we go down so long as we start putting points on the board.
Great post, couldn't agree more.

callmack1

Staff member
Callmack love your work but in all honesty Jennings was disgraceful.

Can't catch
Obstructs plays
Turnstile defensively
Doesn't do shit work

Extremely disappointing!!!!!!!

Must be dropped.
I know he wasn't great, I'd rather him than Talaki though.

Rabbits20

Immortal
We are currently leaking 22 points a match on average and that's unacceptable if you want to have a chance at the finals.

We are only scoring just over 17 points a match too.

CAFPOW

Juniors
With the exception of Goodwin, Sam and Walker. Are the rest of the team are trained that when they are about 2m away from the opposition defense line, it's a must to stop or slow down and wait to get tackled? I am under the impression that our backs and forwards do that so they not only don't get hurt, waiting to get tackled allows them to have that reserved strength to get up quickly for that quick play the ball. Am I the only one that sees this?

callmack1

Staff member
With the exception of Goodwin, Sam and Walker. Are the rest of the team are trained that when they are about 2m away from the opposition defense line, it's a must to stop or slow down and wait to get tackled? I am under the impression that our backs and forwards do that so they not only don't get hurt, waiting to get tackled allows them to have that reserved strength to get up quickly for that quick play the ball. Am I the only one that sees this?
No you're not, I agree. It needs to stop. Run hard.

Latest posts