What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Roosters

Dragon David

First Grade
Dragons coach weighs in on fate of skipper Ben Hunt ahead of ANZAC clash
4 hours ago
James Willis
ANTHONY GRIFFINBEN HUNTrugby league featured
Ben-Hunt-Dragons.png

St George Illawarra Dragons coach Anthony Griffin has told James Willis he’s still unsure if his captain will be fit to play on Sunday.

Ben Hunt is definitely eager to play the ANZAC Day game, Griffin confirmed, but he and the medical team won’t take any risks.

“We’ll have a look at him tomorrow, we’ll give him every chance to play.

“He’s back running now, and has been for a couple of weeks, so he’s touch and go.”

https://www.2gb.com/dragons-coach-weighs-in-on-fate-of-skipper-ben-hunt-ahead-of-anzac-clash/
If Hunt has the slightest niggle or pain, he should not play. Players have to be 100% fit to survive a full game nowadays, so please make sure that Hunt is 100% Hook!

Dragon David

First Grade
Could very well be , however there seems to be so much more intent in the Panthers this season and whether or not Cleary can do the deed , then I am sure that the players will in his stead .

Just on a side note , I have noticed that Penrith are employing the same tactics - almost - as the Storm . There was a tackle on Tyson Fizzell where he gather the ball and immediately went to ground , but that did not stop 2 panthers coming in ( 1 late ) and holding him down when he was already stationary .

Of course the ref could see no fault in that and allowed the panthers to get away with it , even although he was prevented from playing the ball , teams used to be penalized for that , but not anymore apparently .

Got me beat ? :thinking:
I'm thinking that if those sort of tactics work for the Storm then Penrith have been keeping a close watch over them. The coaching personnel at Penrith will be analysing every game the Storm play this year. They would be pissed off that they could not get the big prize last year. The Storm won the first half but the Panthers came roaring back in the second. They know that they can beat the Storm.

So by using those tactics and being able to escape penalty, they most probably will continue to do so with blind eyes watching from the refs. We on the other hand will have the refs watching with their 20/20 vision to penalise us if we employed the tactics.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Fair enough but Clune actually lines up against the 18 year old not Norman... Even so, the reason for my “Hunt need him” comment comes the stronger defence that Hunt delivers over our current half. His defence prior to injury was fantastic and we have unfortunately had some misses in this area over the last few weeks, something not lost on Robinson i’m sure.
I matters little who he lines up against. Walker won’t be single handedly defending either. What I’m highlighting is that on paper our halves should be better than theirs. Even Clune is vastly more experienced than Walker. I’m confident our forwards can match theirs, so there should be no excuses. I just don’t want to risk Hunt. Recently broken bones only heal so fast. Sure he can run all day but first big tackle and he could break it again and be out for 6 weeks. Long story short if we put pressure on their halves and match their forwards we can break them down.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I matters little who he lines up against. Walker won’t be single handedly defending either. What I’m highlighting is that on paper our halves should be better than theirs. Even Clune is vastly more experienced than Walker. I’m confident our forwards can match theirs, so there should be no excuses. I just don’t want to risk Hunt. Recently broken bones only heal so fast. Sure he can run all day but first big tackle and he could break it again and be out for 6 weeks. Long story short if we put pressure on their halves and match their forwards we can break them down.
Agree with you, match ups are pretty irrelevant; I’m pretty sure Griffin wouldn’t take the punt anyway, he knows it’s a long year and the medical staff would be very confident if they decide to play him.
Must say that their two halves are pretty tidy though and are fitting in to the professional machine that Easts are. Hope we see Tariq target Walker OFTEN though.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If Hunt is 100% fit then he plays. However, he shouldn't play if it's only because it's ANZAC Day and wants to be a part of the ceremony etc.

We need to do a Warriors against them as well, send our attack at Walker and Hutch make them tackle and then hit them hard in defense.

Wouldn't surprise to see a late inclusion into the 17 (not Hunt).

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Agree with you, match ups are pretty irrelevant; I’m pretty sure Griffin wouldn’t take the punt anyway, he knows it’s a long year and the medical staff would be very confident if they decide to play him.
Must say that their two halves are pretty tidy though and are fitting in to the professional machine that Easts are.
Hope we see Tariq target Walker OFTEN though.
They went well until they faced Melbourne who really targeted them. Even Tedesco looked average without the halves creating everything. At least we have a template to work off. I’ve been pretty impressed with Hutchison tbh. Walker has looked slick but I still think we have the players to put him off his game

getsmarty

Immortal
Soward’s ANZAC plot to contain B-Moz
Author
Margie McDonald NRL.com
Timestamp
Sat 24 Apr 2021, 09:01 AM
Share on social media
Brett Morris returning to the Sydney Roosters backline both pleases and slightly terrifies True Blue Jamie Soward as he plots to limit the 35-year-old’s influence.

Soward, in his capacity as one of the assistant coaches at St George Illawarra, must work on strategies to try to contain ‘B-Moz’ at the annual Anzac Day clash at the SCG on Sunday.

He is the NRL’s leading try scorer with 11, along with 21 tackle busts and nine line breaks in five games. Morris returns to the Roosters line-up after missing the 20-4 loss to the Storm the previous round because of a calf muscle strain.

“It does help … it’s a bit of a headache for me in previewing what we need to do at the Dragons to beat him this weekend,” Soward told NSWRL’s ‘Behind Blue Eyes’ podcast.

“He gives so much confidence to the side and gives Joey Manu confidence defensively and then knowing they are going to be able to diffuse kicks.

“As a back-three it doesn’t get any better than (James) Tedesco, Morris and (Daniel) Tupou.”

Tupou’s good form so far in 2021 could bring him back into the Bryden’s Lawyers NSW Blues team, according to Soward.

As for the Dragons, Soward said at the start of the 2021 season few would have rated the St George Illawarra pack.

“Guys like Paul Vaughan and Tariq Sims have played Origin, and you look at some of the additions we’ve had … Andrew McCullough is such a fantastic leader and then you get Josh McGuire on the weekend,” he said.

“It’s a sort of rag and tag pack … but they’ve worked really hard for each other to compete and put our try scorers in fantastic positions.”

Playing 22 games with the Roosters before his 140 with the Dragons, Soward is accustomed to the Anzac Day tradition and emotions.

“The build-up was like a semi-final ... everyone’s focus was on it,” he said.

“I played when it was the only game on Anzac Day so the build-up and the excitement walking into the ground – you could just feel it.

“Once the Last Post is played everyone takes a moment to realise how lucky we are to be able to play sport on that day, versus the men and women who fight and serve our country to protect our freedom.

“It’s emotional (hearing the bugle) because I would never have had the courage to go and do what those men and women did before me and still do today.

“It’s a real respect thing and recognition of the sacrifices they’ve made.”

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/04/24/sowards-anzac-plot-to-contain-b-moz/

Gareth67

First Grade
I say rest up Benny and unleash next week vs the Tigers then the Dogs, both very winnable games and both at home

If he should play , then my concern is that the chooks forwards could very well put a target on his back . Unless his leg is indeed 100% he could be facing more time on the sideline .

In saying that , I realize that the team needs him so as to have a real chance of winning the game , but only if Hunt has truly recovered from the injury .

redv13

Bench
Maybe swap out hunt for williame and start him on the bench. Could relieve McCullough or Clune depending on the way the game is going, doesn't have to play full minutes.
Not a bad idea tbh, Wiliame is getting 10 mins per game so if Hunt was to be 17 there’s no real loss with him sitting there. My concern is if he isn’t 100 % then why risk him with a chance of causing further injury. It’s round 7 and no need to risk our marquee hb with another 18 rounds to go. I’m sure Hook will take the safety approach and give him 1 more week then be sweet as apples for next Sunday vs the Tigers.

getsmarty

Immortal
  • Jason Nightingale reflects on why the ANZAC Day Cup is a special day
    2 hours ago
    Continuous Call Team
    NRL
    nightingalejason-2018-h_350.jpg

St George Illawarra legend Jason Nightingale says the ANZAC Day Cup between the Dragons and Roosters is a chance to give thanks to those who’ve gone before us.

Nightingale will walk out the ANZAC Day Cup alongside Roosters legend Mitch Aubusson before the two teams meet on Sunday.

The 34-year-old played in 11 straight ANZAC Day games throughout his career.

He told The Continuous Call Team it’s a great day to be part of.

“It’s an awesome moment to reflect and give thanks in your head for those who made the sacrifices,” Nightingale said.

“But also to give gratitude for the fact that we can commemorate and celebrate and remember the sacrifices that came before us.

“And really be grateful that we can celebrate through sport now rather than the sacrifices that were made.”

Sydney Roosters legend Mitch Aubusson played in nine ANZAC Day matches and will also walk out the cup alongside Nightingale tomorrow.

Here’s what he had to say about the special day.

The Roosters and Dragons will kick-off tomorrow at 4:05pm at the SCG.
https://www.4bc.com.au/jason-nightingale-reflects-on-why-the-anzac-day-cup-is-a-special-day/

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

McGuire reflects on busy first week as a Dragon

TEAM LISTS

Updated
Presented By

24-hour warning: Anzac Cup v Roosters
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 24 Apr 2021, 04:00 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has trimmed his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' traditional Anzac Cup clash against the Sydney Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday, April 25.

Ben Hunt (leg) has been ruled out after being named on Tuesday. Brayden Wiliame is the other player to make way from the initial 21-man squad.

Blake Lawrie (cork) returns in the front row for Trent Merrin, who announced his immediate retirement on Wednesday.

The game will kick-off at 4:05pm, with the official Anzac Day ceremony to commence at 3:45pm. It is encouraged that tickets be pre-purchased ahead of the anticipated sell out.

The Australia Defence Force team will once again act as a curtain raiser, although this year they will play against the Turkish Residents (1:50pm).

The traditional Anzac Cup clash fell victim to Covid-19 last year, with the Roosters currently holding the trophy following their 20-10 win in 2019.

Since 2002, the two teams have met on Anzac Day 18 times. The Dragons have won 11 Anzac Cup games to the Roosters' seven.

The Ashton-Collier Spirit of Anzac Medal will again be awarded to the Man of the Match.

St George Illawarra fans will again be given the opportunity to bid on player-worn commemorative jerseys leading into the NRL's Anzac Round. The auction will commence on Friday, April 23 with a proportion of the funds again to be donated to the Australian War Memorial.

Updated NRL squad for Round 7 v Sydney Roosters –
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Cody Ramsey – sponsored by Aspec Masonry
3. Jack Bird – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by TripADeal
7. Adam Clune – sponsored by Narellan Pools Illawarra
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Gym Solutions
9. Andrew McCullough (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox and Jones
11. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Sneaky Burger
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Modus Projects
13. Tyrell Fuimaono – sponsored by TLE Alexandria

Interchange:
14. Kaide Ellis – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
15. Josh McGuire – sponsored byDeicorp
16. Daniel Alvaro – sponsored by Manna from Heaven
18. Billy Burns – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
19. Poasa Faamausili
20. Jordan Pereira

Traditional Anzac Day fixture results (since 2002) –
2002: Sydney Roosters 24-20 St George Illawarra (Crowd: 20,578)
2003: St George Illawarra 24-20 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 26,014)
2004: Sydney Roosters 11-8 St George Illawarra (Crowd: 26,246)
2005: St George Illawarra 26-24 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 32,270)
2006: St George Illawarra 22-12 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 31,105)
2007: Sydney Roosters 18-4 St George Illawarra (Crowd: 18,240)
2008: St George Illawarra 26-6 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 21,596)
2009: St George Illawarra 29-0 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 28,926)
2010: St George Illawarra 28-6 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 36,212)
2011: St George Illawarra 24-10 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 34,976)
2012: St George Illawarra 28-24 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 40,164)
2013: Sydney Roosters 34-10 St George Illawarra (Crowd: 40,752)
2014: Sydney Roosters 34-14 St George Illawarra (Crowd: 38,784)
2015: St George Illawarra 14-12 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 35,110)
2016: St George Illawarra 20-18 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 34,483)
2017: Sydney Roosters 13-12 St George Illawarra in golden point (Crowd: 40,864)
2018: St George Illawarra 24-8 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 41,142)
2019: Sydney Roosters 20-10 St George Illawarra (Crowd: 38,414)

Ashton-Collier Spirit of Anzac Man of the Match medallists –
2010: Darius Boyd (St George Illawarra)
2011: Darius Boyd (St George Illawarra)
2012: Ben Hornby (St George Illawarra)
2013: Boyd Cordner (Sydney Roosters)
2014: Jake Friend (Sydney Roosters)
2015: Benji Marshall (St George Illawarra)
2016: Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra)
2017: Mitchell Pearce (Sydney Roosters)
2018: Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra)
2019: Boyd Cordner (Sydney Roosters)

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/04/20/nrl-team-announcement-anzac-cup-v-roosters/

Maddragon99

Juniors
remote.axd

McGuire reflects on busy first week as a Dragon

TEAM LISTS

Updated
Presented By

24-hour warning: Anzac Cup v Roosters
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 24 Apr 2021, 04:00 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has trimmed his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' traditional Anzac Cup clash against the Sydney Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday, April 25.

Ben Hunt (leg) has been ruled out after being named on Tuesday. Brayden Wiliame is the other player to make way from the initial 21-man squad.

Blake Lawrie (cork) returns in the front row for Trent Merrin, who announced his immediate retirement on Wednesday.

The game will kick-off at 4:05pm, with the official Anzac Day ceremony to commence at 3:45pm. It is encouraged that tickets be pre-purchased ahead of the anticipated sell out.

The Australia Defence Force team will once again act as a curtain raiser, although this year they will play against the Turkish Residents (1:50pm).

The traditional Anzac Cup clash fell victim to Covid-19 last year, with the Roosters currently holding the trophy following their 20-10 win in 2019.

Since 2002, the two teams have met on Anzac Day 18 times. The Dragons have won 11 Anzac Cup games to the Roosters' seven.

The Ashton-Collier Spirit of Anzac Medal will again be awarded to the Man of the Match.

St George Illawarra fans will again be given the opportunity to bid on player-worn commemorative jerseys leading into the NRL's Anzac Round. The auction will commence on Friday, April 23 with a proportion of the funds again to be donated to the Australian War Memorial.

Updated NRL squad for Round 7 v Sydney Roosters –
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Cody Ramsey – sponsored by Aspec Masonry
3. Jack Bird – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by TripADeal
7. Adam Clune – sponsored by Narellan Pools Illawarra
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Gym Solutions
9. Andrew McCullough (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox and Jones
11. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Sneaky Burger
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Modus Projects
13. Tyrell Fuimaono – sponsored by TLE Alexandria

Interchange:
14. Kaide Ellis – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
15. Josh McGuire – sponsored byDeicorp
16. Daniel Alvaro – sponsored by Manna from Heaven
18. Billy Burns – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
19. Poasa Faamausili
20. Jordan Pereira

Traditional Anzac Day fixture results (since 2002) –
2002: Sydney Roosters 24-20 St George Illawarra (Crowd: 20,578)
2003: St George Illawarra 24-20 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 26,014)
2004: Sydney Roosters 11-8 St George Illawarra (Crowd: 26,246)
2005: St George Illawarra 26-24 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 32,270)
2006: St George Illawarra 22-12 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 31,105)
2007: Sydney Roosters 18-4 St George Illawarra (Crowd: 18,240)
2008: St George Illawarra 26-6 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 21,596)
2009: St George Illawarra 29-0 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 28,926)
2010: St George Illawarra 28-6 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 36,212)
2011: St George Illawarra 24-10 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 34,976)
2012: St George Illawarra 28-24 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 40,164)
2013: Sydney Roosters 34-10 St George Illawarra (Crowd: 40,752)
2014: Sydney Roosters 34-14 St George Illawarra (Crowd: 38,784)
2015: St George Illawarra 14-12 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 35,110)
2016: St George Illawarra 20-18 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 34,483)
2017: Sydney Roosters 13-12 St George Illawarra in golden point (Crowd: 40,864)
2018: St George Illawarra 24-8 Sydney Roosters (Crowd: 41,142)
2019: Sydney Roosters 20-10 St George Illawarra (Crowd: 38,414)

Ashton-Collier Spirit of Anzac Man of the Match medallists –
2010: Darius Boyd (St George Illawarra)
2011: Darius Boyd (St George Illawarra)
2012: Ben Hornby (St George Illawarra)
2013: Boyd Cordner (Sydney Roosters)
2014: Jake Friend (Sydney Roosters)
2015: Benji Marshall (St George Illawarra)
2016: Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra)
2017: Mitchell Pearce (Sydney Roosters)
2018: Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra)
2019: Boyd Cordner (Sydney Roosters)

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/04/20/nrl-team-announcement-anzac-cup-v-roosters/
Glad to see the Williame experiment has ended with Billy Burns coming into the squad. I don’t think Hunt was ever a realistic chance of playing I’d prefer he’s not rushed back.

I think the boys can get the job done, Saints by 12 Tariq Sims man of the match.

jeffdragon

Bench
Prefer hunt to comeback with a bit more rest.
Rigers dogs next up

I hope the dogs don't win v us..
That would be a huge downer.

Latest posts